Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

10 minutes ago, Cheese said:

It's still good news. It's just not as straight forward as the tweet made out. 

It certainly isn't, or it would be all over the BBC

Edited by boltondiver

I suspect if Boris gets the job, and we have a new Cabinet that is more pro-leave we still have to try and negotiate a FTA with our friends in the EU

Barnier and co. can see what’s coming and I suspect their first move will be to miraculously offer to drop the Irish Backstop from TM’s failed deal, this would offer the Remainers and the half hearted Leavers a way out, if this was then put to a vote I think it may get a majority

If the EU offer this or something similar there will be a lot of pressure on Boris to put it to Parliament 

It won’t be a clean Brexit, so it depends how determined Boris and his new Cabinet are to achieve a definite break

22 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

I suspect if Boris gets the job, and we have a new Cabinet that is more pro-leave we still have to try and negotiate a FTA with our friends in the EU

Barnier and co. can see what’s coming and I suspect their first move will be to miraculously offer to drop the Irish Backstop from TM’s failed deal, this would offer the Remainers and the half hearted Leavers a way out, if this was then put to a vote I think it may get a majority

If the EU offer this or something similar there will be a lot of pressure on Boris to put it to Parliament 

It won’t be a clean Brexit, so it depends how determined Boris and his new Cabinet are to achieve a definite break

Basically TM’s deal then 

Plenty in the ERG have said it’s a rubbish deal though? 

Personally I didn’t mind it 

I understand the concerns about the never ending back stop but thought it highly unlikely it would ever come to that 

• Members
7 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Which is the point I was making!

All 3 team up, a bit like the DUP and Tories do now to get things through the house.

Only one problem I can see there. A split 'right' vote may mean that the Marxist antisemites were the biggest party. Doesn't that give them first dibs at forming government? An alliance with those ingrates from the SNP and sinking into the abyss becomes a real possibility.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Only one problem I can see there. A split 'right' vote may mean that the Marxist antisemites were the biggest party. Doesn't that give them first dibs at forming government? An alliance with those ingrates from the SNP and sinking into the abyss becomes a real possibility.

Possible, though I reckon the lib Dems would split the marxists' vote.

Certainly interesting times if they don't get it sorted.

• Members
41 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Possible, though I reckon the lib Dems would split the marxists' vote.

Certainly interesting times if they don't get it sorted.

What a clusterfuck that would be!!! TBP, Conservative, Illiberal Undemocrats and the For The Many Not The Jew Party all getting a similar amount of seats.

Could that be a pre-cursor to proportional representation?

58 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Labour need to get rid of Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott and return to centre left or they will never get in power IMO.

Corbyn supporters retort to this would be - centre left like Gordon Brown and Ed Milliband who both polled a lot less than Corbyn did in GE's....

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Corbyn supporters retort to this would be - centre left like Gordon Brown and Ed Milliband who both polled a lot less than Corbyn did in GE's....

True, but even Milliband would have fared better against May than Corbyn, he is useless. 

Just now, Winchester White said:

True, but even Milliband would have fared better against May than Corbyn, he is useless. 

I personally have some sympathy with Corbyn supporters in their argument that just picking a "centre left" option is not necessarily the answer. I think you have to look at the situation - where moderates are not exactly the flavour of the month anywhere. Whilst Corbyn loses some middle ground, I do think he picks up a large number of voters that a centre left option loses. 

I absolutely agree he needs to go, because he is hopeless as a leader and clueless. But I don't think there is an obvious winning choice to replace him. The party is split in 3 and its hard to reconcile it. The Tories are the same but the difference is that they currently hold more sway with the average electorate. Almost the reverse of Blair vs Howard....

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

What a clusterfuck that would be!!! TBP, Conservative, Illiberal Undemocrats and the For The Many Not The Jew Party all getting a similar amount of seats.

Could that be a pre-cursor to proportional representation?

Chuck in the snp and potentially a few more greens all having the potential for more influence...

15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Chuck in the snp and potentially a few more greens all having the potential for more influence...

And those potential scenarios will be factored in to the decisions being made on both sides of the debate. I posted a couple of GE timetables on the politics thread and the more you work it out an early vote of no confidence is becoming more likely now, maybe as early as Johnson's first day on 24thJuly, what a baptism of fire that would be!

Edited by Salford Trotter

8 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Labour need to get rid of Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott and return to centre left or they will never get in power IMO.

Tonight’s programme on the Labour Party on BBC should be lively and hopefully informative.

Interesting programme too on BBC 1 at 10-35, something to do with a chap joining the far right.

In other matters, not good seeing Merkel shaking like a shitting dog again for the third time in a few weeks.

As much as I dislike the hairy beaver sour Kraut, I hope she isn’t hiding a serious illness. If she is, she needs to concentrate on that now especially as her reign is coming to an end shortly.

22 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Agree. Horrible watching her shaking like that. If she is just dehydrated again, then surely that needs checking out.

Come on Kent, what's the score.

It's possible - but shaking isn't one of the major things I'd be looking out for as a symptom of dehydration.

Very strange - especially for it to be happening so regularly. Anxiety maybe? Or something nuerological? Seems to happen at moments when she is required to be still and all eyes are on her. Also seems to come out of nowhere.

Dehydration would be right down the list of possible causes for me.

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

It's possible - but shaking isn't one of the major things I'd be looking out for as a symptom of dehydration.

Very strange - especially for it to be happening so regularly. Anxiety maybe? Or something nuerological? Seems to happen at moments when she is required to be still and all eyes are on her. Also seems to come out of nowhere.

Dehydration would be right down the list of possible causes for me.

What do you reckon it could be mate ?

Early signs of something ?

I’ve honestly no idea, so wanted to ask an expert.

None were available, so I asked you :D

Joking aside, my uncle is in your place first thing tomorrow for a life saving op, he’s got the big C in his bowel, they found it early enough after a routine blood test at the GP’s, never been ill in all the days I’ve known him.

Mildest, quietest bloke you’d ever wish to meet, lovely chap.

Watch him smash the bloody ward coming out of theatre now I’ve said that haha.

4 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

What do you reckon it could be mate ?

Early signs of something ?

I’ve honestly no idea, so wanted to ask an expert.

None were available, so I asked you :D

Joking aside, my uncle is in your place first thing tomorrow for a life saving op, he’s got the big C in his bowel, they found it early enough after a routine blood test at the GP’s, never been ill in all the days I’ve known him.

Mildest, quietest bloke you’d ever wish to meet, lovely chap.

Watch him smash the bloody ward coming out of theatre now I’ve said that haha.

:) - no idea mate - but it's not normal to start shaking uncontrollably for no reason. Could be a hypo, or anxiety or neuro.

Hope all goes well with your uncle by the way. I'm back out in the community nowadays or I could have met you for a brew!

Edited by kent_white

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, kent_white said:

:) - no idea mate - but it's not normal to start shaking uncontrollably for no reason. Could be a hypo, or anxiety or neuro.

Hope all goes well with your uncle by the way. I'm back out in the community nowadays or I could have met you for a straightener.

:)

Back on Merkel, why would the authorities keep saying dehydration, if it's such an unlikely cause?

Just adds to rumours.