Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A Reason For Our Low Attendence's

tkonion

I've read a lot on the forum recently about our dwindling gates and while I know they undoubtedly are heading in the wrong direction can't help but feel that the reason it looks as bad as it does is because they where actually quite small even at their peak.

My geordie mate once critisised our relatively small crowds and was astounded when I pointed out how much competition we have for the football watching publics dollar in the area.

Man utd, City, Everton, Liverpool, Blackburn where all enjoying successfull periods (Obviously to varying degrees) when we where in the widerness and all are within a thirty mile radius. Add to those the likes of Wigan, Burnley, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Preston and it's no surprise that we can't compete with most of the premier league clubs who either

have less competition in their areas or in the case of the London clubs a denser (in more ways than one) population in the same catchment.

In my opinion it will take several years of the relative success that we have recently had to build the fan base up to a level where we could be in danger of the stadium being to small to meet the demand, we had been heading in the right direction until a couple of years ago when a combination of things have conspired to reverse the tide e.g. the novelty of being in the top division, uninspiring football, rising costs, the ticketing fiasco for the Worthington cup final when the club stooped to new levels of incompetence, the fact is that up to then fans thought that being a season ticket holder guaranteed you would be at the front of the queue when demand outstripped supply but found out otherwise when it actually happened.

Around three years ago fans where buying season tickets for fear of missing out on the big games but as S.T. sales have first peaked and now started to reduce it has become obvious that we can get tickets for every league game without a problem.Next season the club really need to get it right by announcing the match ticketing and membership policy before the early purchase deadline for S.T.'s expires allowing fans to make an informed choice rather than try to guess whether they would be better of going on a match by match basis or commiting the money up front.

On the whole I am as dissapointed as anybody but feel that the fans attendance at games cannot be taken for granted and the club must make it once again attractive to hold a season ticket and only then can the slide be reversed.

It annoys me when I see kids donned in United , Liverpool, Everton and City shirts in my town of Atherton, they are the catchment areas. Too many parents decide their kids shall be Manure fans and then the poor beggers never go to a footy game. I went down market Street Sat morning for a pie and out the people including kids wearing footy tops not one was a Bolton shirt.

Beer swiller

It annoys me when I see kids donned in United , Liverpool, Everton and City shirts in my town of Atherton, they are the catchment areas. Too many parents decide their kids shall be Manure fans and then the poor beggers never go to a footy game. I went down market Street Sat morning for a pie and out the people including kids wearing footy tops not one was a Bolton shirt.

Beer swiller

Is it not the case that it is easier to buy a Manure top than a Bolton shirt?

I know the club promote football in the community 'in Bolton' but how far outside the Borough they venture I'm not sure.

Perhaps they need to target the likes of Atherton, Leigh, Aspull, Chorley, Bury, Prestwich, Whitefield, Worsely and Walkden.

But, apart from Walkden, none of those are in the Bolton community, so would that not make it a bit of a misnomer?

Edited by no balls

Charlton have trebled their gates in the last 10 - 15 years by looking for fans all over Kent.Putting coaches on for them and giving them cheap tickets.They've got more fans watching their home games than us now when they were averaging around 9,000 in the top flight in the late 80s.

If Charlton can do it,we could,its a case of the powers that be wanting to increase our support base.

• Moderators
Charlton have trebled their gates in the last 10 - 15 years by looking for fans all over Kent.Putting coaches on for them and giving them cheap tickets.They've got more fans watching their home games than us now when they were averaging around 9,000 in the top flight in the late 80s.

If Charlton can do it,we could,its a case of the powers that be wanting to increase our support base.

kent and lancashire/manc have one or two significant differences with regards to competition

also, georgie boy, forgive me if i'm wrong, but i detect a certain cyniscism in your last sentence

why in gods name wouldn't they want to increase the number of folks in the ground

But, apart from Walkden, none of those are in the Bolton community, so would that not make it a bit of a misnomer?

They all have contingents of support for the whites but sadly even with our recent status its easier for kids to "support" our more glamourous neighbours even if they never get to see them play live. I think maybe the club needs to look outside of the Bolton bounderies to the surrounding areas mentioned by Happy to catch our future supporters while still young, After all Manure don't care whether their support comes from within Manchester or not.

Charlton are not well liked by non-league outfits in the South East, who are losing their fans due to Charlton's outreach policy.

kent and lancashire/manc have one or two significant differences with regards to competition

also, georgie boy, forgive me if i'm wrong, but i detect a certain cyniscism in your last sentence

why in gods name wouldn't they want to increase the number of folks in the ground

Gillingham had a problem with Charlton poaching supporters from their territory and Charlton have almost as much competition from big clubs as we do.

We could be targeting the Chorley/Preston even Blackpool area with the good motorway access and the fact that ManUtd is full anyway and City is more hassle to get to.

I wasnt being cynical.I think that we would get 25,000 Bolton people at most home games if the board tried harder though and we wouldn't need to do what Charlton have done.

Probably the biggest thing the club could do, although too late for this season, is reduce the cost of season tickets further. Surely it would be better to play in front of a full stadium with fans paying less, than a three quarters full stadium where fans have paid what we are currently paying? More people also equals more merchandise sales etc so must make more sense. One of the main reasons I didn't buy a S.T. again this year is because it's very likely that the club will have to run offers (like last saturday) to put bums on seats and I'll likely save money by NOT having a season ticket (I went and took my daughters boyfriend with me for less than the averaged out price per game of a season ticket just for me, Good for me and him but irritating for S.T. holders no doubt).

