Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Reading (H)

Bertie

I am not Sheehans biggest fan, but yesterday on a few occasions he did a brilliant job covering back.

Their number 10 pulled Santos out of position and they filled the space leaving us 3v3 at the with Sheehan one of those. Even though the first goal came from one of these that was more because others did not cover. Sheehan put in more tackles than I have seen from him in a single game. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Ani said:

I am not Sheehans biggest fan, but yesterday on a few occasions he did a brilliant job covering back.

Their number 10 pulled Santos out of position and they filled the space leaving us 3v3 at the with Sheehan one of those. Even though the first goal came from one of these that was more because others did not cover. Sheehan put in more tackles than I have seen from him in a single game. 

Good.

After seeing the weak challenge of Banga Verage in the lead up to their goal several times now, it makes your piss boil.

OK, others could also have done better, but welching out isn't acceptable. Must do better.

Sheehan ended up being last man back on more than one occasion. He was everywhere yesterday and unlucky not to cap a great performance with a stunning goal.

17 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

JDC wasn't at his best on Monday but has been one of the better players this season.

Watch the goals back, he wins a tackle for first goal, great ball for second , he is involved  in 3rd and 4th too. I thought he was outstanding. 

14 minutes ago, Traf said:

Sheehan ended up being last man back on more than one occasion. He was everywhere yesterday and unlucky not to cap a great performance with a stunning goal.

In the lead up to their 1st he was covering for Santos who'd fucked off aimlessly into the reading half and made 2 good tackles/blocks but the ball fell to where he would've been if he wasn't covering for his captain.

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

In the lead up to their 1st he was covering for Santos who'd fucked off aimlessly into the reading half and made 2 good tackles/blocks but the ball fell to where he would've been if he wasn't covering for his captain.

Nothing wrong with a centre half going up occasionally though. Gives the opposition something different to think about, which is what we've been calling for.

When someone does, it is only right that someone covers.

Well done to Sheehan for doing so.

Only just having a read through the comments, but I'm struggling to read any more, some of the bollocks that was spoken upto half time, including the team selection, beggars belief.  Talk about seizing on the negatives and ignoring the great football (from both teams at times).

Absolutely cracking, entertaining game of football nearly as good as the last home game, in fact better from the point of view that Reading made a great game of it, unlike Oxford.  17 goals in the last 5 home games, and most of those with our duff 2nd choice strike force.  (First 9 homes of season, scored 16 even after getting 6 in first 2).  One home defeat in the last 13 and that was played mainly with 10 men.

Home games are a pleasure to attend ATM.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Only just having a read through the comments, but I'm struggling to read any more, some of the bollocks that was spoken upto half time, including the team selection, beggars belief.  Talk about seizing on the negatives and ignoring the great football (from both teams at times).

Absolutely cracking, entertaining game of football nearly as good as the last home game, in fact better from the point of view that Reading made a great game of it, unlike Oxford.  17 goals in the last 5 home games, and most of those with our duff 2nd choice strike force.  (First 9 homes of season, scored 16 even after getting 6 in first 2).  One home defeat in the last 13 and that was played mainly with 10 men.

Home games are a pleasure to attend ATM.

Great Post 👏

1 hour ago, Ani said:

. Sheehan put in more tackles than I have seen from him in a single game. 

He did get his foot in but he kinda spoiled it diving in for the stupid booking and he's picked up quite a few - does anyone know how many he's on and whether or not he's close to a suspension?

Be a shame if we had to go into a crucial end of season game without him.

Reading arrived in decent form and came looking for a result which led to a very open (too open?) entertaining game. 

They could have scored 5 or 6 themselves, we could have had 10.

Just now, Wanderlust said:

He did get his foot in but he kinda spoiled it diving in for the stupid booking and he's picked up quite a few - does anyone know how many he's on and whether or not he's close to a suspension?

Be a shame if we had to go into a crucial end of season game without him.

11 or 12 and no ban because the deadline has passed.

Just now, Traf said:

11 or 12 and no ban because the deadline has passed.

So that was an amnesty which wiped out his previous score? I thought it might carry on to another threshhold - I'd assume there would be one as otherwise it gives players carte blanche to kick the shit out of anyone afterwards.

