Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

RIP dad

Escobarp

Lost both my mam n dad in the last 4 years, mam to cancer and dad with dementia.  Happy to say they aint got them anymore and get comfort from it, still hit me hard when they lost their battles, but the battles weren't going to be beaten unfortunately.  My mam asking my sister to breath for her was enough to help ease the pain when she passed on, awful seeing that, felt so helpless.

21 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

Lost both my mam n dad in the last 4 years, mam to cancer and dad with dementia.  Happy to say they aint got them anymore and get comfort from it, still hit me hard when they lost their battles, but the battles weren't going to be beaten unfortunately.  My mam asking my sister to breath for her was enough to help ease the pain when she passed on, awful seeing that, felt so helpless.

My mum suffers from An illness similar to dementia sadly. I’m just cherishing every moment I spend with her as I just never know when It will get worse. 

10 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

My mum suffers from An illness similar to dementia sadly. I’m just cherishing every moment I spend with her as I just never know when It will get worse. 

My dad had us in stitches, irritated the life out of us, then laughing our heads off.   I fed my dad fredericks ice cream the day before he went nil by mouth at the end, it was a great feeling paying him back for changing my nappy and feeding me as a nipper 🙂

12 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

My dad had us in stitches, irritated the life out of us, then laughing our heads off.   I fed my dad fredericks ice cream the day before he went nil by mouth at the end, it was a great feeling paying him back for changing my nappy and feeding me as a nipper 🙂

Lovely memories mate. Sadly I thought my dad was Gonna be alright so I left the hospital with the farewell of see you tomorrow dad will bring you a pie in. Few hours later I get the call he’s passed away. 
never forgive myself for not saying good bye properly but I won’t be alone in that and I think he won’t hold it against me. Not going to say “won’t see you again as you will be dead later” just wish I could’ve been there 

with my mum I just pretend she hasn’t asked the same question 25 seconds ago now. I used to tell her but it upsets her and now I just go along with it. She knows what’s wrong with her and makes a joke saying every day is a new day for her. She’s a good few years left in her yet. Probably outlive me 

6 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Lovely memories mate. Sadly I thought my dad was Gonna be alright so I left the hospital with the farewell of see you tomorrow dad will bring you a pie in. Few hours later I get the call he’s passed away. 
never forgive myself for not saying good bye properly but I won’t be alone in that and I think he won’t hold it against me. Not going to say “won’t see you again as you will be dead later” just wish I could’ve been there 

with my mum I just pretend she hasn’t asked the same question 25 seconds ago now. I used to tell her but it upsets her and now I just go along with it. She knows what’s wrong with her and makes a joke saying every day is a new day for her. She’s a good few years left in her yet. Probably outlive me 

I never ever told my mum or dad I loved them, or was there at the end, but they knew and im pretty sure your's do too by the way your speaking.  You never gave up on your dad thats all, nothing else.

Sorry for your loss @Escobarp

It will be 10 years in 2 weeks time that I lost my dad and 7 years in 2 weeks time since I lost my mum (strange both in the same week albeit 3 years apart).

Like @Smiley said the pain eases slightly but you never stop thinking of them and the thoughts of great times just bring a smile to your face.

@bolty58 sorry for your loss too mate.

I don't want anyone to apologies for speaking about losing someone close to you.

Lost my old fella two years ago on Easter Saturday.

He'd been very poorly for ages , and the consultants in 2015 said we should put him in a home, as he required carers 4 times a day.

We told the hospital to fuck off and we would mind him no matter what.

Took loads of time off work to care for him in between the carers calling, as he went from being a big tough old boy to very vulnerable and a shell of his former self.

Cost me a small fortune in lost wages,  but I'd do it all over again

When he finally went, he was fully aware of what was happening but didn't want operating on again and made the choice himself to be given meds to make him comfortable..he even asked how we'd gone on at Leeds on the Good Friday, I told him we had won 7-0.....he replied in his inimitable style "Bollocks,  I'm dying not thick" 😂😂

Held his hand until he went in the early hours of Easter Saturday morning......fucking heartbreaking, but so glad I stayed with him right to the end 😊

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

Lost my old fella two years ago on Easter Saturday.

He'd been very poorly for ages , and the consultants in 2015 said we should put him in a home, as he required carers 4 times a day.

We told the hospital to fuck off and we would mind him no matter what.

