Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Amazon rainforest

deane koontz

• Site Supporter

This new president of Brazil isn't helping. Neither is the attitude of society in general.

Strangely, just the other day, I had a curry from Tesco: made with chicken from Thailand and Brazil.

Also just found a place near where I'm staying, that imports and processes chicken from Brazil amongst other places. No wonder the planet is suffering.

13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Strangely, just the other day, I had a curry from Tesco: made with chicken from Thailand and Brazil.

Also just found a place near where I'm staying, that imports and processes chicken from Brazil amongst other places. No wonder the planet is suffering.

Brazil is a massive exporter of poultry

I'm not surprised that a Tesco meal had meat products from places other than the UK, sadly, that's down to us as the customer who always want lower and lower prices  -  it's bonkers that a chicken can be born, reared, killed and then exported to the UK for a lower cost than we can do it ourselves.

Talking of chickens....I'm doing some work with a customer who puts the electronics into these massive chicken sheds that are scattered all over the country. He was telling me that under natural circumstances it should take about 18-20 weeks for a chicken to reach maturity, so it can be eaten......with the help of the artificial lighting systems that he does, this is sped up to about 6-8 weeks. Amazing stuff really. He was telling me that in the UK, we rear and kill over 1B chickens a year now . Massive business is this chicken farming malarky

1 hour ago, maaarsh said:

If it's any consolation, the UK has been increasing tree coverage year on year for a while now.

Including the smithills estate. The Woodland Trust plan to plant summat like 300k trees up there. We planted a few hundred with work. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, stevieb said:

In 50 years, if its owt like kielder that started planning 100 years ago it will be amazing. 

Even more so if it's surrounded by water! :)

went up to mislead last year, to find numerous car parks closed. Ended up in some boat club place that was closed. The mud was thick as Bassini too.

Brazil and South American countries in general are piss poor really 

The priority for them is the Economy and prosperity. If they can make money rearing meat to sell to the world then they will do it, it’s a vote winner and we love a good democracy 

Bit rich for the developed world to tell them they shouldn’t do it as we need the place to be our ‘lungs’ 

We need to pay them more money to protect / replant the Rainforest than we do for food so they don’t cut it down 

Edited by birch-chorley

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I'm not doubting it's bad for the bugs, monkeys and Aloe Vera plants. But these fires happen all the time all over the planet. Just because it's the Amazon every bugger is getting all set-righteous and acting concerne. It's this that's more disturbing.

And maybe it's not even happening

12 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Sweep, I was amazed when I read about this chicken plant, processing millions a day!

There is a place near me, quite hidden, the sheds/barns are painted green to blend in with the countryside. It houses around 1KK chickens..... But you would never know it was there unless you saw it. No noise, no smell, nothing. Its pretty much self sustaining, with its own small solar farm, and they can run any extra electricity needed just from the heat the birds produce

14 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I'm not doubting it's bad for the bugs, monkeys and Aloe Vera plants. But these fires happen all the time all over the planet. Just because it's the Amazon every bugger is getting all set-righteous and acting concerne. It's this that's more disturbing.

It's sentences like this that make me favour the great filter solution to the Fermi paradox :)

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Brazil and South American countries in general are piss poor really 

The priority for them is the Economy and prosperity. If they can make money rearing meat to sell to the world then they will do it, it’s a vote winner and we love a good democracy 

Bit rich for the developed world to tell them they shouldn’t do it as we need the place to be our ‘lungs’ 

We need to pay them more money to protect / replant the Rainforest than we do for food so they don’t cut it down 

Or stop buying their bloody chicken.

The developed world needs to look at environmental taxes on imported goods.

The attitude of some of these places, ie "you fucked up so we can" is ignorant and disturbing.

Surely they are presented with scientific data like we are, and are capable of accepting it as real?

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Or stop buying their bloody chicken.

The developed world needs to look at environmental taxes on imported goods.

The attitude of some of these places, ie "you fucked up so we can" is ignorant and disturbing.

Surely they are presented with scientific data like we are, and are capable of accepting it as real?

The U.K. was covered in Forrest, just because we didn’t know the impact when we cut it all down, m doesn’t abstain us from playing our part now 

The UK and other developed nations could easily turn profitable farming land back into Forrest to provide our own ‘lungs’ and take a hit financially / economically 

We can’t ask developing nations to hold off economically for everyone’s benefit 

Why don’t we just turn all our farmland back into Forrest if we are that worried about it?