Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

They don't provide a valid argument, it'sjust anti-Tory drivvle, although Gavin Williamson is out of his depth, but it's not up to me or anyone on here to sack him. Its unprecedented, its shit, but its something we have never done before and collectively it's been shit. Without actual written exams there is NO solution, whatever the govt, ofqual, dfe would have come up with, it would have failed, and that doesn't matter who is in power.

👍

There are issues over education all over Europe and beyond.

Whether it be exams or normal teaching. Spanish teachers may be about to strike as they're concerned about safety.

It is a big mess, but as you say, at times some of the reaction is extraordinary and frankly selfish.

Even if the new method is the best way, it has now created its own set of problems for universities. 

Nothing was ever going to replace exams.

1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

About 40% had lower grades. That is not a small group.

What percentage of the teachers predicted grades were above those actually attained last year ?

UCAS Seem to think it was quite high:

While around two in five individual grades are predicted correctly (and another two in five are better than might actually be achieved), a pupil’s overall results are less likely to be accurate.

Research based on UCAS data looking at predictions for pupil’s point score based on their three best A-Level results - typically what university offers look like - found just one in six (16%) were spot-on.

However, three-quarters of scores were overestimated (75%), and just 9% were lower than the student eventually achieved.

The research found that 45% of optimistic predictions were mostly just one or two grades out - so instead of the predicted AAA result, the student got AAB.

For those under-predicted, 6% were one grade out, 2% were two grades out and one in 1,000 (0.1%) were four grades out.

Poorer performing pupils tend to be more over-predicted - those who achieved EEE grades were predicted to get CCD.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/heres-how-accurate-predicted-gcse-17972817

The govt fucked up by U-Turning. Teachers have been fucking up the predicted grades for years.

Whilst the algo might not be the most accurate, its possibly more accurate than the initial teachers grades.

• Moderators

Its BD that clearly reckons we shouldve had exams

He probably blames the bbc and the unions for the fact we didnt which begs the question why we dont just fuck the politicians off...probably makes sense

Where is bozo, by the way

Ps, logistical nightmare...nice one

4 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

The grades were 40% lower than the teachers CAG's, hence 40% inflation on average over the past 3 years.

That doesn't apply to all centres, some put their grades up around 12%, some near to 60%. 

Aye, spot on. Like I said before, teachers always over estimate grades. 

4 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Hiding? Not allowing people to do what they’re paid to do and face the flak accordingly? Strange how people see things so diffident. 

Genuinely never seen so little of a PM as long as I’ve been aware of such a thing. Maggie was in the news daily, as was Blair. Cameron with his face ‘like a freshly wanked penis’ was never off the box. 

This bloke? Saw more of the prick when he was mayor of London. 

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Genuinely never seen so little of a PM as long as I’ve been aware of such a thing. Maggie was in the news daily, as was Blair. Cameron with his face ‘like a freshly wanked penis’ was never off the box. 

This bloke? Saw more of the prick when he was mayor of London. 

He’s delegating, dummy. Or throwing his cabinet of chancers under the bus, depending on your view.

Even Trump works harder.

4 minutes ago, Spider said:

He’s delegating, dummy. Or throwing his cabinet of chancers under the bus, depending on your view.

Even Trump works harder.

My favourite fuckwit of the lot is Priti. She’s ace she is. 

Be tough on the perpetrators of counter terrorism and look after the victims of counter terrorism.

Genius that lass

Edited by mickbrown

6 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

And thats the only thing that matters to you. No-one else can have any of the blame, only the government. Unless its a red one, obvs. In which case its all the oppositions fault.

Consistent, persistent and he’ll have his one vote in a few years.

Mick has his faults, but is much more rational in his diagnosis.

12 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

And thats the only thing that matters to you. No-one else can have any of the blame, only the government. Unless its a red one, obvs. In which case its all the oppositions fault.

Not really as I have already said that Ofqual share the blame in this. What Labour would or would not do is irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Not really as I have already said that Ofqual share the blame in this. What Labour would or would not do is irrelevant.

Could you aswer me one question please, If the teachers told their sudents their predicted grades every April, and then after sitting the exams, 40% of the actual grades were lower than the predicted ones, would that be the Govt & exam boards fault ? Perhaps they gave them the wrong exams ? Marked people down for an aggresive style of writing ? Automatically reduced the score by 10% for 'certain' schools ?

Because the predicted grades tend to always have about 40% highre than those the students actually attain.

However, we should be proud. the class of 2020 is now officially, by some margin I may add, the cleverest this country has ever produced.

And the Teachers that taught them this year, are the best ever, as proven by the grades, and deserve a huge pay rise.

50 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

My favourite fuckwit of the lot is Priti. She’s ace she is. 

I've got a feeling that she might have a decent set of bangers. Anyone know?

If so, she should make the most of them to detract from how fucking awful she is as both a politician and a person in general.

3 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Could you aswer me one question please, If the teachers told their sudents their predicted grades every April, and then after sitting the exams, 40% of the actual grades were lower than the predicted ones, would that be the Govt & exam boards fault ? Perhaps they gave them the wrong exams ? Marked people down for an aggresive style of writing ? Automatically reduced the score by 10% for 'certain' schools ?

Because the predicted grades tend to always have about 40% highre than those the students actually attain.

However, we should be proud. the class of 2020 is now officially, by some margin I may add, the cleverest this country has ever produced.

And the Teachers that taught them this year, are the best ever, as proven by the grades, and deserve a huge pay rise.

There was no perfect solution.  However, with no exams to use for grading students the next best thing was using the teachers estimates.  They know the individuals and whilst grades are inflated it is still preferable to the algorithm. This system disproportionately downgraded pupils from less well off areas and those from schools with a poor exam history which could never be the fair way to resolve this problem. 

• Site Supporter
51 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Did well, some strong arming too by the sounds of it.

They did have the advantage of a proper functioning testing and tracing set up, and fewer deaths to help politicians enforce the message.

Not sure how they'd have managed that here when April and May were the peak times. 

• Site Supporter

My son was predicted A* in GCSE geography 10 years ago. His exam result was D. Maybe what it highlighted his ability (inability)  to recall facts and figures. 

He went on to get a first in his degree course.

• Site Supporter
54 minutes ago, MickyD said:

My son was predicted A* in GCSE geography 10 years ago. His exam result was D. Maybe what it highlighted his ability (inability)  to recall facts and figures. 

He went on to get a first in his degree course.

What in, not Geography surely?