Took loads of time off work to care for him in between the carers calling, as he went from being a big tough old boy to very vulnerable and a shell of his former self.

Cost me a small fortune in lost wages,  but I'd do it all over again

When he finally went, he was fully aware of what was happening but didn't want operating on again and made the choice himself to be given meds to make him comfortable..he even asked how we'd gone on at Leeds on the Good Friday, I told him we had won 7-0.....he replied in his inimitable style "Bollocks,  I'm dying not thick" 😂😂

Held his hand until he went in the early hours of Easter Saturday morning......fucking heartbreaking, but so glad I stayed with him right to the end 😊

Amazing

❤️

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

That’s my mum just collapsed and been taken to hospital. Whatever I did to deserve this I’ve no fucking idea 

FML

Sheesh

Hopefully just an emotional reaction to what’s happened with your dad and nothing serious mate.

Fingers crossed

She’s ok (ish). They’ve no idea what’s happened to Cause it. Apparently happened yesterday at home and she never told anyone and she hurt her arm and hip. Today she was walking in bury town centre and just dropped like a stone. Has lost a coupe, of teeth and a bad gash on head and chin and badly bruised. But she’s not in any imminent danger. 

honestly I can’t take another thing going wrong. 

but it’s better than I thought. I just felt like my world was about to end 

17 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

She’s ok (ish). They’ve no idea what’s happened to Cause it. Apparently happened yesterday at home and she never told anyone and she hurt her arm and hip. Today she was walking in bury town centre and just dropped like a stone. Has lost a coupe, of teeth and a bad gash on head and chin and badly bruised. But she’s not in any imminent danger. 

That's good your poor mum is ok mate.

Her poor mind will understandably be distracted by events of late, plus be overtired by the trauma and stress of everything hence concentrating fully, my mum did the exact same and broke her wrist shortly after my dad died.

If you need to chat anytime pal, I'm going to send you my mobile number plus one of a blonde Swede with smashing knockers to take your mind off things 😊

Oh, and please let me know your lottery numbers, so I don't select them this week x

20 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Fkinel mate that’s terrible, let’s hope things pick up for both you and mother soon 👍

Lost my Mum last year and for her it was a blessed relief from the pain and indignity; she wanted to go. Drugs kept her going beyond what was natural. We maybe should question what our doctors are prescribing and why. 18 months before she died she broke her hip and the drugs just sent her doolally. Is that what we do to our most dearly beloved?

Chin up Escobarp. At least you have the Wanderers to keep your spirits up.

Edited by Mannyroader

3 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

That's good your poor mum is ok mate.

Her poor mind will understandably be distracted by events of late, plus be overtired by the trauma and stress of everything hence concentrating fully, my mum did the exact same and broke her wrist shortly after my dad died.

If you need to chat anytime pal, I'm going to send you my mobile number plus one of a blonde Swede with smashing knockers to take your mind off things 😊

Oh, and please let me know your lottery numbers, so I don't select them this week x

Thanks mate. Quite like Scandinavian birds and if it’s a brass comes with no ties sounds perfect pal 😂

im away to put the lottery on. Luck has to turn sometime. If I win I will be needing all her pals as well and a kilo of bing 

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Thanks mate. Quite like Scandinavian birds and if it’s a brass comes with no ties sounds perfect pal 😂

im away to put the lottery on. Luck has to turn sometime. If I win I will be needing all her pals as well and a kilo of bing 

No ties at all mate, just stockings, suspenders and a £500 a hour finders fee to Mr Miami 😊

Unfortunately,  we don't charge by the minute 😂

29 minutes ago, Mannyroader said:

Lost my Mum last year and for her it was a blessed relief from the pain and indignity; she wanted to go. Drugs kept her going beyond what was natural. We maybe should question what our doctors are prescribing and why. 18 months before she died she broke her hip and the drugs just sent her doolally. Is that what we do to our most dearly beloved?

Chin up Escobarp. At least you have the Wanderers to keep your spirits up.

My grandad was bed-ridden in horrendous pain from cancer of the spine in a downstairs box room that had been converted for him. Luckily the local GP in a village in rural Yorkshire was happy to send him to a better place after requests from my mum and grandmother via an increased dose of morphine. When my dad lapsed into a permanent state of sleep and feeding had been withdrawn at Bolton Royal 10 years ago my mum wistfully wished that she could do the same to him. Sounds incredibly harsh but is it a bad thing?