Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

12 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm not sure I've suggested she has to act

But GMP conduct investigations on the evidence available and are now reassessing their decision to close the investigation in light of new evidence 

She may be found not to have committed any offence, but my comment was addressing the sentiment that it doesn't matter if she has committed fraud because it pales into insignificance compared either to Lord Ashcroft's tax evasion, or the behaviour of Tory MPs

I do not think there is any new evidence, the complainant James Daly has said he does not think his complaint was properly investigated. Which why it is still running. So at the moment she has been found to have done nothing wrong. 

So the Police are checking if complaint was properly investigated they have not reopened the investigation due to new evidence.

2 minutes ago, Ani said:

I do not think there is any new evidence, the complainant James Daly has said he does not think his complaint was properly investigated. Which why it is still running. So at the moment she has been found to have done nothing wrong. 

So the Police are checking if complaint was properly investigated they have not reopened the investigation due to new evidence.

The police are currently investigating whether they investigated properly first time around.

Seems a good use of time and resources.

13 minutes ago, Ani said:

There were fresh accusations in the Mail on Sunday

8 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

No, but it's seemingly enough for GMP to reassess their investigation (or as I think it is, decision not to investigate)

Where has it been said they are reassessing their decision ? 

2 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

No

I think you do but the MOS is the mouth piece of the Tory party, so anything they say is taken with a pinch of salt. Same way if the roles were reversed and it was the Guardian attacking a Tory I would say it was clutching at straws. 

1 minute ago, Ani said:

I think you do but the MOS is the mouth piece of the Tory party, so anything they say is taken with a pinch of salt. Same way if the roles were reversed and it was the Guardian attacking a Tory I would say it was clutching at straws. 

If there's a newspaper that's the mouthpiece of the Tory party, it's The Telegraph rather than the MOS

But personally, I wouldn't dismiss a claim solely because it's been published by a particular newspaper

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

There were fresh accusations in the Mail on Sunday

In the article I read earlier, they'd found photographs from before she was an MP that she'd posted on social media, with comments referring to her husbands property as "home". Is that really the basis for these "fresh accusations", or have I missed something?

Edited by Cheese

15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Just like the met did after initially saying Boris had done nowt wrong.

I thought the MET investigated after new evidence came out. GMP are not investigating new evidence they are checking the complaint was handled properly. It is not the same. 

If/when there is new credible evidence there might be a case for her responding but untill then this a story being driven by the political affiliation of news outlet. 

Just now, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

If there's a newspaper that's the mouthpiece of the Tory party, it's The Telegraph rather than the MOS

But personally, I wouldn't dismiss a claim solely because it's been published by a particular newspaper

As you say it is a 'claim' not 'evidence'

I claim you know what I meant in my earlier post but have no evidence, so I won't call you a liar as I might be wrong. 

Just now, Ani said:

As you say it is a 'claim' not 'evidence'

I claim you know what I meant in my earlier post but have no evidence, so I won't call you a liar as I might be wrong. 

You are wrong

And the word claim was meant generally fwiw

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

In the article I read earlier, they'd found photographs from before she was an MP that she'd posted on social media with comments referring to her husbands property as "home". Is that really the basis for these "fresh accusations", or have I missed something?

Just been reading up, she had  a kid born prematurely at 23 weeks (i think) she had bought her ex council house as had her husband. They were transitioning into one household from 2, but she was spent most of her time with the kid in intensive care so 'home' was pretty fluid. 

Clearly one side of the story but hardly the actions of a major fraud investigation. 

8 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

You are wrong

And the word claim was meant generally fwiw

Which makes the point that a 'claim' is not evidence. 

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

This is the tip of the iceberg, if Labour get into power it'll be this sort of stuff constantly - they are going to have to get used to the attack dogs and those who like to swallow a ton of Mail propaganda.

The usuals are going to have to get their copies of the Mail laminated before it’s delivered 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Ani said:

I thought the MET investigated after new evidence came out. GMP are not investigating new evidence they are checking the complaint was handled properly. It is not the same. 

If/when there is new credible evidence there might be a case for her responding but untill then this a story being driven by the political affiliation of news outlet. 

What might make them think their initial investigation was not handled correctly?

New information perhaps, that they weren't previously in possession of?

You can label that as you like, but it is then for the police to check any relevance, accuracy, and to determine if a crime has been committed. 

As for Boris, I have no idea if new details were presented or not, but there was certainly a lot of comment from the opposition and the media about the initial findings.

Unlike the situation now, with essentially nothing from the government, and just a single news outlet continuing their own work.

And the respective outcomes, so far, are poles apart, despite the fact that one was an FPN (not a crime) and the latest one is a potential fraud.

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

What might make them think their initial investigation was not handled correctly?

New information perhaps, that they weren't previously in possession of?

You can label that as you like, but it is then for the police to check any relevance, accuracy, and to determine if a crime has been committed. 

As for Boris, I have no idea if new details were presented or not, but there was certainly a lot of comment from the opposition and the media about the initial findings.

Unlike the situation now, with essentially nothing from the government, and just a single news outlet continuing their own work.

And the respective outcomes, so far, are poles apart, despite the fact that one was an FPN (not a crime) and the latest one is a potential fraud.

They got a letter of the complainant saying it had not been properly investigated that they are bound to check. Same most institutions do before something is formally closed. 

Boris new evidence was found hence the case was reopened. One led to a Fixed Penalty Notice because the rules were broken, the other has not found any wrong doing. In one the then PM was found to have misled Parliament in the other someone is just not commenting. 

Edited by Ani

25 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

The usuals are going to have to get their copies of the Mail laminated before it’s delivered 

it's amazing, some are absolutely desperate for her to be found guilty of wrong doing (to the tune of around £1500) and yet are happy to let some Tory party members get away with what they have over the last couple of years