Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

Just now, Not in Crawley said:

Behave, you can get right angry very quickly. 

I’m really not angry. Sat here watching great British menu. I’m just asking why it’s appropriate for somebody with such a questionable track record to start to tell me what to do? 

1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

City have a huge flag covering some of the stand that says Black Lives Matters 

Appreciate we’ve talked a lot about how the PL & EFL clubs have tried to distance themselves from it but its still clear the protests are linked to the BLM movement 

The BLM does have political opinions that our system is racist, if clubs and players want to be linked to that then it’s fine, it’s their decision and everyone has a right to that opinion. However they also need to respect that many people don't believe in that opinion and they should be free to voice their objection, freedom of speech as long as you don’t take it too far (abusive etc) 

It feels like Millwall and their fans came to a compromise that allowed an anti racism message get across without anything divisive, such a compromise between a club, it’s players and fans is a good thing surely 

I don’t believe that I’m a racist, I certainly do t think that Black Lives Don’t Matter, however I fundamentally disagree with the opinions of the BLM movement. If BWFC want to support it then fine, I’d like to think it’s within my rights to voice my disapproval if so 

I'd love to go around life think we don't live in an inherently bias system. It must be bliss.

1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

Appreciate we’ve talked a lot about how the PL & EFL clubs have tried to distance themselves from it but its still clear the protests are linked to the BLM movement 

The BLM does have political opinions that our system is racist, if clubs and players want to be linked to that then it’s fine, it’s their decision and everyone has a right to that opinion. However they also need to respect that many people don't believe in that opinion and they should be free to voice their objection, freedom of speech as long as you don’t take it too far (abusive etc) 

It feels like Millwall and their fans came to a compromise that allowed an anti racism message get across without anything divisive, such a compromise between a club, it’s players and fans is a good thing surely 

I don’t believe that I’m a racist, I certainly do t think that Black Lives Don’t Matter, however I fundamentally disagree with the opinions of the BLM movement. If BWFC want to support it then fine, I’d like to think it’s within my rights to voice my disapproval if so 

Are City supporting the slogan or the movement?

1 minute ago, bolton va va said:

Mental gymnastics ??? I don't think it could be made clearer for you. Millwall supporters made it clear that they would not support their players "taking the knee" because it is a symbol of a extremist left wing group.....their players "took the knee' & the supporters booed them......next game, their players did not "take the knee" & made an anti-racist message.......& the supporters clapped them.

Christ, hobby horse next discipline? 

22 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Even if the majority think that (which I doubt), it doesn't make it true. At this point - if you truly believe that players are kneeling in favour of people toppling statues and spraying graffiti on war memorials, you're either looking for an excuse to condemn an anti-racism campaign, or you're willfully ignorant. It's as simple as that.

I don’t believe they’re kneeling for what you say, but many fans will think that they’re kneeling for BLM. Thats how lots of the media report it and players have said it. Have BWFC said their players will not kneel in support of BLM? 

The linking of arms yesterday proved to be a success surely that’s the way forward? 

11 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Great post. 👍

30 minutes ago, Dimron said:

It is indirectly racist.

I don't believe I have ever been directly racist but I have been guilty of not calling out racism when it crops up I have turned a blind eye saying that they don't really mean it, they are just joshing, its not what they really mean, football banter and so on.

Reporting them to who? If I ask them to stop then that is against the group behaviour, I once got a Des MacBain warning letter for getting into an argument with the subsequent fisticufs with a fellow supporter. 

Well it would have to be to the police or stewards, now imagine the scenes because someone like NIC assumed another fan was racist and reported him to the police. 

15 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Are City supporting the slogan or the movement?

Who knows? Do you know how everyone who sees it will take it? Will they think that City are only supporting the slogan or will they think that Coty are supporting the movement? I’m sure plenty of people watching it think Manchester City will be doing it for more than just a simple anti racism message 

Just had a nosey on the U.K. BLM web site...

ABOUT US

Black Lives Matter is an international human rights movement, that highlights and campaigns against violence and systemic racism towards black people

also found it interesting that they have flagged this about protesting, which is all that Millwall fans were doing, perhaps it’s not allowed if your protest is against the BLM movement... 

