Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

18000 + Maybee

• Site Supporter

We will get a better idea of our home support after the next 2 home games, which are both cracking games Newcastle/Blackpool, I am sure there not on TV, both away teams will sell out, we should sell out our home section for these 2 games should'nt we?

not a chance, the only sellout this year will be WBA on Boxing day

• Moderators

I blame the club, you can drop prices all you like once the horse has bolted. They had full houses regularly and got complacent. They filled it again with a new generation in a couple of UEFA games so you can point fingers directly at those within the club. How did you get it so wrong?

I reckon conservatively the orange warriors have inflicted their own special brand of child abuse on a couple of kids per game, they've subsequently never come back. That's circa 500 fans lost forever for starters.

• Moderators

what happens when the kids dont make it as footballers?

i saw the other day that liverpool has the highest number of unemployed in the country and a fair few are teenagers.

possible link?

indeed

shit parenting

• Moderators

I blame the club, you can drop prices all you like once the horse has bolted. They had full houses regularly and got complacent. They filled it again with a new generation in a couple of UEFA games so you can point fingers directly at those within the club. How did you get it so wrong?

I reckon conservatively the orange warriors have inflicted their own special brand of child abuse on a couple of kids per game, they've subsequently never come back. That's circa 500 fans lost forever for starters.

I am not having it that 500, not even 50, fans turned their back on coming to the reebok because of the stewards

I used to sit ESL near the scoreboard, and yes, the stewards were always wading in, but equally some folk were always being nobheads

now I sit NSL and I can't remember the last time I saw a steward in my end other than stood at the top of the stairs, and I spent most of the game stood up

looking on down at the ESL corner from my seat, you can see that last block or so is ALWAYS stood up, can't see stewards wading in like they used or constantly going up and down telling people to sit, not saying they don't, just doesn't look like they do as much

piss poor excuse that IMO

For me it's cost, nothing else. It should be a fiver or a tenner in my opinion like going to the cinema. I know it's expensive because the players get paid a fortune but I'd still watch us if we were in the conference (or whatever it's called these days) with worse players. As it is I only go to 2 or 3 games a season, and they're the cheaper ones (cup games and v west brom types). I suspect there's a fair few others in the same boat.

• Site Supporter

For me it's cost, nothing else. It should be a fiver or a tenner in my opinion like going to the cinema. I know it's expensive because the players get paid a fortune but I'd still watch us if we were in the conference (or whatever it's called these days) with worse players. As it is I only go to 2 or 3 games a season, and they're the cheaper ones (cup games and v west brom types). I suspect there's a fair few others in the same boat.

amenities aside....

i think the cinema is a fuckin rip off at 7 or 8 quid.

but i think footy is decent value at about ?25

and iirc if you bought a season ticket before july, you could get in for ?15 a match? FIFTEEN!!!

Edited by HomerJay

when was the last time it was a fiver or a tenner week in week out to watch the wanderers?

If this was the case, then why are ALL clubs not struggling!?!

when was the last time it was a fiver or a tenner week in week out to watch the wanderers?

A long time and I could get in as a kid. Still, most tickets are around the ?25 mark, by the time I've added in getting there (another fiver) and a couple of pints it's getting on for ?40 which I simply cannot afford every week. It becomes a treat a few times a year rather than a regular thing. If it were significantly cheaper I'd be there no doubt about it and because I'll always be a fan that's irrespective of what division it's in. I find it hard to believe that there are not others who would go to more games if it were cheaper thus having the potential to increase attendances (the original question).

We lost a generation of fans to the big clubs by being shite for a while. It's too late to get them back now because their decision has already been made.

totally agree micky, you normally see them walking round town in there dindippers or munich shirts on a sat aft, i personally find it sickening

I think it's the culture of the town. Bolton's largely apathetic. As lovely as it might sound, finding a die hard Wanderers fan in Bolton is the exception rather than the norm. You can use the British and religion as an analogy. Pressed hard enough, a lot of people might grudgingly confess to be C of E (or some other denomination), but that doesn't mean they'd even consider going to Church on a Sunday.

Same thing applies in Bolton with football. Ask a great many which football team they follow, and they'll say Bolton. But getting them into the tradition/habit of actually going to games is a different matter altogether.

• Moderators

I think it's the culture of the town. Bolton's largely apathetic. As lovely as it might sound, finding a die hard Wanderers fan in Bolton is the exception rather than the norm. You can use the British and religion as an analogy. Pressed hard enough, a lot of people might grudgingly confess to be C of E (or some other denomination), but that doesn't mean they'd even consider going to Church on a Sunday.

never thought bout it like that

I shall pass this off as my own analogy sometime in the future, cheers

A long time and I could get in as a kid. Still, most tickets are around the ?25 mark, by the time I've added in getting there (another fiver) and a couple of pints it's getting on for ?40 which I simply cannot afford every week. It becomes a treat a few times a year rather than a regular thing. If it were significantly cheaper I'd be there no doubt about it and because I'll always be a fan that's irrespective of what division it's in. I find it hard to believe that there are not others who would go to more games if it were cheaper thus having the potential to increase attendances (the original question).

