Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
Just now, Escobarp said:

Don’t be bringing facts on here pal. You’ve been warned about this before 

wouldn't mind, but he asked about this ages back. I looked into it and put up a link!

One of the issues was that foreign companies bought some of the British trawlers, thus allowing them access to the fishing rights owned by locals. A simplified explanation, but its out there.

Can't be doing with this belittling of the value of fishing. If we add up the value of a lot of little industries they end up coming to a large amount. All paying taxes and employing people.

Be no good if we all ended up in a few types of industry. Especially if they were affected in some way.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

wouldn't mind, but he asked about this ages back. I looked into it and put up a link!

One of the issues was that foreign companies bought some of the British trawlers, thus allowing them access to the fishing rights owned by locals. A simplified explanation, but its out there.

Can't be doing with this belittling of the value of fishing. If we add up the value of a lot of little industries they end up coming to a large amount. All paying taxes and employing people.

Be no good if we all ended up in a few types of industry. Especially if they were affected in some way.

Spot on pal, from small acorns 👍

There'd be complaints off many on here if there were no fish to eat.......to make it even more worthwhile, put the cost up for the EU to eat our fish 😂😂😂

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

I'm hoping these will solve it........though we may be accused of being shelfish 😳

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/46401558

Just been to Port logan fish pond. Been a couple of times previously and quite interesting if just a bit small.

Didn't realise just how colourful some of our fish are. A Gurnard with blue tinged fins- the eu would love them.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Just been to Port logan fish pond. Been a couple of times previously and quite interesting if just a bit small.

Didn't realise just how colourful some of our fish are. A Gurnard with blue tinged fins- the eu would love them.

Did you get chips with them?

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

There's loads of them on here pal..........oops, I thought you said gurners 😂

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

What about this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52420116

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Escobarp said:

This is one of the best articles on it https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/52420116

it’s a very complex issue. Certainly not what the leave campaign made It out to be  and not as simplistic as you are attempting to either 

Explains the complexity of the negotiations. 

From our point of view, once the rights are due for renewal, we could only sell them to genuinely British companies, not ones owned by foreigners. Can't see us doing that though, as much of our fish is sold abroad so as long as British boats (ones harboured here) and employing local people wherever possible, then the rest can be negotiated.

• Site Supporter

As a nation, we eat far less seafood than the likes of Spain. They like fishing in our waters because of the demand in their own country.

I know a bloke in Scotland who farms razorshells. 95% of his stock goes to Spain.

We only eat fishfingers and battered nonsense here.

It' doesn't look like we have much control right now, or that we will in the future, but it would be nice to think Brexit will see that change in our favour. Here's hoping.

2 hours ago, Spider said:

As a nation, we eat far less seafood than the likes of Spain. They like fishing in our waters because of the demand in their own country.

I know a bloke in Scotland who farms razorshells. 95% of his stock goes to Spain.

It' doesn't look like we have much control right now, or that we will in the future, but it would be nice to think Brexit will see that change in our favour. Here's hoping.

There is some weird quirk where we export about 80% of the fish we catch, but then import twice as much, so there is a fairly big deficit. I do recall when I was in China, and we had langoustines, they delighted in telling me that they came from Scotland (apparently, and it may be wrong, but there is only the UK that will ship them "live" to China....which sounds a bit cruel)

I know the budget retailers like Aldi and Lidl make a big point of trying to sell British caught fish, which is good.....but odd considering they're foreign types

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Sweep said:

There is some weird quirk where we export about 80% of the fish we catch, but then import twice as much, so there is a fairly big deficit. I do recall when I was in China, and we had langoustines, they delighted in telling me that they came from Scotland (apparently, and it may be wrong, but there is only the UK that will ship them "live" to China....which sounds a bit cruel)

I know the budget retailers like Aldi and Lidl make a big point of trying to sell British caught fish, which is good.....but odd considering they're foreign types

At least they get to go on a nice holiday before they're boiled alive :-)

11 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Explains the complexity of the negotiations. 

From our point of view, once the rights are due for renewal, we could only sell them to genuinely British companies, not ones owned by foreigners. Can't see us doing that though, as much of our fish is sold abroad so as long as British boats (ones harboured here) and employing local people wherever possible, then the rest can be negotiated.

Must be important, else the EU wouldn't be making such an issue of it.

Or would they?

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Spider said:

Never used to be like that. The disappearance of many fishmongers and reliance on supermarkets has, in part seen to that.

Hugh fearnley whittingstall did one of his promotions of alternative fish to traditional cod and haddock in the interests of sustainability. Looked at pollock and folk liked it when they tried it.

Try getting it, even at the fish market though!