Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Walking Football

bolty58

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Cheers for the serious response Pablo.

Social prescribing now going on.

Amongst other activities, football/walking football being used. Not just for better fitness/weight loss but also mental health.

Quite funny seeing little clips of overweight blokes trying not to run.

Good idea for me, I would assume it becomes a bit more technical as you can't just drop a shoulder and sprint away from an opponent.

5 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Social prescribing now going on.

Amongst other activities, football/walking football being used. Not just for better fitness/weight loss but also mental health.

Quite funny seeing little clips of overweight blokes trying not to run.

Good idea for me, I would assume it becomes a bit more technical as you can't just drop a shoulder and sprint away from an opponent.

I think the social side is what it’s all about definitely helps with mental health and keeping active even if walking going to help fitness, think Biff lost a stone or 2 since taking it up. When I get more time would love to try it out. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I think the social side is what it’s all about definitely helps with mental health and keeping active even if walking going to help fitness, think Biff lost a stone or 2 since taking it up. When I get more time would love to try it out. 

Might consider it myself. Bit of a warning the other week; I had a chest x-ray to check a chest infection- but came back showing the appearance of "fat pad" around the heart. GP said nowt serious, but need to shift some weight.

• Members
6 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

You’ll be saying you don’t like trifle next, you little tinker.

Don't be silly now. When we attack down here, what do you think the warheads of the first volley out of our trebuchet are?

Closely followed by a head on charge with our St. Georges flag beach towels proudly flying like Rome's SPQR banners.

Know suspender.

Edited by bolty58

• Members

To those considering giving it a try I would encourage you. Social/laugh/camaraderie - all those things but don't think it's a doddle. Pissed wet through with sweat after my first ever game of it and even now after multiple games it is still a workout. When you love the game like we all do, you don't really realise that you are exercising once you get absorbed in it.

Before the 'well a fat unfit cunt would sweat his bollocks of' jibes come out, I'll have you know that I power walk for an hour each day and am reasonably fit.

4 hours ago, mickbrown said:

If you can’t run and launch yourself into a massive last ditch sliding tackle it ain’t football. 

Those were the days! - sadly it would mean a yellow/red card these days.

I Would consider doing walking football, i played in the Over 35's (full pelt) league for 10 years and loved it.

You know you''re getting old when you have to retire from vets football

12 hours ago, bolty58 said:

To those considering giving it a try I would encourage you. Social/laugh/camaraderie - all those things but don't think it's a doddle. Pissed wet through with sweat after my first ever game of it and even now after multiple games it is still a workout. When you love the game like we all do, you don't really realise that you are exercising once you get absorbed in it.

Before the 'well a fat unfit cunt would sweat his bollocks of' jibes come out, I'll have you know that I power walk for an hour each day and am reasonably fit.

Where you playing outside in Perth in 35 degrees P ?  :D

Maybe playing outside at Leverhulme Park in Feb would help with the sweat problem. 

5 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

I need to get back into playing; not 40 yet, but a beer gut and glass back stops me from doing anything too fast for too long- is it acceptable for us types to join?

You could lie about your age.