Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bury

gonzo

I think the fuss that the community around Bury FC are rightly creating is in the end likely to play out in them being placed higher in the football pyramid than would otherwise have been the case. I think the natural route for a phoenix club from our part of the world would be for them to end up in the North West Counties League. It's a difficult thing to predict as  one of the committees/governing bodies that run the various levels of the pyramid would have to agree to accept Bury and therefore dealing with the attendant reorganisation and promotion/relegation complications that would follow. I wish them well in their bid to start life next year in League 2, it's a tough ask. A fair alternative might be National League North. There's clearly a lot of water to go under the bridge before these things get decided.

It could work in their favour that there's so long to work on it, if a club goes pop in April they would have to concentrate all their efforts on just having a team in any league by that summer.  As you say another league would have to reorganise itself to accept Bury next season, but not so League 2 which should welcome the chance to have Bury if they can be competitive.  If they avoid liquidation its the obvious place for them to play next season, but if they are a new phoenix club that wouldn't be an option.  

Pretty sure I heard someone from EFL saying L2 is a no no and they'll have to apply to the FA to find a place in the lower leagues.

In which case is Gigg Lane a sustainable option? Presumably that still belongs to the company Dale owns anyway.

Nightmare for them and so relieved it hasn't happened to us.

2 hours ago, Hoppy510 said:

Pretty sure I heard someone from EFL saying L2 is a no no and they'll have to apply to the FA to find a place in the lower leagues.

In which case is Gigg Lane a sustainable option? Presumably that still belongs to the company Dale owns anyway.

Nightmare for them and so relieved it hasn't happened to us.

Not necessarily Dale that is the problem on that one, more the loans that Day got against the ground before him.