Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Royal Race Row

little whitt

3 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

There's some folk who believe that to even ask the question is racist.  It's a shame that it'll get asked less now because it's a reasonable ice breaker in a conversation and it gives the person a chance to chat about their heritage and roots if they choose to.

She's a daft old bat though for pursuing the line of questioning when it clearly wasn't welcome.

And we are still going off this ladies version of events. 

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Cheese said:

"Foreigners just don't integrate enough. We need to help our own before giving handouts to foreign people"

A Black woman born in Britain speaks fluent English whilst promoting her Charity that helps victims of Domestic Violence...

"WHY ARE YOU WEARING THOSE WEIRD CLOTHES? WHY IS YOUR SKIN THAT COLOUR? WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU FROM? 🤬"

That’s not what she said though.

And you’re deliberately choosing to ignore the whole picture.

I used the word golliwog earlier.

Someone could easily cut and paste that and just scream RACIST at me, and before too long it would gather enough traction that even when the actual context was revealed the damage has been done.

Again, an 80-odd year old who’s done this all her life, but possibly been having a tough day/early onset dementia/brainfart isn’t automatically a member of The Klan who should be drowned in the Thames.

No one, and I mean no one on here is defending any form of racism. What some of us are doing is providing an alternative side to an occurrence that probably deserves it.

4 minutes ago, Spider said:

Someone could easily cut and paste that and just scream RACIST at me, and before too long it would gather enough traction that even when the actual context was revealed the damage has been done.

Again, an 80-odd year old who’s done this all her life, but possibly been having a tough day/early onset dementia/brainfart isn’t automatically a member of The Klan who should be drowned in the Thames.

No one, and I mean no one on here is defending any form of racism. What some of us are doing is providing an alternative side to an occurrence that probably deserves it.

Well said

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Spider said:

A most noble endevour 👍 The people who were actually there saw it differently and the Lady resigned in disgrace, so I can only assume your instinctive position is to always give old racists the benefit of the doubt, because they're old and have been racist all their lives.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Cheese said:

A most noble endevour 👍 The people who were actually there saw it differently and the Lady resigned in disgrace, so I can only assume your instinctive position is to always give old racists the benefit of the doubt, because they're old and have been racist all their lives.

Sure 

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

As soon as the term Racist starts getting thrown about you’re guilty till proven innocent. (See the cricket farce last year).

Love how entrenched everyone gets with this. 

Reality is none of us give a fuck about the old timer or the other lady. I certainly don’t anyway as whether it’s right or wrong gets hijacked by both sides. 

@Pablonever had you down as a Moonki 

Edited by tomski

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Duck Egg said:

True.  I think though that it's fair to assume her recollection is fairly accurate and she's not lying.  

Seeing as the Lady resigned immediately, and the Royal Family have condemned what she said, I think it's safe to assume the recounting of the incident is accurate.

Edited by Cheese

13 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Seeing as the Lady resigned immediately, and the Royal Family have condemned what she said, I think it's safe to assume the recounting of the incident is accurate.

I’m guessing that the reason no further action was taken by the Royal Family to Megan’s claims of racism was because the incident was inaccurate? 

The issue is here, and people don't like it because they dismiss it, but it is about structual racism, which isn't something I want to wade into on a football forum; but I have to say reading why I'm no longer talking to white people about race by Eddo-Lodge was a real change moment for me, and if people are interested in the topic well worth £8 of your cash and a few hours of your time.

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

"Foreigners just don't integrate enough. We need to help our own before giving handouts to foreign people"

A Black woman born in Britain speaks fluent English whilst promoting her Charity that helps victims of Domestic Violence...

"WHY ARE YOU WEARING THOSE WEIRD CLOTHES? WHY IS YOUR SKIN THAT COLOUR? WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU FROM? 🤬"

Why are you now making things up??

18 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

The issue is here, and people don't like it because they dismiss it, but it is about structual racism, which isn't something I want to wade into on a football forum; but I have to say reading why I'm no longer talking to white people about race by Eddo-Lodge was a real change moment for me, and if people are interested in the topic well worth £8 of your cash and a few hours of your time.

Or keep your 8 quid and listen to a black dude on Twitter.