Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Crumble or pie?

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Nooooo.

Got to make your own. Cook the fruit to your own preffed level.

Then lash it with your preferred accompaniment. That's another debate. 

Evaporated milk, cream, ice cream whatever.

@tomskiwas telling me he prefers to make his own, rather than shop bought. He said something about putting a touch of cinnamon or nutmeg in it as well, I think. He's always been a bit of a maverick like that. 

Absolutely love rhubarb and Morrisons do a decent rhubarb pie but it’s hit and miss when they have it in stock. Better with crumble though

Apple pie every time. Never crumble. Hot or cold. Custard, double cream or ice cream. Park Cakes near me in Ashton have a factory shop that knocks out rejects for £1. Lovely!!

49 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Absolutely love rhubarb and Morrisons do a decent rhubarb pie but it’s hit and miss when they have it in stock. Better with crumble though

Apple pie every time. Never crumble. Hot or cold. Custard, double cream or ice cream. Park Cakes near me in Ashton have a factory shop that knocks out rejects for £1. Lovely!!

the Morrisons Rhubarb pies are Amazing 

but like you say its Hit and Miss if they have them in

1 hour ago, little whitt said:

the Morrisons Rhubarb pies are Amazing 

but like you say its Hit and Miss if they have them in

They are always by the front door and never in the bakery section so are always gone early

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Sweep said:

@tomskiwas telling me he prefers to make his own, rather than shop bought. He said something about putting a touch of cinnamon or nutmeg in it as well, I think. He's always been a bit of a maverick like that. 

Tomski could feed half the town with the size of his rhubarb. 

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Tomski could feed half the town with the size of his rhubarb. 

I know, he was telling me he's struggling to get rid of it, he's got so much. He's promised me one of his home made crumbles, he's a good lad is @tomski

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Sweep said:

I know, he was telling me he's struggling to get rid of it, he's got so much. He's promised me one of his home made crumbles, he's a good lad is @tomski

Dunno about his, but the stuff I'm having is a touch less flavoursome than normal.

Growing like absolute fuckery, but I reckon the amount of water is contributing to this strong growth but lesser flavour.

Friend of ours made some rhubarb cordial- really good, especially refreshing on a hot day. If we ever have any of course.

• Site Supporter

I did a small (2 raised bed) garden in the day centre I worked in. This is about 5 or 6 years ago. Nobody does much to it now, but the rhubarb plant I put in is still going strong. I don't expect the flavour is what it was though.

15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Can't have strawberries on top now. Unless they're organic or home grown.

Supposedly worst of the produe for absorbing pesticides.

I'm working with a company in Agritech at the minute, with regards to growing strawbs, it's fucking massive business. Anyway, I'm working on helping them with the required lighting conditions - it's complex as fuckery, but hopefully will be worth a few quid. The place I've visited (which is apparently "secret" but you can see it from miles away, so it's can't be that secret) grows them vertically, hence they need artificial light - these things must be 30m to 40m tall. The enviroment is carefully controlled, so zero pesticides are required (allegedly)

If what they're wanting to design comes off, and fingers crossed it will, then it'll be great for UK Farming export Industry, apparently - which is nice to know as you don't hear "British Agriculture" and "Success" mentioned together very often at all these days. They can also reduce the workforce from several dozen to just 2 or 3 people to run a site, as it's all done robotically, so it's a real win/win for the industry, as they generally can't get staff these days to pick the fruit.

Here endeth todays news about the Strawberry Industry in the UK :)

12 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I'm working with a company in Agritech at the minute, with regards to growing strawbs

I'm working on helping them with the required lighting conditions - it's complex as fuckery, but hopefully will be worth a few quid.

60W or 100W?
Screw-in or bayonet.

Piss easy your job, even you can do it.

• Members
1 hour ago, Sweep said:

I'm working with a company in Agritech at the minute, with regards to growing strawbs, it's fucking massive business. Anyway, I'm working on helping them with the required lighting conditions - it's complex as fuckery, but hopefully will be worth a few quid. The place I've visited (which is apparently "secret" but you can see it from miles away, so it's can't be that secret) grows them vertically, hence they need artificial light - these things must be 30m to 40m tall. The enviroment is carefully controlled, so zero pesticides are required (allegedly)

If what they're wanting to design comes off, and fingers crossed it will, then it'll be great for UK Farming export Industry, apparently - which is nice to know as you don't hear "British Agriculture" and "Success" mentioned together very often at all these days. They can also reduce the workforce from several dozen to just 2 or 3 people to run a site, as it's all done robotically, so it's a real win/win for the industry, as they generally can't get staff these days to pick the fruit.

So all them that tasted fucking marvellous when my grandad used to grow them in horse shit were bad for me then?

They are fucking pants now. Red containers of water and pulp. Flavourless shite no doubt foisted upon us by those faceless fucktards in Brussels.

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

So all them that tasted fucking marvellous when my grandad used to grow them in horse shit were bad for me then?

They are fucking pants now. Red containers of water and pulp. Flavourless shite no doubt foisted upon us by those faceless fucktards in Brussels.

I'm not sure anybody has said that, or anything like it

Your Australian Strawberries may be shit, and I know this will massively disappoint you, but the local ones grown on the farm near me are lovely, and have been both during and after our membership of the EU :)

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Sweep said:

Sounds good.

Similar concept to the tomato growing industry, for example. 

Some of the experimental places I've seen on the TV etc are like laboratories!

Our produce is produced to high standards (for the most part) but production is being pressured from various sides, so any innovation is welcome.

Any more on those little robot doofers that can go between rows of crops, zapping weeds as they move?

21 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Your Australian Strawberries may be shit, and I know this will massively disappoint you, but the local ones grown on the farm near me are lovely, and have been both during and after our membership of the EU :)

Boooooo! Down with Brexitberries.

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Sweep said:

There were initial concerns over the flavour of hydroponic system produced food. Dunno if that's improved since, probably has.

Don't know if your new strawberry method uses such technology. 

I once saw a circular system that fed the plants with water and nutrients, the water would then continue into a tank/pool of fish that would eat any waste bits from the plants, and then the fish water containing fish shit would go back into the growing areas, providing nutrients. Meant less overall waste and cheaper for fertiliser.