Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First night club

gonzo

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

😃 "From 6pm all the way through to 9pm".  I got banned from there! 

I think everyone did in the end. Remember speaking to the bouncer about 10 years later and he said it was worse that the adult one, which is saying something. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Nowack said:

I think everyone did in the end. Remember speaking to the bouncer about 10 years later and he said it was worse that the adult one, which is saying something. 

I can concur. I worked on the door at Rockerfellas from around December 84 to May 86 and I’ll be dead honest, apart from every slapper in Bolton wanting to cop off with a doorman, it was fucking shit. Kiddies Rockerfellas was worse though. I once kicked a 15 or 16 year old lad out for spitting chewing gum at the DJ. Once at the top of the stairs he told me to get his girlfriend. I told him to ask nicely but he said if I didn’t he’d put a brick through the glass door.

I pointed out they were bulletproof glass so he’ll need to get a decent size brick. In fact, they’d just started work on Debenhams so there’ll be plenty there on the building site. Off he went and five minutes later, back he came with half a house brick.  I quickly opened the door and told him it wasn’t big enough.

Well, you know that “Tsch!” sound breaking glass makes? I heard it and thought, “fucking lying bastards! I was told it was bulletproof! All I can say is, it’s a good job some nutter didn’t turn up with a gun because I’d have goaded him to shoot, knowing I was protected by the bulletproofness of the windows. I might have ended up DEAD.

Anyway, the story doesn’t end there. I chased the lad down towards the Co-op (Where Argos was) and he turned round, threateningly. Without breaking step I jumped and got him square in the chest with my size 10s. Unfortunately, as I did, a police patrol came around the corner just in time to see me drag this kid to his feet. I was threatened with arrest for hitting a minor. I asked the cop to come back to the door to decide whether or not my actions were warranted. It turned out they were. 

On another occasion, I’d taken a delivery of 5 or 6,000 Embassy Regal cigs all in vending packs (17 in a pack) and told the manager who told me to put them outside the stockroom door and he’d go down and put them away…

Well, he forgot! The kids had got to them and pretty soon every kid in the building was walking around with Embassy cigs in their pockets. 

I fucking hated kids Rockerfellas!

Blighty's.  Think I saw Edison Lighthouse in there.🙄  Closed down by the police in the 90's I think for drug dealing.

Went to a few works parties at Aquarius.  Remember Bantry's now its been mentioned but never went in, it was near the Cambrian pop site on Derby Street I think.

1 hour ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Blighty's.  Think I saw Edison Lighthouse in there.🙄  Closed down by the police in the 90's I think for drug dealing

yeah, after it became the Pleasuredome as featured on Hitman & Her.

On 11/04/2023 at 10:53, lobbypond said:

Toffs in Leigh. It was the only place we could get in at that age.

Talk about grim 🤣

I just about missed the boat on that one. Barbarella’s - weirdly a regular haunt for Kevin Nolan, Henrik Pedersen and Nicky Hunt - was a bit of an eye opener either side of the smoking ban. 

Dragged up in Radcliffe, worked at Boro Social club late 70's from around age 15/16 waiting on the tables on Saturday cabaret nights, when it was packed Drinking in there every other night. Saturdays the staff started going to 'Touch of Class' in Little lever. Again allowed in knowingly under age as long as I collected glasses and therefore employed. Made lifelong friends with the DJ probably because I played the erection section records for him whilst he went seeing who he could cop off with. He started working at Nibblers and I followed him there. Started acting as a roadie for the DJ, worked at Romeo & Juliet's and Peppermint Place, and a couple of places Stockport way. ended up moving to Horwich as mother wanted to 'return home', so ended up back down the pit, working behind the 'wine bar' (turn left at the bottom of the stairs)