Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Is It Now Time...

chief wiggum

Sometimes its better to be lucky then good :pardon:

On being consistent 3 wins out of the last 4 works for me

Consistent over a season. You lot wanted him to be judged on a full premier season in charge, so I am giving him that season.

the bloke has deserved some of the shit he's been getting through playing wrong formation,tactics,team selection ,i am not a megson fan and never will be.

but he deserves credit for the last 4 games 3 wins out of 4 is good going, and decent performances even against the bindippers,now the test is,he set the standard of performances now and they shouldn't fall below that.

In the next eight games we play all of the top four plus Villa (away) who many are touting to break into the top four position this season.

Like it or not we won't be picking up too many points between now and the 17th January (home to United).

I've no doubt what so ever that many will be screaming for Megson's head long before then.

But in all honesty how many other managers would get good results against United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal (yes I know they are going through a bad spell at the moment) and Villa?

Megson did a wonderful job last season after the debacle that Lee had left behind.

Megson has got us to a mid table position with a third of the season gone - which is better than eight other managers in this division - despite many Bolton fans opinion of him as being clueless.

Eight games from now we will be much further down the table - no much doubt about that really - but (and it is a big but) we would have played all of the big four both home and away apart from Chelsea at the Bridge and our run in to the end to the end of the season four months later is probably the easiest of any club in the Premiership - so a decent mid table finish is in my opinion a real possibility.

Megson is and never will be a manager that the big clubs will come a courting but whether people like it or not he has done a good job for this club and he as certainly earned my respect and thanks for that.

Losses to United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Villa are in all honesty to be expected - and if we manage to scrape any points from them, then that will be a bonus - however I imagine many will once again be calling for Megson's head long before that.

In the next eight games we play all of the top four plus Villa (away) who many are touting to break into the top four position this season.

Like it or not we won't be picking up too many points between now and the 17th January (home to United).

I've no doubt what so ever that many will be screaming for Megson's head long before then.

But in all honesty how many other managers would get good results against United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal (yes I know they are going through a bad spell at the moment) and Villa?

Megson did a wonderful job last season after the debacle that Lee had left behind.

Megson has got us to a mid table position with a third of the season gone - which is better than eight other managers in this division - despite many Bolton fans opinion of him as being clueless.

Eight games from now we will be much further down the table - no much doubt about that really - but (and it is a big but) we would have played all of the big four both home and away apart from Chelsea at the Bridge and our run in to the end to the end of the season four months later is probably the easiest of any club in the Premiership - so a decent mid table finish is in my opinion a real possibility.

Megson is and never will be a manager that the big clubs will come a courting but whether people like it or not he has done a good job for this club and he as certainly earned my respect and thanks for that.

Losses to United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Villa are in all honesty to be expected - and if we manage to scrape any points from them, then that will be a bonus - however I imagine many will once again be calling for Megson's head long before that.

Which is why......for better or worse, he is given a full season in charge for us to judge him. Which is why I am going to try and stop having a go at him, as for better or worse, he is in charge of the team i'll follow until death.....and beyond

I didn't like Megsons appointment, I remember saying when he was still manager at West Brom that if he ever got the job at Bolton I'd stop coming. However talk's cheap and the club is far more important than who is fleetingly in charge so I'm still dragging my arse down the 'Bok and actually have quite liked the way the bloke handles himself away from the field of play for a while now.

If the players that we (hopefully) sign in the January window are as effective as the majority of his previous signings have been AND this results in more consistant attacking play, and of course more consistancy in picking up points then I will happily eat humble pie. I would love to have been wrong and there are signs over the last few weeks (and a few last season) that maybe I was.

Edited by tkonion

He's clearly got a plan for us to be a consistent, mid-table side who play decent football and occaisonally may go on a cup run or get into Europe.

We've all got reservations about his past record and if he's got the managerial nous to pull it off, but the signs are there that we are improving and have been pretty much since he stepped through the door.

The Chairman is behind him, the players are behind him, i don't think it's too much to ask for us to get behind him aswell.

Edited by Tombwfc

It's a cliche but at the moment we need to take 1 game at a time because at 5pm on 13th Dec we could be in a very difficult position yet again.

I think you will find it is a "clique"........

I think you'll find it's a quiche.

As for Megson, he has my 100% support and he should have the 100% from all Bolton fans.

He's our manager of our team: get behind him.

3 of our next 6 matches are winnable

Sunderland away is an easier fixture than it was last season.Lost 4 of their 7 home games and looked poor today.

Portsmouth at home,3 days after Pompey play a Uefa Cup tie.Good time to play them.

Wigan at home.

If we do go on a losing streak as you suggest and are in the relegation zone after 20 or 21 games,then blaming the fixture list is a bit lame.The reasons will have been the failure to collect maximum points from winnable home games(WBA,Blackburn and Arsenal more than Everton) and the glorious opportunity blown to win at Newcastle/reluctance to attack a Tottenham side with little confidence and a poor keeper.

17 points from 14 games is an acceptable return (for me) but if it turns into 19 points from 22 games then its very generous to blame the fixture list!

Three of our next six games are winnable - I do agree. However do you think the other five against United, Chelsea, Liverpool Arsenal and Villa are winnable too?

Realistically we will be towards the bottom of the table after 22 games - however 7 of those 22 games (more or less a third) would have been played home and away against the United, Liverpool and Arsenal plus having played Chelsea once too.