Protesting is a Human Right law and the Human Rights A 1998

Article 11 of the European Convention of Human Rights provides freedom of assembly. This means that every individual, regardless of cause has the right to protest, march or demonstrate in a public space.

Edited by birch-chorley

• Site Supporter
Just now, royal white said:

I don’t believe they’re kneeling for what you say, but many fans will think that they’re kneeling for BLM. Thats how lots of the media report it and players have said it. Have BWFC said their players will not kneel in support of BLM? 

The linking of arms yesterday proved to be a success surely that’s the way forward? 

It doesn't matter what you believe. As I said, you're obviously just looking for an excuse to dismiss an ANTI-RACIST campaign. Even if your fantasy was true, do you think football fans would start going out vandalising war memorials because a player kneeled down for 3 seconds before a match?

I doubt you'll answer, but just out of interest - what do you think they're kneeling for? 

18 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Where? And if they did, surely they didn't suggest any player who took the knee would be doing so in favour of vandalism and graffiti? (Or Marxism for the more imaginative amongst them)

The opening post on this thread was typical of a few & i think that supporters' groups contacted the clufao-the-players.45508b........

fao-the-players.45508

7 minutes ago, royal white said:

Perhaps Millwall fans could link arms singing knees up mother Brown, a good old cockney song is that. 😂

Edited by Mounts Kipper

28 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I'd love to go around life think we don't live in an inherently bias system. It must be bliss.

Still waiting for you to show me some data where White British outperform either our Indian or Chinese compatriots 

Struggling to see how the system is so biased in favour of white people when we perform so poorly in so many areas against these groups 

Edited by birch-chorley

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

The opening post on this thread was typical of a few & i think that supporters' groups contacted the clufao-the-players.45508b........

fao-the-players.45508

A racist Millwall fan announced it on an unofficial Millwall forum? HOW COULD THE FOOTBALL MEDIA BE SO IGNORANT!??!??

Edited by Cheese

2 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Who knows? Do you know how everyone who sees it will digest it? Will they think that City are only supporting the slogan or will they think that Coty are supporting the movement? I’m sure plenty of people watching it think Manchester City will be doing it for more than just a simple anti racism message 

Ta. Trouble evidently now is folk are questioning just what BLM actually means. Do clubs need to come out and explain? They're not going to do that.There's probably too much ambiguity surrounding it now, sadly.

Just now, DazBob said:

Ta. Trouble evidently now is folk are questioning just what BLM actually means. Do clubs need to come out and explain? They're not going to do that.There's probably too much ambiguity surrounding it now, sadly.

So come up with something else. That is clear from the start what it stands for. Not standing for one thing which was highly politicized and then changing it. Unfortunately the damage was done. Time to move on with something new and everyone get behind it. Apart from racists like me 

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

It doesn't matter what you believe. As I said, you're obviously just looking for an excuse to dismiss an ANTI-RACIST campaign. Even if your fantasy was true, do you think football fans would start going out vandalising war memorials because a player kneeled down for 3 seconds before a match?

I doubt you'll answer, but just out of interest - what do you think they're kneeling for? 

The link earlier in the thread was from a player saying it was for BLM, other players have also said that. Many are gormless and doing it because they’re told to, Rudy works with players and he said it’s for black people. So from this thread Alone and speaking to a league 1 player there’s not one definitive answer, if the players don’t know then I don’t and nor do you or anyone else.

Now if you asked what they’re linking arms for I reckon they would all have the same answer.

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

So come up with something else. That is clear from the start what it stands for. Not standing for one thing which was highly politicized and then changing it. Unfortunately the damage was done. Time to move on with something new and everyone get behind it. Apart from racists like me 

You OK hun?

There are many people who have no interest in football at any level and yet they know the reputation of Millwall supporters.

The first time their football ground was closed because of violence was in 1920s

those supporters will see taking the knee as a gesture of subservience and they would never agree to it , it is not in their nature.

In the same way we know that Arsenal fans will applaud it to the rafters and feel so good about themselves

Anyone that remembers those TREATMENT lunatics in the 1980s with their surgical masks on knows that they are a bunch of not rights

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

You do like a little soft victimhood don't you, sweetie?