Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Freddie Hill is God

bwfc2003

I did see him & he was a 'name' but too young to understand. I remember walking up Manny Road under the bridges gaving been beaten in the FA Cup by West Ham & my dad ranting about a couple of misses Freddie had made 

But a great part of our history. RIP, Freddie Hill. Rest well.

Definitely one of our best ever players , all skill no great pace which made him all the more phenomenal.Absolute fan favourite with his dribbling & passing skills.

Always shone in the big games , Liverpool in about 1965  when he mesmerised the then League champions in a League cup tie which we won 3-2

Francis Lee once said that he wasn’t fit to lace Freddie Hill’s boots (when City signed him from Halifax ) We had previously sold Freddie to Halifax as the club felt his best years had passed.

RIP Freddie one of our absolute finest.

Remember Freddie as a kid at burnden park.his close ball skills were a joy to watch.

always remember the big warbies banner on the embankment….Fred hill alias god.

seem to remember my dad saying that he would have been a world beater if he didn’t 

have an asthma problem.   Didn’t he have a pub on church gate.

R.I.P  Freddiie

One of the 3 great players I started watching as a young lad. Him, Wyn and Franny.

The banner on the Embankment that must have been as wide as the pitch (so it seemed)  ‘Freddie Hill Alias God’

Superbly made with a classic font. 

Spoke with Roy Greaves at half time and he told me how he used to clean Freddie’s boots as a young apprentice. 
(John 13: 1-17)

Greatness is so close and so far away.

RIP Fred. You’re home now.

Just remember him as the best player of a through ball ever. Made a stack of goals for Franny. Ball between the centre halfs and full backs.  

Perfect pace on the old muddy pitches. Also terrific for the wingers Doug Holden and Brian Birch.

Remember a game at Old Trafford where he totally embarassed Noel Cantwell who was marking Pilky.

He was simply the best.