• Site Supporter
Probably the biggest thing the club could do, although too late for this season, is reduce the cost of season tickets further. Surely it would be better to play in front of a full stadium with fans paying less, than a three quarters full stadium where fans have paid what we are currently paying? More people also equals more merchandise sales etc so must make more sense. One of the main reasons I didn't buy a S.T. again this year is because it's very likely that the club will have to run offers (like last saturday) to put bums on seats and I'll likely save money by NOT having a season ticket (I went and took my daughters boyfriend with me for less than the averaged out price per game of a season ticket just for me, Good for me and him but irritating for S.T. holders no doubt).

i don't think they will make as many games so cheap that it would work out cheaper than a season ticket,but if they do it wouldn't really bother me.

i paid 450 for my s t in east upper,and if i get entertained like the last game on at least 10 occasions,that would be value for money at ?24 a match.

however,in the current climate of decreasing crowds for less fashionable clubs,i can see prices coming down again next year.

the likes of Bolton and Blackburn don't need full stadiums to compete at this level due to TV revenue,but i personally enjoy the match better in a full stadium,it just looks so much better.

I know the club promote football in the community 'in Bolton' but how far outside the Borough they venture I'm not sure.

Perhaps they need to target the likes of Atherton, Leigh, Aspull, Chorley, Bury, Prestwich, Whitefield, Worsely and Walkden.

I've worked for Football in the Community and we did go to Chorley and put sessions on

Only the big four in the area will always have a healthy support.

We're top of the next level really - as Jackburn/Wigan have worse attendances with much cheaper tickets than us.

Preston get 12k when they're fighting for promotion to the PL.

We all lose a lot of fans to Liverpool/Man Utd - anyone who's ever got a train from Manchester, after a game at OT, will notice that there are hundreds of glory-hunters from the Preston/Blackpool area reading their Red Issue's :roll:

I just think that most people don't enjoy a day at the Reebok - so they don't bother going anymore.

It'll be a sad day when we join the 'below 20k' mark tho <_<

Guest tel_net
Only the big four in the area will always have a healthy support.

We're top of the next level really - as Jackburn/Wigan have worse attendances with much cheaper tickets than us.

Preston get 12k when they're fighting for promotion to the PL.

We all lose a lot of fans to Liverpool/Man Utd - anyone who's ever got a train from Manchester, after a game at OT, will notice that there are hundreds of glory-hunters from the Preston/Blackpool area reading their Red Issue's :roll:

I just think that most people don't enjoy a day at the Reebok - so they don't bother going anymore.

It'll be a sad day when we join the 'below 20k' mark tho <_<

Even OT hasnt been full this season....AFAIK

• Site Supporter

When I turned up on Saturday and saw that I was surrounded by empty seats I was extremely disappointed. The 3 0 result in the main cheered me up considerably, but I was also impressed that of those fans who were in the East Upper a far lesser percentage left their seats early and there weren't as many moaning f#ckers. OK, this may largely be down to the result but maybe it's the future, less fans but those who do turn up making it a more enjoyable experience.

that would be more to do with the fact they made the ground bigger as opposed to less fans turning up though right?

Also, I think some feel they have been taken advantage of with regards to the ability of the club to take cup ticket money out of their accounts automatically and so have cancelled their STs. You can only take the piss out of folk for so long and even the 'OT faithful' (that's mugs in English) are now getting disillusioned.

Charlton are a good example because they are a similar-sized club to us but they seem to have a much more enlightened approach to generating support. For instance this season they said that anyone who bought a season ticket for the Championship games would automatically get a FREE season ticket if they were promoted back to the Prem. at the first attempt! They charge the same price for every single seat in the ground and they were the cheapest ground in London last season. Their ticket office also has a local number!

Charlton are a good example because they are a similar-sized club to us but they seem to have a much more enlightened approach to generating support. For instance this season they said that anyone who bought a season ticket for the Championship games would automatically get a FREE season ticket if they were promoted back to the Prem. at the first attempt! They charge the same price for every single seat in the ground and they were the cheapest ground in London last season. Their ticket office also has a local number!

the free season ticket offer was if bought by a certain date early summer / just after thay had gone down, but all the same, cannot see BWFC ever offering the same incentive.

if they did, 90% of this board would call them citing a lack of ambition, and we really don't want to go back up cause it will cost the club money.

Beer swiller

In some of them cases, their parents will actually be from the teams area, so want to inbed their loyalty into their child, as to not forget were they and/or the family are from. Man United, City, Liverpool and Everton are 4 Clubs from 2 of the biggest cities in the country, big populations, not everyone stay in the city they were born.

Not ALL fans are glory hunters.

In some of them cases, their parents will actually be from the teams area, so want to inbed their loyalty into their child, as to not forget were they and/or the family are from. Man United, City, Liverpool and Everton are 4 Clubs from 2 of the biggest cities in the country, big populations, not everyone stay in the city they were born.

Not ALL fans are glory hunters.

Wonder who you could be talking about there eh?

Feeling guilty? :p

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.