Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Extinction people

globaldiver

11 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Whoa there! I suggested that last week.

They obviously don’t read this and chose Canning Town instead. Bad mistake and an excuse to post this. 

You don't need an excuse to post that video. It's great. 

There has been numerous protests outside embassies as part of the recent XR demos. Unfortunately, when some tits do this on the tube, nobody gets to hear about the positive protests. 

32 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Probably worth pointing out that none of my arguments stem from Extinction Rebellion. And I'm not on here defending their actions. Neither of the links I posted were written by folk from XR or were written for them. It is only you linking what I've posted to XR rhetoric. 

Having a 'however' in a report doesn't automatically discredit everything it says. It's an example of taking a balanced argument. Something society is lacking in heaps at the moment. Disgreeing with supporting developing nations to combat climate change is a completely seperate point to what we were discussing. If you disagree with that point then fair enough, but it doesn't make all the other information irrellevant. 

I've given you plenty of factual evidence that we're responsible for more emissions than the charts say and that we are investing far too much in fossil fuels. Apparently we're the worst in the EU for this. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/23/uk-has-biggest-fossil-fuel-subsidies-in-the-eu-finds-commission

We've been round in circles on this anyhow. Like I said, I'm sure your doing your bit for the cause. If you think we don't matter and aren't responsible then fair do's. I'll be taking the opposite view. Even if I'm wrong, the worst that happens is we end up with a healthier ecosystem and cleaner energy a few years earlier than expected. Whilst simultaneously supporting other countries do the same. 

I’m sorry but that Guardian link is complete nonsense (if I am reading it correctly) 

The subsides are down to the fact that in the U.K. we only charge 5% VAT on gas and electricity rather than the standard rate of 20%, is that a fair interpretation? 

It’s very weak if so, what would you have a government do, increase it from 5% to 20% and put huge cost pressure on household / businesses? That would t go down well with anyone 

On another note, many things are 0% or 5% VAT, Bread, Milk, Tea, books, Newspapers, children’s clothing, New Houses etc - would you call that a government subsidy? If so, then half of all household spending is subsidised, as half of what we buy goes through at 0% rate

Lets add Greggs into the mix, they charge 0% VAT, so it’s safe to say that the government is subsidising your lunch every time you go to Greggs, clearly that’s utter nonsense / spin 

Edited by birch-chorley

30 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Whoa there! I suggested that last week.

They obviously don’t read this and chose Canning Town instead. Bad mistake and an excuse to post this. 

Whoever put that together is a genius! :)

Missed your post last week where you mentioned that I think.

Can't see to many people taking issue with XR glueing themselves to the door or the US/Chinese embassy.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

There is always this fear with to foods about how they may interact with species in the wider area.

Always makes me uneasy. We've engineered new species of plants for centuries, but only by cross breeding, which I suppose is something nature does anyway, just slower. Removing bits of DNA and substituting bits from elsewhere does concern me. Especially if unscrupulous companies cut corners.

This is what will lead to the zombie up rising

10 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Probably worth pointing out that none of my arguments stem from Extinction Rebellion. And I'm not on here defending their actions. Neither of the links I posted were written by folk from XR or were written for them. It is only you linking what I've posted to XR rhetoric. 

Having a 'however' in a report doesn't automatically discredit everything it says. It's an example of taking a balanced argument. Something society is lacking in heaps at the moment. Disgreeing with supporting developing nations to combat climate change is a completely seperate point to what we were discussing. If you disagree with that point then fair enough, but it doesn't make all the other information false. 

I've given you plenty of factual evidence that we're responsible for more emissions than the charts say and that we are investing far too much in fossil fuels. Apparently we're the worst in the EU for this. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/23/uk-has-biggest-fossil-fuel-subsidies-in-the-eu-finds-commission

We've been round in circles on this anyhow. Like I said, I'm sure your doing your bit for the cause. If you think we don't matter and aren't responsible then fair do's. I'll be taking the opposite view. Even if I'm wrong, the worst that happens is we end up with a healthier ecosystem and cleaner energy a few years earlier than expected. Whilst simultaneously supporting other countries to do the same. 

