Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread


gonzo

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

You really love putting words in people's mouths.

Also, I'm sorry you think I make stuff up, I really am; because that would mean you think I could be bothered to to that on a small football forum. Which probably shines a light on how much you view this place over me.

That aside, have a lovely evening. I'll leave you now to post some laughing emoji's on my post and then try and have a similar nonsensical point scoring post debate with someone else.

“I should know” 😂😂🤡 🏃🏻‍♂️

 

Toodle pip 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Traf said:

No good for you, your wife can sync it to her phone and see exactly where you are all day.

Ill stick to never know the time thanks :D

 

8 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

It's more about the app - you can join local running groups, join the local run loop for the 5k etc and track it all. Plus all the V2o things (although I'm not sure how food they are) then GPS when you are on long runs that can link to your Google.

It's like taking a phone out with you but more desiged for activity.

 

All sounds lovely. Sure you can do all that on strava though?

Fuck knows. Leave em to it. Ill spend my money on over inflated drugs and hookers instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Nothing ever changes - quite comforting in a way to know folk can have a set to about a sport's watch 😁

Quite. Our resident Walter Mitty/fantasist/white Rudy has found another subject he’s an expert in 🙄

Edited by royal white
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Decided to drive to the Cat & Fiddle t’other side of Macc yesterday morning. Ran around the Goyt Valley, up past Windgather Rocks, Shining Tor, up and down a shitload of other valleys, Lamaload reservoir, up Teggs Nose, through Macc Forest to Shutlingsloe and then back up through Wildboar Clough. 26.2 miles, 6500ft of ascent. My right knee was starting to ache around 13 miles. At 19, I got my phone out and nearly booked an Uber… but soldiered on in serious pain. The uphills and flats were ok, the downhills were crucifying me. Great route. Weather held off – but was blowing a hoolie!

Can’t walk today! And just want to eat shit. Lots of it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Decided to drive to the Cat & Fiddle t’other side of Macc yesterday morning. Ran around the Goyt Valley, up past Windgather Rocks, Shining Tor, up and down a shitload of other valleys, Lamaload reservoir, up Teggs Nose, through Macc Forest to Shutlingsloe and then back up through Wildboar Clough. 26.2 miles, 6500ft of ascent. My right knee was starting to ache around 13 miles. At 19, I got my phone out and nearly booked an Uber… but soldiered on in serious pain. The uphills and flats were ok, the downhills were crucifying me. Great route. Weather held off – but was blowing a hoolie!

Can’t walk today! And just want to eat shit. Lots of it!

Brilliant. I miss fell and trail running.  A culmination of apathy and injuries has meant I'm doing the couch to 5k in reverse.  Can't see me ever getting back to the distances and frequency that I used to run but I've decided to get back on it in the new year, try and shift some of this timber I've put on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
41 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Brilliant. I miss fell and trail running.  A culmination of apathy and injuries has meant I'm doing the couch to 5k in reverse.  Can't see me ever getting back to the distances and frequency that I used to run but I've decided to get back on it in the new year, try and shift some of this timber I've put on.

you the chap who used to parkrun with BruceR?

memory fades

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Brilliant. I miss fell and trail running.  A culmination of apathy and injuries has meant I'm doing the couch to 5k in reverse.  Can't see me ever getting back to the distances and frequency that I used to run but I've decided to get back on it in the new year, try and shift some of this timber I've put on.

I’m fine with the apathy side of things. But the injuries, they just do my head in!

Reading, for the second time, “Older Next Year”. It’s a worthwhile read for those nearing their 50s (that’s when I first read it). And a must for those who’ve gone past 50. All about decay, atrophy, exercise, strength training, reversing the ageing process, wellbeing, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
19 hours ago, Smiley said:

Decided to drive to the Cat & Fiddle t’other side of Macc yesterday morning. Ran around the Goyt Valley, up past Windgather Rocks, Shining Tor, up and down a shitload of other valleys, Lamaload reservoir, up Teggs Nose, through Macc Forest to Shutlingsloe and then back up through Wildboar Clough. 26.2 miles, 6500ft of ascent. My right knee was starting to ache around 13 miles. At 19, I got my phone out and nearly booked an Uber… but soldiered on in serious pain. The uphills and flats were ok, the downhills were crucifying me. Great route. Weather held off – but was blowing a hoolie!

Can’t walk today! And just want to eat shit. Lots of it!

You're bonkers!

Look after your knees.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
5 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Yes - be careful with those knees - completely messed up my running for a good couple of years - its only now with hours and hours of boring leg strengthening excersizes that I can run 5k without being unable to move for the next week.

my lad is mid 20s and hes fucked himself right up

only did it to raise some money for charity

5k a day for a month in pretty standard trainers

 

a few have looked at him inc some private attempts

think hes doing the exercise route as he had one minor surgery and another bash - i think - at acupuncture

do you have an exercise programme to share?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Casino said:

my lad is mid 20s and hes fucked himself right up

only did it to raise some money for charity

5k a day for a month in pretty standard trainers

 

a few have looked at him inc some private attempts

think hes doing the exercise route as he had one minor surgery and another bash - i think - at acupuncture

do you have an exercise programme to share?

Let me dig it out what the NHS sent me - it's nothing earth shattering but it's things like:

- One leg knee bends 15 x 3 reps

- Step stretches 10 x 3 reps

- Knee bends with back against the wall 10 x 3 reps (with weights or a weighted backback if not available)

- Resistance bands when sat down working

What really helped was using a leg curl machine at the gym so strengthing the muscle around the knee and balance boards which you can buy for about £15 - what shocked me was I was doing miles and miles but when asked to balance on one leg and do knee bends I was all over the shop which showed them the muscles around the knees were weak.

Then building up the miles slowly on a running machine rather than out on the roads, so doing a 1km, then walking, then another and then walking on an incline. Also using kettlebells to strengthen my core which has helped my over-pronating and pressure I put through my right knee. 

Also, I wasn't warming up before going out, so I always do that now and I stop/slow down if I ever feel any twinge or pain, and finally lose weight so the pressure is less. Finally understanding rest days are just as important as run days

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Casino said:

my lad is mid 20s and hes fucked himself right up

only did it to raise some money for charity

5k a day for a month in pretty standard trainers

 

a few have looked at him inc some private attempts

think hes doing the exercise route as he had one minor surgery and another bash - i think - at acupuncture

do you have an exercise programme to share?

what issue was found with his knee?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.