Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

7.5 months

Biggish Dave

• Site Supporter

Any had a shittier 7.5 months than these in 2020?

im fookin glad I have no kids and have been too over weight all my life to live until im 90. What a shit time.

Im so pissed off id give anything to watch onions and his football again

Edited by Biggish Dave

2 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Hope so mate. I don’t mind admitting, I’ve really struggled mentally this year. It’s getting better slowly but I’m a way from being happy and normal again yet. Been miles tougher than I thought

If you need a chat or whatever, more than welcome Dave.

Just now, radcliffewhite1 said:

Missed the football in general but most off all the days out with the lads

once I went back to work I need my release at weekends with like minded individuals it’s bloody hard 

Likewise welcome for a beer pal.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, tomski said:

If you need a chat or whatever, more than welcome Dave.

Cheers Tom. I think (or hope) I’m coming out the other side.

To be honest, Rads has half hit the nail on the head. In 40 years I’ve never gone without football for more than close season.

You know my job, it’s a massive release and I think I really need a shout and bawl as much as anything

8 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Hope so mate. I don’t mind admitting, I’ve really struggled mentally this year. It’s getting better slowly but I’m a way from being happy and normal again yet. Been miles tougher than I thought

Same here pal. 

Absolute head fuck with us both trying to work from home with 2 kids and just kept being a bit of a twat to deal with the longer it went on. 

Getting back to normality a bit now. 

You are not the only one! 

8 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

It has been a real struggle this. Great that so many on here are happy to listen and chat about stuff though, hopefully it helps you along.

What's made it worse for me is that I also start feeling really guilty when I do get down, all I've been asked to do is stay in my home filled with modern technology, still working and getting paid and not been hit with the virus either, so I feel like I shouldn't be complaining. Yet it has been totally shit.

Even though things are coming back that I consider normality, shops, gym, pub football (ish) it still doesnt feel anywhere near better. Wont feel over until I'm planning them days out round football, travelling about, having a laugh with mates.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Same here pal. 

Absolute head fuck with us both trying to work from home with 2 kids and just kept being a bit of a twat to deal with the longer it went on. 

Getting back to normality a bit now. 

You are not the only one! 

I feel for you mate, only been myself, wife, dog and 5 cats but still tough going. We’ll get there though. Keep ploughing on, we’ve not much choice

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

It has been a real struggle this. Great that so many on here are happy to listen and chat about stuff though, hopefully it helps you along.

What's made it worse for me is that I also start feeling really guilty when I do get down, all I've been asked to do is stay in my home filled with modern technology, still working and getting paid and not been hit with the virus either, so I feel like I shouldn't be complaining. Yet it has been totally shit.

Even though things are coming back that I consider normality, shops, gym, pub football (ish) it still doesnt feel anywhere near better. Wont feel over until I'm planning them days out round football, travelling about, having a laugh with mates.

Part of what has got me down early on especially, is having to listen to the daily briefings. 
I’d react to what was said, send letter/emails out then by the time I got home, it was out of date.

The grief I got for sending out dud information which 48 hours earlier was on point was unreal.

if I was 10 years older I’d have told 25% to fuck off and find another Accountant. The good ones knew what I was trying to do.

7 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I feel for you mate, only been myself, wife, dog and 5 cats but still tough going. We’ll get there though. Keep ploughing on, we’ve not much choice

Everyone is in the same boat pal, regardless of circumstance.

1 minute ago, Biggish Dave said:

Part of what has got me down early on especially, is having to listen to the daily briefings. 
I’d react to what was said, send letter/emails out then by the time I got home, it was out of date.

The grief I got for sending out dud information which 48 hours earlier was on point was unreal.

if I was 10 years older I’d have told 25% to fuck off and find another Accountant. The good ones knew what I was trying to do.

Agreed, that's another thing that hasn't helped is the way some of the measures were announced which felt almost on a whim, taking people and businesses by surprise.

Mrs works in HR for NHS (working upstairs while I'm working downstairs, been under the same roof together every minute of every day since March, it ain't healthy) so she worked her arse off to get stuff sent out then by tea time or even as late as 10pm, back on it having to change it all.

All added up to some stressed out times here, I bet divorces shoot up in next few months! Cant face another full lockdown again anytime soon.

In 56 years on this planet this is the biggest reality check I’ve ever had

I’ve spent 34 years on the roads in sales and sales management. I’ve bitched and moaned about the state of the roads, the shit company cars I’ve had to drive, twattish drivers, the weather, and spending endless nights away in hotels or down in Head Office in the Shires

What I’d now give for a shitty Ford Cortina with no aircon, a seven hour drive south to stay in a fleapit hotel and a day in Head Office listening to Brenda moaning about the shit coffee from the coffee machine

Next week is week 22 of our sales force being off the road. 22 weeks sat in front of a fucking laptop working remotely via MS Teams. Work provided an ergonomic office chair for me but my backs gone twice in the last two weeks. Really bad spasms from my prolapsed disk

Shite as my situation is I’ve still got a job, still being paid, and well aware there’s lots of folk worse off than me so happy to lend a hand to anyone who needs it

• Site Supporter

Folk working from home- be sure to go for a walk, ideally several every day.

Not necessarily intensive exercise. And irrespective of weather, just do it.

Give yourself time away from work, enjoy the space and a quick hello to others out and about.

Mood is always lowest in the morning, so its a good time to have the first walk. 

My neighbour goes out for a good walk to break up the working day religiously, and its helping keep him relaxed and calm.

As I mentioned in the furlough thread, over 3 months off work really messed with my head. Place wasn't looking to busy earlier this year before going off and then a near on total black out of correspondence from my employer, they're not the most considerate, really started to make the fear run wild. You start to think that they'll decide they can do without the few of us that got furloughed. Not helped by the fact there seemed to be an assumption from them that this was some sort of jolly for us, like we were lucky ones. Been back in a week and feel better about it now. Nagging doubts still there but we seem to be busy enough. 

On the other side of it though, the hours my Mrs works can sometimes make it feel like we don't get much time together to get out and do stuff, even just walks and a few beers, so was great to have so much time together for us. Reckon that's what got me through it to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Certainly know how that feels, mate.
You've got my number, ring me.

Talking helps, as I found out myself when I was at a low ebb earlier in the year (pre-COVID!) and a handful of good mates rallied round and kept me going.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Folk working from home- be sure to go for a walk, ideally several every day.

Not necessarily intensive exercise. And irrespective of weather, just do it

Yep. There’s a bloke lives near me. I’d never seen him before but he walks past our house every day. Same time. Him and his Mrs. Drags one of his legs like he’s got a problem with his hip. Every single day. The odd time that I’ve been out front of the house he cheerily shouts hello and powers on

Similarly, the very old brown lady who shuffles past every day in her bright blue sari type dress with a cheery wave

This last two weeks I’ve not been able to sit down in chair for more than 30 minutes max, so whenever I’ve had the chance I’ve done the 10 minute “walk around the block” 

Very therapeutic mate. And I’m seeing more folk doing it