Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

SNP - What fun!

Zulu

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, globaldiver said:

Of course; why?

People make mistakes, have bad luck, or simply aren’t born with the mental ability to achieve anything beyond the bare minimum.

In many cases, that’s where charities will step in and help.

It doesn’t mean they haven’t taken responsibility for their lives and actions, it just means they’ve had some rotten luck.

Many of us forget that whilst we may have worked hard and achieved a comfy life, others just didn’t manage it despite trying their best.

To me, that’s where an advanced society elects a government with scruples and accepts that we chip in to give these folk half a chance. We don’t just pull the ladder up, laugh and say “fuck you, I’m alright though”

Its why food banks are our biggest shame.

Edited by Spider

10 hours ago, globaldiver said:

I disagree, why should Scots outside of Scotland not have a vote, whilst temporary folks did?

In a divorce, why wouldn’t all of the spouses have a vote? 

I live in Scotland, why should folk that no longer live or have never lived in Scotland have any right to decide the outcomes for those that have made Scotland their home ! I am already taxed significantly more than if I still lived in Bolton, and I live in hope that the SNP will one day be out on its arse. Although I sympathise with the thought of no Westminster control, the fact is, there are not enough tax payers to sustain the public services, so taxes would have to increase even further if Independence ever happened . At this point, many economically active folk, me included, will bolt South of the border and the situation with the public spending deficit will increase yet further. Scotland should have gone independent in the 70s when the oil boom started, would have a significant oil fund now, similar to Norway if they had. 

25 minutes ago, Spider said:

People make mistakes, have bad luck, or simply aren’t born with the mental ability to achieve anything beyond the bare minimum.

It doesn’t mean they haven’t taken responsibility for their lives and actions, it just means they’ve had some rotten luck.

Many of us forget that whilst we may have worked hard and achieved a comfy life, others just didn’t manage it despite trying their best.

To me, that’s where an advanced society elects a government with scruples and accepts that we chip in to give these folk half a chance. We don’t just pull the ladder up, laugh and say “fuck you, I’m alright though”

Quite; which is why I donate and why I agree with taxation generally.

22 minutes ago, Campos_Wig said:

I live in Scotland, why should folk that no longer live or have never lived in Scotland have any right to decide the outcomes for those that have made Scotland their home ! I am already taxed significantly more than if I still lived in Bolton, and I live in hope that the SNP will one day be out on its arse. Although I sympathise with the thought of no Westminster control, the fact is, there are not enough tax payers to sustain the public services, so taxes would have to increase even further if Independence ever happened . At this point, many economically active folk, me included, will bolt South of the border and the situation with the public spending deficit will increase yet further. Scotland should have gone independent in the 70s when the oil boom started, would have a significant oil fund now, similar to Norway if they had. 

Great points

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, bolty58 said:

It should be though. As the majority of the UK population is in England and makes far and away the largest contribution to propping up lame duck tourism and whisky distilling lame ducks, the English should get a say.

Might be a landslide vote for Scottish independence once the millstone around our neck for over 300 years has been highlighted?

If it’s a millstone we want rid of, let’s start with that fucking sectarian disaster zone over the water.

Unite Ireland, keep the Scot’s and the Welsh then we can have a proper Brexit and English lads who think it all still matters can go and watch scotch football in Belfast and stop boring us to fucking death with it.

So many problems solved in one go.

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, Spider said:

If it’s a millstone we want rid of, let’s start with that fucking sectarian disaster zone over the water.

Unite Ireland, keep the Scot’s and the Welsh then we can have a proper Brexit and English lads who think it all still matters can go and watch scotch football in Belfast and stop boring us to fucking death with it.

Quite.

Although we all know Brexit, proper or otherwise (whatever that means) isn't going to work out in an ever conflicted world.  I suspect we will end up closer to the EU than further away in future, some kind of Norway type deal probably.

It would be lunacy for Scotland to leave the UK, even simply for economic reasons.

2 hours ago, Spider said:

No no no.

Anyone who hasn't achieved financial security is a lazy dosser. 

All you need is hard graft. That's it, just hard graft. The rest - circumstance, background, opportunity that's just excuses. 

Graft. I'll say it again. Graft.

People underestimate the natural resources that Scotland has. They generate 85% of hydroelectric power in the UK and have some of the largest offshore wind farms. The Scottish government have dropped a massive clanger though by underselling the leasing rights to foreign investors for their wind farms that has cost them billions.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

People underestimate the natural resources that Scotland has. They generate 85% of hydroelectric power in the UK and have some of the largest offshore wind farms. The Scottish government have dropped a massive clanger though by underselling the leasing rights to foreign investors for their wind farms that has cost them billions.

No

youre wrong

Bolty says you can’t prop up an entire economy by selling ginger wigs and bottles of Buckfast. And he’s right.

• Members
3 hours ago, Spider said:

To quote the late Iain Paisley, "Never! Never! Never!" There's 57 million or so in England contributing the vast majority of funding for everything UK wide. The leeches are going nowhere. We all know it.

Those who suggest that the English should have a say/vote on if Scotchland should leave the union are presumably taking the piss. UK didn't ask the rest of the EU to vote on if we should leave or not, otherwise, I'm sure we'd have been kept in

Let them have their vote, they ca have it every year for all I care, they won't leave, they know they just can't afford to. If they did decide to leave, then so be it, off you pop.........but look how dififcult it's proving for the UK to extract itself from the EU, it'd be far, far tougher trying to extract Scotchland from the UK I'd have thought.

@Spider does make a good point about the football nonsense, there is something very odd, and let's be honest, it's purely attention seeking, about English people, pretending to "support" one of the two large Scotch football teams....especially as he right points out, these self same people would be the first to jump up and declare that there is no room for politics or religion in football. I've seen people with BWFC/Rangers and BWFC/Celtic flags.....proper mentalist behaviour that

• Members
9 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Those who suggest that the English should have a say/vote on if Scotchland should leave the union are presumably taking the piss. UK didn't ask the rest of the EU to vote on if we should leave or not, otherwise, I'm sure we'd have been kept in

Let them have their vote, they ca have it every year for all I care, they won't leave, they know they just can't afford to. If they did decide to leave, then so be it, off you pop.........but look how dififcult it's proving for the UK to extract itself from the EU, it'd be far, far tougher trying to extract Scotchland from the UK I'd have thought.

@Spider does make a good point about the football nonsense, there is something very odd, and let's be honest, it's purely attention seeking, about English people, pretending to "support" one of the two large Scotch football teams....especially as he right points out, these self same people would be the first to jump up and declare that there is no room for politics or religion in football. I've seen people with BWFC/Rangers and BWFC/Celtic flags.....proper mentalist behaviour that

The same sort of people who go to Gibraltar for a piss-up or who say they'd love to go to the Malvinas.