If you don't go to the match do you still have a couple of pints? If the answer is yes then you can't factor this in as a cost of going to the match and your cost of ?40 will be reduced.

Same thing applies in Bolton with football. Ask a great many which football team they follow, and they'll say Bolton. But getting them into the tradition/habit of actually going to games is a different matter altogether.

I disagree. Asking people in Bolton who they follow, you'll get an whole host of other teams, local or otherwise whom they support. Thinking about people I know from Bolton, I'd say it's at least 3:1, perhaps higher. Unfortunately most of them 3 are United 'fans' with some obscure link to the City.

I don't understand why people get so hung up on it.

I must admit, I do wonder why people are so bothered about how many we do or don't get. If you go and you enjoy it, why do you care - if you go and don't enjoy it due to lack of crowds, thensimply stop going, because we're never going to get 25K per week on a consistant basis

I must admit, I do wonder why people are so bothered about how many we do or don't get. If you go and you enjoy it, why do you care - if you go and don't enjoy it due to lack of crowds, thensimply stop going, because we're never going to get 25K per week on a consistant basis

I enjoy seeing the whites at the Bok with 20,000 on but enjoy it better when the place is full because the atmosphere goes up a gear or two. At Burnden in the 70's / 80's many more people walked to the ground and all tickets games were rare. Agreed; gates over the mid 20,000's were most unusual, but I'll never forget the feeling on the day of Jan 6th 1974 the first ever Sunday game against Stoke, walking under the Weston Street railway bridge towards Manchester Road and just sensing that there were more people about than I was used to, then turning onto Manchester Road and being awestruck by the solid masses descending on the ground. It didn't feel like BWFC was a small club that day when I was 14 in a crowd of 39,000 and I've never thought of Bolton as a small club since.

The main reason in my opinion why dont see many gates above 20 - 22k is a lack of success in cup competition. The town has always responded to cup success and even at the Reebok a little bit of success in cup competition has generated massive excitement - witness the queues for league cup final tickets and the superb away followings on the European tours (more Bolton fans at Marseille and Athletico than Liverpool could muster). Also our record of winning games in the prem' at home is insufficient to pull in the floaters. But for those who think its difficult to get to the ground I advise a few beers in town before the match, then jump on a train at around twenty to kick off (only ?2.60 return) - in Scotts for one or two straight after the game before your ten minute train ride back into town.

Am I the only one on here that thinks an FA cup quarter final at the Reebok against any premiership opposition would be a lock out?

...even at the Reebok a little bit of success in cup competition has generated massive excitement

Am I the only one on here that thinks an FA cup quarter final at the Reebok against any premiership opposition would be a lock out?

You make some good points but patting you on the back for them wouldn't be the WW way, would it?

Instead, I'll just say that the attendance for the League Cup semi final against Villa was, quite frankly, embarrassing.

And that we didn't come close to filling the Reebok for its last FA Cup quarter final, against Arsenal in 2005.

You make some good points but patting you on the back for them wouldn't be the WW way, would it?

Instead, I'll just say that the attendance for the League Cup semi final against Villa was, quite frankly, embarrassing.

And that we didn't come close to filling the Reebok for its last FA Cup quarter final, against Arsenal in 2005.

Funnily enough I was at both of those, so stand corrected on that line of thought. I particularly remember being on the south stand lower in OUR section with a Villa fan who came as the guest of a white who lives in brum - oh the joy of it all! Recently we dont seem to generate sufficient demand to need any of the south lower for home fans - never the less I remain optimistic; The full force of financial disaster may yet be visited on MUFC, I will see another European tour, I will stand in another full house at the Reebok, Another centre forward will emerge from somewhere in the tradition of Lofthouse, Byrom and McGinley - now there's a thought could it be this thats needed to fill the place?

If we had a home Quarter Final, which wasn't televised, and we were on a good run of form in the League, then we may get close to filling the stadium especially if the tickets were reduced to ?15 or less.

There's an awful lot of "ifs" in there.

Perhaps the fact of the matter is that in the main, the majority of people who live in Bolton don't actually give a shit about the club.

Even if tickets were ?10 for every home game, we still wouldn't get many more than we do now, and folk would be saying "It should be a fiver"

There are plenty of fans out there who came on the majority of games 4/5 seasons ago but they seem to have disapeared from the bok, i have seen a few here and there and they just didnt enjoy going the reebok anymore. Hopefully a good season or 2, sensible ST prices and better economic times may bring a few back.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.