Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Retraining at 40 (+)

royal white

Made several enquiries during the first lockdown but it seems to be a minefield as in so many training providers charging silly amounts of money for courses

My brother started at 36. 

He was a window cleaner. Always hated it even though he was doing it for over 15 years.

Started off mortgage advisor, carried on wt Manchester met, now hes an accountant.

Does business advising now.

Its never too late and theres plenty of ops out there to make a change.

Do it.

Edited by gonzo

I diversified from my old career into something a bit different. Best thing I’ve done. 

I also know a few folk who retrained in their late 30’s and moved into trades such as plumbing and gas engineers and they’re flourishing. 

go for it mate 

I did when I was 45. Partly out of necessity but the timing was down to me. I’ve mentioned before that I was travelling around Europe business class then a few months later delivering Yellow Pages to bring some money in. I started my business in 2000 and once established, I’ve never looked back. 
If you have the drive and determination, you can achieve anything you want.

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, royal white said:

Has anyone ever decided to retrain/get a trade later on in life? 

Im getting itchy feet at the moment in my current job and contemplating getting a trade? 

Train to be a renewables installer.

Theyre as rare as rocking horse shit and demand is off the scale.

I could get you work tomorrow.

Spider is right

when I was looking renewable energy training programs are very popular and rewarding once completed

Suppose it just depends on how much time you can throw at it 

I was in construction management for 20 years then had to sell my sub-contracting company because of cash flow and by that time I was sick of it.

Used the money I came out with to train as a flying instructor but had to promise to pack it in after a couple of colleagues had accidents, I took what I had learned and set up a driving school with some success (70% pass rate). My big problem was psychological... I never believed I was someone other than what I used to be, students used to pay me for driving lessons as if I was some sort of expert driver but deep down I still saw myself as a scruffy builder. I also set up an aerial photography company but that's another story.

Outcome? I'm now a construction manager again, but for a tin-pot little company with a chip on my shoulder.

Advice? if you are going to do it, make certain you really want this, get the family fully on board and dedicate yourself 110%. You cannot let yourself look or go back even if you are having second thoughts.

Edited by Dimron

29 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

What are you thinking of Royal?

Plumber, brickie, seamstress?

I’ve got a mate who has his own firm providing gas engineers doing services repairs etc, he said if I train up as a gas engineer then he will take me on. So that’s one option 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, royal white said:

I’ve got a mate who has his own firm providing gas engineers doing services repairs etc, he said if I train up as a gas engineer then he will take me on. So that’s one option 

Good stuff.

How many years are you looking at working before retirement?

31 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Pro wind up merchant. 😂

I’ll always have that as a sideline 😂

28 minutes ago, Spider said:

Train to be a renewables installer.

Theyre as rare as rocking horse shit and demand is off the scale.

I could get you work tomorrow.

I’ve just been reading up on that, it seems that they’re in demand