Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Playing The Number 10 Role

• Moderators

What the frig is this?! Heard it mentioned a lot recently. I blame Robbie Savage.

It's a man up front on his own, that offers little goal threat in the traditional striker role but holds the ball up (think SKD). However, it needs to be played with 2 pacey wingers and the false no.9 also drops into midfield to get possession. Or something.

Im suprised at how little these ex-pro's seem to understand about positions and defending, covering etc.

Im starting to think that rather than ex-pro's getting jobs as commentators / pundits, with no qualifications other than they 'used to get paid to be told were to kick a ball', we get footy geeks / analytical people in that role.

Sick of the amount of times Danny Muphy was calling Hazard to track back.....typical British mentality.

Edited by Pablo

I've perfected the technique of watching by turning the sound down so that the commentary is inaudible but the crowd roar can be heard, switching the radio on at a loud volume with either tennis commentary or music on.

When the action stops after a half I go onto the internet until play resumes.

I don't worry about the number 10 role, or the use of a false 9, and continue to regard all formations as variants of 2-3-5, whether it's the Revie plan or whatever.

It works for me.

Im suprised at how little these ex-pro's seem to understand about positions and defending, covering etc.

Im starting to think that rather than ex-pro's getting jobs as commentators / pundits, with no qualifications other than they 'used to get paid to be told were to kick a ball', we get footy geeks / analytical people in that role.

Sick of the amount of times Danny Muphy was calling Hazard to track back.....typical British mentality.

Agree with that, the best comments always come from professional sports journalists who have a brain between their ears.

It's a man up front on his own, that offers little goal threat in the traditional striker role but holds the ball up (think SKD). However, it needs to be played with 2 pacey wingers and the false no.9 also drops into midfield to get possession. Or something.

I'd say SKD is a more traditional number 9.

A false 9 is basically an extra midfielder playing as the furthest forward, pretty useless unless the team play possession football and work the ball up to them.

All bollock though IMO, it will disappear soon enough with the Makelele role and hopefully "quarterback"

• Moderators

The Makelele role doesn't seem to have a place these days.

Lahm converted to that role for both Bayern and Germany so it's not dead yet

mind you, it's was Guadiola's idea and whether it actually works or not for him is up for debate

Lahm converted to that role for both Bayern and Germany so it's not dead yet

mind you, it's was Guadiola's idea and whether it actually works or not for him is up for debate

Thats a different role.

The deep playmaker & defensive midfielder are 2 different roles.

Lahm is playing more the playmaker, like Pirlo / Xavi.

• Moderators

Thats a different role.

The deep playmaker & defensive midfielder are 2 different roles.

Lahm is playing more the playmaker, like Pirlo / Xavi.

that all sounds a bit diddledum to me

way too overcomplicated

• Moderators

That's part of the problem, people on here think football is an easy game, to paraphrase some simpleton. It is, if you are world class maybe. We (England) just pick our best players. We haven't got a fucking clue how to deal with a player like Pirlo, Costa Rica just man marked him, we stood there and watched him play, Gerrard should have paid for a match ticket.

English football is so far out of date, we may as well wear long shorts and woolen tops.

That's part of the problem, people on here think football is an easy game, to paraphrase some simpleton. It is, if you are world class maybe. We (England) just pick our best players. We haven't got a fucking clue how to deal with a player like Pirlo, Costa Rica just man marked him, we stood there and watched him play, Gerrard should have paid for a match ticket.

English football is so far out of date, we may as well wear long shorts and woolen tops.

Spot on.

If you take a look on Spanish / Italian football forums, this is also the belief.

Edited by Pablo

that all sounds a bit diddledum to me

way too overcomplicated

Untill people see the difference in these and similar, then how can we expect anyone to really be able to point at issues with the England national team.

I keep banging this drum, but at this World Cup, we played 2 box to box midfielders, (one that built his whole career on scoring goals by hitting a ball as hard as he could, and driving forward with the ball), and deployed them as defensive midfielders.

Even then, who was the playmaker, who was the sitter ??? !! Do they know ?? Did Roy know ?? Playing with pretty much 4 strikers (forwards) would suggest that they SHOULD have been playing a more defensive role. Yet Suarez winner come after Gerrard made a 50 yard pass to his cetral midfield partner       !!!

Edited by Pablo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.