Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tv licence

Horwich

• Site Supporter

Rupert Murdoch likes this.

I use the BBC a fair bit so find the fee pretty reasonable.

Radio6 will be shit with adverts. So will the TV.

Again, maybe I’m turning into Bolty but I quite like the unique Britishness of the BBC. And it’s quality.

No from me, but can see why folk resent having to pay.

I don't know if anyone watched her yesterday in Parliment. Dorries was fucked by everyone - including her own party. Was cringeworthy by the end.

The shambles begins at: 1.15, its really quite funny in a tragic sort of way.

Ok so the EU, BBC...what's next on the agenda to keep internal party in-fighting to a minimum?

• Site Supporter

Chap the other day pointed out how the bbc has changed over the years.

At one time, it reported facts without opinion or emotion. 

Now seems invested in chasing a scoop like all the others and probing everything to the 'nth' degree and introducing too much opinion.

Perhaps a bit of a return to its core values wouldn't go amiss, and maybe not paying over the odds for some presenters.

As for the licence fee, its not a problem and doesn't dictate its style. 

Others that barely watch or use its services may feel miffed at paying though.

• Members

I don’t mind paying it but I honestly wouldn’t mind paying for a iplayer+ kinda service as well. The quality of programming especially their dramas are Netflix worthy on a slither of their budget 

Luther, Line of duty are some of the very best. It’s the comedies they need to nail down not seen a good comedy in bb1 in a long time. 

I think it’ll come down to tiered subscriptions down the line

The World Service

Internationally recongised orchestras

Regional langague programming

BBCBitesize

Radio 6 Music

Radio 3

Radio 4

Has has been said before this government know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. Its a real surpise that a party (and some of its supporters) who claim to be the most proud of Britain are the first to start tearing down what does make this country great and what other country's are envious of.

The BBC still hold to the Reithian principles to inform, educate and entertain on relativley little money and generate income from. Of course they should be going to a 'scoop' or rather they should be able to be the first to break a news story. It's not and never has been just a repetition of certain facts. So as for 'returning to its core values' I'm not sure what that means given they are beholden to their public charter.

Netflix is a company built on billions of debt, what we get from the BBC in terms of value is unbelieable in output - across all forms.

Only in the UK is there debate about public funding for a public broadcasting service, freed from servicing boards and shareholders. There is no one calling for the re-call of Der Rundfunkbeitrag in GERMANY.

As for people being sent to prison. I know that being disingenuious is a key strategy for this goverment but from the end of last year plans are in place to scrap this nonsense. Under 5% of UK households evade the TV licence.

This is simply a BBC piece of meat for some in the tory party, and as was seen yesterday, many don't agree and before you annouce something think this - better to have a plan in place and your numbers to hand.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

I don't know if anyone watched her yesterday in Parliment. Dorries was fucked by everyone - including her own party. Was cringeworthy by the end.

The shambles begins at: 1.15, its really quite funny in a tragic sort of way.

Ok so the EU, BBC...what's next on the agenda to keep internal party in-fighting to a minimum?

It was only a few weeks ago she found out Channel 4 isn't funded by the Tax payer wasn't it? 

Edit: It was. Found the clip.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, Horwich said:

Not listening or watching any of that would make zero difference to my life

What about folk who don't have kids? Why should their tax pay for schools they'll never use?

I can take my own rubbish to the tip and not give the fuckers at Bolton town hall £1500 a year.

35 minutes ago, Spider said:

What about folk who don't have kids? Why should their tax pay for schools they'll never use?

I can take my own rubbish to the tip and not give the fuckers at Bolton town hall £1500 a year.

I've never had my house burn down, but I still have to contribute to the running of the Fire Service, it's an outrage