Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

SPOTY.

Youri McAnespie

5 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

I’d give it to Kevin Sinfield.

10000% based on his personal achievements this year but he’s no longer a sportsman so he should and probably will be given some special award 

1 minute ago, royal white said:

Young SPOTY for me. TF for the main one

I love fury. But what has he done this year that others in his sport haven’t? Surely josh Taylor should rank ahead of fury? Looking at boxing achievements alone. 

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

10000% based on his personal achievements this year but he’s no longer a sportsman so he should and probably will be given some special award 

I love fury. But what has he done this year that others in his sport haven’t? Surely josh Taylor should rank ahead of fury? Looking at boxing achievements alone. 

Fkinell Josh Taylor is a big shout. 

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Surely there is also an underlying tone that a certain person thinks certain people are racists but don’t come out and say it?

im not sure we have folk on here who are tbh. I’ve never met one that’s for sure. Met some weapons but not racists 😬

28 minutes ago, royal white said:

Fkinell Josh Taylor is a big shout. 

IF aj and fury had fought this year and AJ became undisputed world champion who, in your opinion, would probably be about 1/100000 at the bookies to win it? Tom Daly or AJ? 

and josh Taylor isn’t even up for the award. Go figure 

16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It is, but over the year others have done more.

Win another grand slam or two next season together with a couple of lower ranking tournaments, and she'll be a shoe in.

Another two ? We have waited forty odd years for a British woman to get one. 

• Members
35 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Surely there is also an underlying tone that certain people think certain people are racists but don’t come out and say it?

im not sure we have folk on here who are tbh. I’ve never met one that’s for sure. Met some weapons but not racists 😬

I don’t think we do, like every walk of life I think people can be stuck in their ways and not open minded to ever changing ways, on the flip side there’s an other extreme to that who react and are incredibly over sensitive over every fucking thing. 

Problem is people have lost the art of debating without reacting. 

Anyways Emma Radacanu gets it for me. 19 years had the courage and character to bounce back from digs and critics after Wimbledon, to go to NY and win the US open. The weight and expectation she had on her shoulders and triumphed. Wonderful young woman with an incredible sporting personality.

Just now, Rudy said:

I don’t think we do, like every walk of life I think people can be stuck in their ways and not open minded to ever changing ways, on the flip side there’s an other extreme to that who react and are incredibly over sensitive over every fucking thing. 

Problem is people have lost the art of debating without reacting. 

Anyways Emma Radacanu gets it for me. 19 years had the courage and character to bounce back from digs and critics after Wimbledon, to go to NY and win the US open. The weight and expectation she had on her shoulders and triumphed. Wonderful young woman with an incredible sporting personality.

Windeeeuk achievement by her and lovely young girl. But expectation? Really?

• Members
8 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Windeeeuk achievement by her and lovely young girl. But expectation? Really?

I think if you get to any final and play as well as she did all tournament there’s a level of expectation, and even if there wasn’t her mentality of expectation would have been heavy and she wasn’t phased. And she shut piers Morgan’s fat face up for that, she’ll do for me 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Another two ? We have waited forty odd years for a British woman to get one. 

One or two I said.

Irrespective of what's gone before, if she wants to be judged on a par with her peers, then those who have achieved more this year (and previous years) should be more worthy.

I'd have sterling above her- Rudy's list shows his success.

All that said, as it's a public vote now, she will have a great chance. 

The thing as a whole is all a bit bollocks though, particularly with such a short list.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I think if you get to any final and play as well as she did all tournament there’s a level of expectation, and even if there wasn’t her mentality of expectation would have been heavy and she wasn’t phased. And she shut piers Morgan’s fat face up for that, she’ll do for me 

She's on the sports direct advert - got to be a point off for that!

• Members
6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

She's on the sports direct advert - got to be a point off for that!

🌋

on a serious note I’d say it’s a toss up between Peaty and Radacanu. Swimmers are a different breed, serious serious weirdos. Google Peatys diet then look at his physique, it defies logic. It shouldn’t work but it does. The training and dedication  they put into training is on a par with cyclists. Freaks. 
As much as I love Fury, one fight a year boxers just don’t do it for me, I know the training is different for HW’s but if Canelo Alvarez was called Craig Atkinson from Barnsley he would have walked this. 3 fights 3 wins this year so hopefully he wins the international award. 
Sterling I think has another level that he doesn’t quite hit, Foden was better than him last season and again this season consistently.

But yeah Radacanu or Peaty for me