Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Glastonbury 2023

Zico

7 minutes ago, Zico said:

Just spotted sugababes, I'd watch them, guilty pleasure back in the day 

These days I don't feel such guilt anymore

Never feel guilty about music you like.

Unless it's the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and then kill yourself.

Or Dodgy - but in that case just take a long hard look at yourself 😄

21 minutes ago, Zico said:

Just spotted sugababes, I'd watch them, guilty pleasure back in the day 

These days I don't feel such guilt anymore

If its good enough for you, it's good enough for me.

2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I think given this thread he's hit the nail right on the head.

It's pop music and every stage covers so many different types for all sorts.

It should be for the young as well and even if you don't like Dua Lipa (which I actually do) she's still one of the biggest artists.

Just not into older folk trying to be curators of what's popular or good.

It's about being underground and a bit edgy. Not the Radio 1 Big Weekender. 

It's a bit like the football. It's all become middle class and sanitised. And the people who used to make it what it was are being edged out and marginalised. 

Traditionally parents have been looking at their kids generation and worrying that they've got too rebellious. It's the polar opposite now. I'm looking at them and wishing they had something interesting to say - or could offend me in some way. Or make me think. As opposed to just being insipid. 

It's depressing.

And it's also depressing that Glastonbury has sold itself out. I loved that place once upon a time. 

Anyway - I've said my piece. It's basically a pop party nowadays in my opinion. 

I can’t play proper football anymore because it’d probably fuck my knee. 

Similarly, my festival days are over. My tolerance for tents, mud and chemical bogs went the same way as youthful knees. 

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

It's about being underground and a bit edgy. Not the Radio 1 Big Weekender. 

It's a bit like the football. It's all become middle class and sanitised. And the people who used to make it what it was are being edged out and marginalised. 

Traditionally parents have been looking at their kids generation and worrying that they've got too rebellious. It's the polar opposite now. I'm looking at them and wishing they had something interesting to say - or could offend me in some way. Or make me think. As opposed to just being insipid. 

It's depressing.

And it's also depressing that Glastonbury has sold itself out. I loved that place once upon a time. 

Anyway - I've said my piece. It's basically a pop party nowadays in my opinion. 

Since when was Glastonbury about being edgy? 😄

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

It's original premise was an arts festival- which over all its stages and fields it still remains.

Sorry but the bellyaching by middle aged folk smacks of I've not really kept up with pop music and things were better in my day nonsense.

Standing on a “ley line” half a mile from Glastonbury Tor,  surrounded by 200,000 chinless cunts from the Cotswolds, breathing in the stench of a million turds and telling your disinterested friends back home that it was a “spiritual experience” is even worse than watching the fucking Killers and paying £29 for half a pint of Carling rebadged as craft lager.

I still love PJ Harvey but trust me when I tell you that cranking up the volume on my Bose speakers whilst watching from the comfort of my living room is infinitely better.

And it means I won’t buy an ecstasy tablet that is just a gram of compressed Acdo off a lad from Croydon.

12 minutes ago, Spider said:

Standing on a “ley line” half a mile from Glastonbury Tor,  surrounded by 200,000 chinless cunts from the Cotswolds, breathing in the stench of a million turds and telling your disinterested friends back home that it was a “spiritual experience” is even worse than watching the fucking Killers and paying £29 for half a pint of Carling rebadged as craft lager.

I still love PJ Harvey but trust me when I tell you that cranking up the volume on my Bose speakers whilst watching from the comfort of my living room is infinitely better.

And it means I won’t buy an ecstasy tablet that is just a gram of compressed Acdo off a lad from Croydon.

I wouldn't go to Glastonbury either- but moaning because Due Lipa who is a genius pop star is headlining seems a bit shouting at the clouds.

56 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Since when was Glastonbury about being edgy? 😄

It certainly used to be with a couple of thousand crusties climbing over the fences and the travellers breaking in.

IDK - always seemed to have a subversive edge to me. Now it feels like Henman Hill.

26 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I wouldn't go to Glastonbury either- but moaning because Due Lipa who is a genius pop star is headlining seems a bit shouting at the clouds.

I genuinely wouldn't go watching Dua Lipa if she was playing at the Reebok and it was free. I think you've been hanging round girls for too long! 😉

Just now, kent_white said:

It certainly used to be with a couple of thousand crusties climbing over the fences and the travellers breaking in.

IDK - always seemed to have a subversive edge to me. Now it feels like Henman Hill.

You know my cousin, went for years jumping over the fence and selling drugs to southern students.

But to say that you don't like the headliners because they aren't subversive seems a bit off - we went for three years together and it didn't seem super subversive to me. The Bootleg Beatles played one Sunday morning. If you attended from when it became a normative music festival then its just moaning because you don't like some of the music anymore. And thats not about being old, it's just being naive sbout what you thought the values were.

5 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I genuinely wouldn't go watching Dua Lipa if she was playing at the Reebok and it was free. I think you've been hanging round girls for too long! 😉

Then you are missing out

My kids hate Dua Lipa - it's all Larna, The Smiths and Cigarettes after Sex round here (they think they are the first to discover all of them - although they have finally got into New Order)

Buy I think she's a great modern pop star whose songs are decent.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

You know my cousin, went for years jumping over the fence and selling drugs to southern students.

But to say that you don't like the headliners because they aren't subversive seems a bit off - we went for three years together and it didn't seem super subversive to me. The Bootleg Beatles played one Sunday morning. If you attended from when it became a normative music festival then its just moaning because you don't like some of the music anymore. And thats not about being old, it's just being naive sbout what you thought the values were.

It's not that the headliners aren't subversive. It's that the festival has lost it's subversive feel (for me). The headliners are the most vanilla, Now That's What I Call Music vol 3682, Smashy and Nicey, inoffensive drivel I could possibly think of. But that seems to be the target audience of the festival these days. I think we see this one very differently mate. I doubt we're going to agree.

Maybe a conversation for the pub next time you're up! 😁

11 minutes ago, kent_white said:

It's not that the headliners aren't subversive. It's that the festival has lost it's subversive feel (for me). The headliners are the most vanilla, Now That's What I Call Music vol 3682, Smashy and Nicey, inoffensive drivel I could possibly think of. But that seems to be the target audience of the festival these days. I think we see this one very differently mate. I doubt we're going to agree.

Maybe a conversation for the pub next time you're up! 😁

Yeah - although first time we went the headliners were Pulp, Oasis and The Cure - hardly cutting edge evenin 95 and in 96 the best band I saw wa the lighting seeds -  but mainly it was so cold, wet and grim we spent the weekend getting stoned in our tent 😁

Well it is what it is, if Debbie & chrissy want to go along and wear a cheesecloth top with a black bra and put a little battery powered light up head band on and sing along to the words they don't know of an artist they have never heard of ang cling onto a warm flat plastic cup of lambrini for 6 hours whilst trying not to piss in their always ultra, then its their choice.

I enjoy listening to old shite like Slade whilst sipping cold beer and eating crisps on my patio and wearing shorts with my flab hanging out, but that's my choice. 

• Moderators

Just remembered Shania Twain was once rumoured to be buying the club as part of a consortium headed up by Stelios 

Its possible I dreamt this