Your posts show that you care as much as I do about the future and how we HAVE to change our ways to ensure future generations can enjoy the life we live now ( that’s enough of my rhetoric)

We disagree on how it can be achieved. 
I honestly believe that we, as people and our government or any other government that may evolve in the coming weeks/months, will do everything that needs to be done. I don’t have the same confidence in other countries. I also believe that ER are, as I said earlier,  just agitators.

41 minutes ago, MickyD said:

But I assume you don't see much mileage in a Chinese or Russian XR movement. I wonder why that is.

I don't get what point you're trying to make? I doubt XR would get very far in China as the internet is state controlled. And there's a good chance they'd end up in a 're-education camp'. Best chance we've got of moving them along is embarrassing a communist regime into looking like the losers in 'climate change technology race'. 

Maybe moreso in Russia where they've got more of a history of dissidence. I think they've still got free access to the internet there? Unless I'm mistaken?

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I don't get what point you're trying to make? I doubt XR would get very far in China as the internet is state controlled. And there's a good chance they'd end up in a 're-education camp'. Best chance we've got of moving them along is embarrassing a communist regime into looking like the losers in 'climate change technology race'. 

Maybe moreso in Russia where they've got more of a history of dissidence. I think they've still got free access to the internet there? Unless I'm mistaken?

Must have- they raid ours often enough.

1 hour ago, Boby Brno said:

Your posts show that you care as much as I do about the future and how we HAVE to change our ways to ensure future generations can enjoy the life we live now ( that’s enough of my rhetoric)

We disagree on how it can be achieved. 
I honestly believe that we, as people and our government or any other government that may evolve in the coming weeks/months, will do everything that needs to be done. I don’t have the same confidence in other countries. I also believe that ER are, as I said earlier,  just agitators.

Nice one. Aye, let's hope so. 

1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

I’m sorry but that Guardian link is complete nonsense (if I am reading it correctly) 

The subsides are down to the fact that in the U.K. we only charge 5% VAT on gas and electricity rather than the standard rate of 20%, is that a fair interpretation? 

It’s very weak if so, what would you have a government do, increase it from 5% to 20% and put huge cost pressure on household / businesses? That would t go down well with anyone 

On another note, many things are 0% or 5% VAT, Bread, Milk, Tea, books, Newspapers, children’s clothing, New Houses etc - would you call that a government subsidy? If so, then half of all household spending is subsidised, as half of what we buy goes through at 0% rate

Lets add Greggs into the mix, they charge 0% VAT, so it’s safe to say that the government is subsidising your lunch every time you go to Greggs, clearly that’s utter nonsense / spin 

I'm no expert on VAT. But I think when you cut the tax of a selective group of businesses by 15% from the standard rate then that particular case has to count as subsidies. I don't see that as a weak interpretation. It's putting money into the pockets of fossil fuel companies and charging renewable businesses more. Where are the incentives in that? If it was a level playing field then fair play but they've just increased the tax to 20% for the instillation of renewable energy sources, including solar powered battery systems. 

We talk about pressure on households but failing to meet our current targets (which we're behind on) will put more far more financial pressure on households than making the changes now would. 

23 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

I'm no expert on VAT. But I think when you cut the tax of a selective group of businesses by 15% from the standard rate then that particular case has to count as subsidies. I don't see that as a weak interpretation. It's putting money into the pockets of fossil fuel companies and charging renewable businesses more. Where are the incentives in that? If it was a level playing field then fair play but they've just increased the tax to 20% for the instillation of renewable energy sources, including solar powered battery systems. 

We talk about pressure on households but failing to meet our current targets (which we're behind on) will put more far more financial pressure on households than making the changes now would. 

Reduced VAT does not put any more or less money into businesses pockets. The only people who are affected by the reduced rate are householders and the treasury.

I for one would not like to increase the VAT on domestic fuel, as those most vulnerable to fuel poverty are the elderly and infirm. And I don't want to see WW lose many more members due to being unable to afford their heating bills.