Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

They’ve only been manufacturing in cologne for 90 years, it’s nowt to do with Brexit. 

Then it's a perfect opportunity to be the new kids on the block

Your lack of ambition is a surprise and a disappointment.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Why doesn’t your company diversify and capture the EV tech market in the Uk. Massive opportunity there. 

We are already set up for different products.

I'm referring to all the shiny new factories and fully trained operatives we don't currently have.

We didn't ask Cadbury's to make Spitfires did we?

Just now, Spider said:

We are already set up for different products.

I'm referring to all the shiny new factories and fully trained operatives we don't currently have.

We didn't ask Cadbury's to make Spitfires did we?

No we didn’t. We’ve just undergone a corporate restructure which is all centered around EV technology. That’s driving the bus now for want of a better phrase. 

the last thing we would’ve wanted is to get into this but it’s a necessity. Our core business which was combustion vehicles is dying with a clear date the life support gets switched off. If we aren’t ready we die then as well. There will be some manufacturers that do die off. Of that I’m in no doubt. 

wont be the first industry and won’t be the last.  It’s the modern world isn’t it and the tree huggers of course. 

43 minutes ago, Spider said:

@Mounts Kipper says you all lack ambition and this isn’t what he wants.

WE should be targeting manufacturing 

I agree, we probably should, but only things that we're good at, and we aren't good at cars.

Fuck knows what we should be concentrating on, and how long it will take to set up - but we shouldn't be wasting our time on the Automotive sector, that's for sure.

For all this talk of "balancing the economy" I'm not sure that we'll ever do it with commodity level manufacturing, it has to be high end and renewables if anything, and even then we'll struggle, especially if we do go "free trade" with the CPTPP. I think we just have to hope that we can retain what we already have and grow our services, as that's what we really seem to be good at

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I agree, we probably should, but only things that we're good at, and we aren't good at cars.

Fuck knows what we should be concentrating on, and how long it will take to set up - but we shouldn't be wasting our time on the Automotive sector, that's for sure.

For all this talk of "balancing the economy" I'm not sure that we'll ever do it with commodity level manufacturing, it has to be high end and renewables if anything, and even then we'll struggle, especially if we do go "free trade" with the CPTPP. I think we just have to hope that we can retain what we already have and grow our services, as that's what we really seem to be good at

@Mounts Kipper Genuine question then - what industries should we be ploughing our manufacturing efforts into?

Cars

Fishing Boats

Anything the Chinese currently make for a dollar

38 minutes ago, Spider said:

@Mounts Kipper Genuine question then - what industries should we be ploughing our manufacturing efforts into?

Cars

Fishing Boats

Anything the Chinese currently make for a dollar

That’s really for the government to decide, but I’d guess cutting edge technology & engineering and green innovation projects. 

5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Renewables is going to be massive But I don’t know enough about the tech but assume we will be right up there with the ROW in this respect so should create massive opportunities?

We are right up there

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

We are right up there

We're a long way behind when it comes to Heat Pumps.

All imported from the far east, Europe and Scandinavia.

I don't know of anyone willing to set up in the UK. An Irish manufacturer were planning to do so but have now increased their factory in Ireland instead.

Solar is still (and will always be) a limited option in the UK anyway.

Wind farms etc.. may be different, but I don't know much about them.

The problem is always going to be that it's cheaper to import from the far east than set up here - hence the reason people are getting giddy about the Trading Bloc dealing Liz Truss is working on.

Catch. 22.