Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cheese Connoisseur Corner

Rudy

'Deliciously creamy': The world of breast-milk cheese | National Post

"The Wisconsin Bang variety is “deliciously creamy,” City Funk has a “dizzying sweet finish,” and Sweet Air Equity is a “mild, hard cheese that crumbles in your mouth.” The fromage connoisseur might salivate at these tantalizing descriptions, but for those who know the key ingredient — human breast milk — these culinary accounts elicit everything from curiosity to utter disgust."

I remember trying "Peter's Stilton" back in 1990 in a tasting session with some German cheeses. The latter hit the spot, but ours was old and had not aged to perfection as it was past its prime; didn't go down well at the end of a long night, left a bitter aftertaste and subsequently proved to not mix well with alcohol. Though you could briefly get it in Bolton for a while a few years later.

2 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

I remember trying "Peter's Stilton" back in 1990 in a tasting session with some German cheeses. The latter hit the spot, but ours was old and had not aged to perfection as it was past its prime; didn't go down well at the end of a long night, left a bitter aftertaste and subsequently proved to not mix well with alcohol. Though you could briefly get it in Bolton for a while a few years later.

Genius. Totally hatstand, but genius.

• Members
5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Picked my grandma up from Chorley market , stumbled upon a lovely cheese stall there. 

Lancashire chili

wensleydale  chive

red Leicester and spiced walnuts.

Picked up some chilli and plum chutney as well

Saw a pineapple and chilli chutney before. Wish I'd picked it up now. 

Double winner, fruit and spicy cheese 👍

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I know it’s not to everyone’s taste smoked cheese. Some are really overpowering 

I loved smoked fish as well. Can’t beat an arbroath smokie 😍

https://www.lancastersmokehouse.co.uk/

If you're ever in the area.

Fascinating little place. If I remember correctly, they'll smoke stuff for you- bring your own dead creature type thing.

9 hours ago, Rudy said:

Picked my grandma up from Chorley market , stumbled upon a lovely cheese stall there. 

Lancashire chili

wensleydale  chive

red Leicester and spiced walnuts.

Picked up some chilli and plum chutney as well

Could be Carters, part of Chorley folklore. Always used to pick up a massive slab of crumbly Lancashire when I went to see my Dad in Spain. 

4 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Camembert can get in the bin  

Correct, it's the "Guinness" of the Cheese world.......nobody really likes it because it's utter shit and thoroughly rank in taste, but folk pretend it's great because in some sort of weird way they think it makes them look like some sort of aficionado

Fight Me!

• Members
3 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Correct, it's the "Guinness" of the Cheese world.......nobody really likes it because it's utter shit and thoroughly rank in taste, but folk pretend it's great because in some sort of weird way they think it makes them look like some sort of aficionado

Fight Me!

I like it. But then again I like pineapple on pizza and scutter spicy cheese. 

Edited by bolton_blondie

8 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Fight Me!

It that case I've done a seriously good job of pretending I like Guinness over the years.