Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tommy Banks' birthday tomorrow

MickyD

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, MickyD said:

My mum used to tell me that Stanley Matthews would report himself as injured if Tommy Banks and Roy Hartle were both playing 

I heard (more than once) that Tommy and Roy used to shit Mathews up.

" When tha's done wi' 'im Roy, punce 'im oer 'ere", but I can't vouch for its authenticity.

• Members
4 hours ago, FrancisFogarty said:

" When tha's done wi' 'im Roy, punce 'im oer 'ere", but I can't vouch for its authenticity.

I've heard to same mate, many times. Brilliant full backs them two. Wouldn't be on the pitch for 5 minutes these days!

On 11/11/2023 at 22:57, FrancisFogarty said:

T'was the gravel rash falling of the Burnden pitch that did it. 

Actually they were both excellent tacklers and Roy could land a ball on a sixpence from 50 yards.

So I don't think they were just choppers. And knew what they could get away with.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, passmosster said:

Actually they were both excellent tacklers and Roy could land a ball on a sixpence from 50 yards.

So I don't think they were just choppers. And knew what they could get away with.

Which is the square root of fuck all these days!

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, passmosster said:

That banking round Burnden was like an extra man in those days. You didn't want to be sliding down there with Tommy or Roy bearing down on you. You'd be picking gravel out of everywhere for days.

VAR and shit officials in general make sure they couldn't get away with it now. There'd be above half an hour added time every week.

• Site Supporter
57 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

That banking round Burnden was like an extra man in those days. You didn't want to be sliding down there with Tommy or Roy bearing down on you. You'd be picking gravel out of everywhere for days.

VAR and shit officials in general make sure they couldn't get away with it now. There'd be above half an hour added time every week.

I remember a game against Man City at Burnden. City golden boy, Georgi Kinkladze was put down onto the cinders by Alan Thompson early on. He just didn’t want to know for the rest of the game. Never showed for the ball.

I think we won 1-0

32 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I remember a game against Man City at Burnden. City golden boy, Georgi Kinkladze was put down onto the cinders by Alan Thompson early on. He just didn’t want to know for the rest of the game. Never showed for the ball.

I think we won 1-0

Poor man’s Sasa

• Moderators
5 hours ago, MickyD said:

I think we won 1-0

5 hours ago, MickyD said:

One each. 

We beat them 1-0 the following season, both played that night too 

On 11/11/2023 at 22:57, FrancisFogarty said:

I’ve heard Harry Redknapp of all people tell this story on something. Second hand of course, as their careers didn’t intertwine.

Knowing him, he probably tells people it was him who heard it first hand.

• 4 months later...

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamPlyrs/PlyrsDeath.html

I've emailed them asking to check. They reckon it's Frank Blunstone

5 hours ago, Rival Son said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-68602140

Sad news but, if I'm not mistaken, Tommy is now the oldest living England footballer. Congratulations.

Well done Tommy. 

3 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamPlyrs/PlyrsDeath.html

I've emailed them asking to check. They reckon it's Frank Blunstone

I suspect they’re confusing longest surviving - Frank Blunstone first appeared for England in 1954, but is only 89 - with oldest surviving - Tommy didn’t make his England debut until 1958, but is 94.

if you receive a response from them, it might be worth pointing out the difference.

13 hours ago, Rival Son said:

I suspect they’re confusing longest surviving - Frank Blunstone first appeared for England in 1954, but is only 89 - with oldest surviving - Tommy didn’t make his England debut until 1958, but is 94.

if you receive a response from them, it might be worth pointing out the difference.

They never replied but they've clarified and corrected their Web page now