Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Local weirdo

Rudy

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Zico said:

Horwich's was Alan Diddle 

Amongst other things he'd go to the pub and ask for a pint of the contents of the drip tray 

NDb9N0k.jpeg

Remember seeing him a couple of times at Horwich Carnival when I was a sprog. Everyone lobbing drinks and coins at him like he was the local freak. Sad really.

Edited by Cheese

• Members
4 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

If you're not 30-0-1 (no contest) by sixteen you are soft as shit.

Some of the lads I fought we gained a mutual respect after.

My parents' generation were fucking nails.

My niece (only 16 so don't ask, well OK a handful) gets taxis for a five minute walk.

My nephew should have.
shares in Uber eats.

I would take any children to a remote corner of Alaska and make them shoot bears.

I blame the parents.

You’re part of the GL massive 

Do you remember a guy scruffy fucker, always walking quick with a purpose had a leather hat and proper proper greasy hair. Kind of looked like this fella 

CX1nPBrdZzxU6Q0PkMBzwOkUyPVwHtbxVGYi2sr3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Cheese said:

Remember seeing him a couple of times at Horwich Carnival when I was a sprog. Everyone lobbing drinks at coins at him like he was the local freak. Sad really.

Must have been out of towners from blackrod or adlington! 

He was generally accepted in horwich as gentle, happy go lucky simpleton

• Members

Few months I decided I’ll take my daughter to show her where I grew up. I grew up in great lever until I was about 12

So drove down there, was about to get out and show her the house and saw this chap walking towards us. Jumped back in the car and never looked back

E23694AB-DCBE-4847-BF7D-2854FB546640.thumb.jpeg.346917b108653dd0b41b29d0638842e1.jpeg

Edited by Rudy

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Zico said:

Must have been out of towners from blackrod or adlington! 

He was generally accepted in horwich as gentle, happy go lucky simpleton

I don't think there was any malice in it. He probably loved it, and might even have made a few quid. I just remember feeling sorry for him.

19 minutes ago, Rudy said:

You’re part of the GL massive 

Do you remember a guy scruffy fucker, always walking quick with a purpose had a leather hat and proper proper greasy hair. Kind of looked like this fella 

CX1nPBrdZzxU6Q0PkMBzwOkUyPVwHtbxVGYi2sr3

Pop bottles in each hand?

Regarding noncery we knew from an early age - find a weapon, an empty milk bottle off a doorstep would do and attack them. Once a noncey type tried engaging with us near GL library - one lad only lived around the corner, he ran off only to return with his cricket bat.

He was only about five foot so jumped on the wall before 'clunk' on the weirdo's nonce bonce.

He was on his knees a grown man begging for mercy from a group of thirteen year olds.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I don't think there was any malice in it. He probably loved it, and might even have made a few quid. I just remember feeling sorry for him.

Yeah, there was an element of sadness in that respect but never on his part

Another thing he'd do, pre karaoke, would get up and sing 

When folk had had enough the landlord will tell him whatever pub was furthest away (sometimes as far as blackrod or adlington) was looking for a singer and he'd be off in a shot and walk to said pub 

He also used to being a sponge and bucket to the pub and clean folks cars in the car park 

And yeah, he'd walk in the parade at horwich carnival every year with a bucket but did just collect for himself thinking that's how it worked 

That pic is from one such occasion, not sure if he was dressed for the parade, or if that was his general daily attire

2 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

What ever happened to the good old days of Peeping Toms and dirty old men in flasher macs?

Didn't someone get his cock out and attack a girl on Crommy Lodges with a kukri until a dogwalker intervened? Flashing is like apprenticeship for sex cases.

Hang them, hang them, hang them.

• Members
20 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Pop bottles in each hand?

Regarding noncery we knew from an early age - find a weapon, an empty milk bottle off a doorstep would do and attack them. Once a noncey type tried engaging with us near GL library - one lad only lived around the corner, he ran off only to return with his cricket bat.

He was only about five foot so jumped on the wall before 'clunk' on the weirdo's nonce bonce.

He was on his knees a grown man begging for mercy from a group of thirteen year olds.

Yes that’s the one!

24 minutes ago, Spider said:

Oi

@Youri McAnespie @Rudy

Do you remember a GL lad called Piggy? Always wandering about on crutches..?

Yeah always around the parks or in front of lever st chippy 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Zico said:

Yeah, there was an element of sadness in that respect but never on his part

Another thing he'd do, pre karaoke, would get up and sing 

When folk had had enough the landlord will tell him whatever pub was furthest away (sometimes as far as blackrod or adlington) was looking for a singer and he'd be off in a shot and walk to said pub 

He also used to being a sponge and bucket to the pub and clean folks cars in the car park 

And yeah, he'd walk in the parade at horwich carnival every year with a bucket but did just collect for himself thinking that's how it worked 

That pic is from one such occasion, not sure if he was dressed for the parade, or if that was his general daily attire

My grandparents used to run The Saddle in the early 80's (when I was born). I've heard loads of stories about the oddballs that frequented that place.