On 01/04/2024 at 17:48, auckland_bwfc said:

Came on here expecting a deluge of positivity.....

Oh dear. 

Well I enjoyed it. Three points, GD improved and most importantly,  some of the best football we've played this season In patches. What else do we want, really,?

Are you new to this site? 😀

To answer your question, personally, nothing (from home games).  The issues are away against top half teams but that's another conversation entirely, for another day.  Anyone that couldn't just enjoy the home games so far in 2024 aren't watching the right sport.

I'm a big fan of Bod as I may have mentioned, but for balance, I went for a chat with my brother at H-T (sat in 2 different parts of ESL) and we both said "Bod's not been on it 1st half".  Nothing was sticking, but he won a couple of headers and played that excellent ball to Sheehan I think from near the byeline.  But its rubbish to say it was one of his better games, he just happened to score a couple of tap ins, it changes everyone's perception.

Collins to a lesser extent, didn't have a stormer, gave the ball away a lot, did some very good things and wasteful at other times.  its good to play so well knowing that individually we can be better - Cogley, Ogbeta, Tomo, Sheehan and then Dempsey also weren't on their A game in possession, IMO. 

Hopefully we're saving the complete performance for Pompey!

Edited by Johnnyrotten

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm a big fan of Bod as I may have mentioned, but for balance, I went for a chat with my brother at H-T (sat in 2 different parts of ESL) and we both said "Bod's not been on it 1st half".  Nothing was sticking, but he won a couple of headers and played that excellent ball to Sheehan I think from near the byeline.  But its rubbish to say it was one of his better games, he just happened to score a couple of tap ins, it changes everyone's perception.

Collins to a lesser extent, didn't have a stormer, gave the ball away a lot, did some very good things and wasteful at other times.  its good to play so well knowing that individually we can be better - Cogley, Ogbeta, Tomo, Sheehan and then Dempsey also weren't on their A game, IMO. 

Hopefully we're saving the complete performance for Pompey!

Neither of Bod's goals were "tap-ins". His first was a fantastic technical finish, and his second was awkward as fuck from a move that Thomason should have finished really. Still baffled why George didn't just smash it, but obviously not complaining.

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Neither of Bod's goals were "tap-ins". His first was a fantastic technical finish, and his second was awkward as fuck from a move that Thomason should have finished really. Still baffled why George didn't just smash it, but obviously not complaining.

Aye, Bod wasn't expecting that pass!

Good reaction in fairness to stretch out the leg and turn it in.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

You don't have to sell those goals to me, they were quality finishes.  But if he misses either he gets absolutely slated (like he did despite that excellent header at Derby, and doing everything right when the keeper saved at Blackpool). 

FWIW I don't get why Bod wasn't flagged offside for the 5th, looked clear on replay, but maybe a defender out of site?  I'd love us to get a borderline call like that in a tight, crucial game to come.

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

You don't have to sell those goals to me, they were quality finishes.  But if he misses either he gets absolutely slated (like he did despite that excellent header at Derby, and doing everything right when the keeper saved at Blackpool). 

FWIW I don't get why Bod wasn't flagged offside for the 5th, looked clear on replay, but maybe a defender out of site?  I'd love us to get a borderline call like that in a tight, crucial game to come.

Not by me. Neither of them were straight forward, and he did enough in the game to merit praise whether he scored them or not.

Edited by Cheese

6 minutes ago, gonzo said:

made the top 5.

Seriously though, how good is it to see fans in the south.

Let's get that full every week.

they should make the south lower the safe standing area 

and just have away fans in the upper

6 minutes ago, gonzo said:

made the top 5.

Seriously though, how good is it to see fans in the south.

Let's get that full every week.

Got to be the south lower as standing section to try and get all 4 sides with fans in them. Makes such a difference to atmosphere that even if it just entices fans from other areas to move it would be worth it.

12 hours ago, Stig said:

Got to be the south lower as standing section to try and get all 4 sides with fans in them. Makes such a difference to atmosphere that even if it just entices fans from other areas to move it would be worth it.

It doesn't seem 5 minutes since we were debating closing upper tiers so that there would be some atmosphere!