Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pele

Didledee

• Site Supporter

Always hard to “get” the fuss of someone you never saw play, but I don’t think there’s any real doubt that he WAS football.

Nice that he passed surrounded by family, holding his hand. That’s the way to check out. That, and being a 3 time WC winner.

RIP.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, victor meldrew said:

With football being on tv 24/7 these days , people’s knowledge of footballers is much greater than back in the day from when it began 1900’s to the 60’s . No doubt he is in the top 3 of all time players.

my all time favourite was

ian moores

It was Simon Rudge that made him look good 😁

Without doubt the GOAT not just for the >1000 goals or being the only player ever to win the WC 3 times but for what he did for football. He forged Brazil's footballing reputation, he cracked the USA turning crowds of 5k into 80k and making "soccer" their biggest participant sport, and he was an ambassador par excellence.

13 hours ago, tshape said:

That is brilliant

RIP Pele

Thinking about it. St Peter’s Way wasn’t open in 66. Their route from their hotel to Burnden would have involved a drive through Farnworth and either Swinton or Walkden. How many people back then realised that some of the greatest ever players and in particular, Pele, passed just a few yards away from them.
Doubt they went through Little Hulton so I missed that experience.