Six to 8 points would probably be a realistic return over the next eight game period - which would probably see us with say only 24 points with 22 games gone - this would probably put us in the bottom three and renew the clamour for Megsons head.

My point though is that not many other teams or managers would get any better than that given the same fixture list.

Once however we get past the 22nd game (United at home) then or remaining fixtures give us an opportunity to shoot back up the league. Whether we like it or not the big four will win points from most of the games they play - so once we have played them and got them out the way then we can at least watch other teams drop points to them as we start to pick up points in more winnable games against non top four teams.

I take your point that we perhaps should have picked up more points than what we already have - but the same could be said of the eight teams currently below us and the five teams who are above us by only two points or less!

If we had won just ONE game that we only DREW in we would be in seventh place in the league! Would you still be saying we were underachieving then?

Megson might not be your ideal manager but he's not doing as bad as many on here seem to think he is. He did a wonderful job for us last season following the wreckage that Lee had left and he is only two points off seventh place with over a third of the season already gone - but still that is not good enough for many Wanderers fans.

All I'm saying is to expect us to go down the table during the next eight matches then start to rise thereafter. With or without Megson this will happen. So not much point going on about him being a clueless fucker during the next eight matches please.

3 wins out of 4 not consistent? I think this was, roughly, the 4th or 5th game since "Megson's team" has been fully fit and available to him. Before that people(including me) were saying "give him a run with his own team before deciding anything"....

This run with 'his' team has done well and the football has been better (at times). I see progress, I'm happy for it to continue and hopefully one or two more players can come into a settled side that's doing well in January.

Sad thing is, a defeat at Stamford Bridge and it'll be back to "He's a mug", "Chelsea were there for the taking", "not positive enough" and we could win 10 straight - it still won't win over the people who will refuse to give him a decent go.

If we go unbeaten till then I reckon we will be knocking on the door for a Europa Legue spot.

Strongly disagree with that.When Lee was sacked,i was of the opinion that any reasonable manager would keep Bolton up with the pool of players we had.With Anelka and Diouf in the forward pool all we needed was somebody to organise the team defensively which any competent manager shouldbe able to do.

Megson's decision to try and get away without repacing Anelka in January very nearly got us relegated.It was more an inspired goalkeeping performance by Al Habsi and bad Middlesbrough finishing that kept us up last season than wonderful management.Would i settle for 37 points again this season and pray its enough?...no i wouldn't

pretty sure Megson tried signing both Elmander and Gudjonssen in January as well as other presumably

Megson is not a charismatic manager, he needs to reailse that managing a football club also involved conecting woth the fans of the club, this is something he has failed to do at every club he has managed, it may be the ginger hair.

The fans also want to be excited by the team, agian something he fails to do.

However the single most improtant thing a manager must do is get results, he is doing that so people should atsrt to get behind him, i do not mean he is the ginger mourhinio but he is doign an ok job. in all organisations you need some gary nevilles who people do not like but do their job. a bit of the 'no one likes him we do nt care' attitude.

i am afraid some of the people wanting exciting football with a charismatic manager taking us into europe and sulking cos they aint getting it are sounding like spoiled kids that want mummy and daddy to do everything for them.

what more can he do ?

I'll get off his back when we become consistent.

We've won three of our last four, with the only blip coming against Liverpool, who'd likely as not be unbeaten if they'd gone to Tottenham a week before they did.

The top boys aside, I suspect that's about as consistent as anyone's going to get this season.

We won at Boro, who won at Villa two weeks ago, who won at Arsenal last week, who beat United the week before, etc, etc.

That's the kind of league we're in.

There aren't too many games that aren't winnable for anyone.

Christ, six points either way could see us either bottom of the table or in a UEFA Cup place. :blink:

We've won three of our last four, with the only blip coming against Liverpool, who'd likely as not be unbeaten if they'd gone to Tottenham a week before they did.

The top boys aside, I suspect that's about as consistent as anyone's going to get this season.

We won at Boro, who won at Villa two weeks ago, who won at Arsenal last week, who beat United the week before, etc, etc.

That's the kind of league we're in.

There aren't too many games that aren't winnable for anyone.

Christ, six points either way could see us either bottom of the table or in a UEFA Cup place. :blink:

God, try quoting the full updated quote before going off on one, read up and you will find that I said OVER A SEASON FFS

God, try quoting the full updated quote before going off on one, read up and you will find that I said OVER A SEASON FFS

Deep breaths, Muzzle, deep breaths.

I was merely saying that, because, with one or two exceptions, pretty much anybody can beat anyone else, consistent teams are going to be thin on the ground.

It won't take a right lot to be slightly less mediocre than the rest.

Deep breaths, Muzzle, deep breaths.

I was merely saying that, because, with one or two exceptions, pretty much anybody can beat anyone else, consistent teams are going to be thin on the ground.

It won't take a right lot to be slightly less mediocre than the rest.

Fair enough, I was reading your post after watching clarkson on the television

Strongly disagree with that.When Lee was sacked,i was of the opinion that any reasonable manager would keep Bolton up with the pool of players we had.With Anelka and Diouf in the forward pool all we needed was somebody to organise the team defensively which any competent manager shouldbe able to do.

Megson's decision to try and get away without repacing Anelka in January very nearly got us relegated.It was more an inspired goalkeeping performance by Al Habsi and bad Middlesbrough finishing that kept us up last season than wonderful management.Would i settle for 37 points again this season and pray its enough?...no i wouldn't

I refer you to my comments on the thread below and the article itself from an employee at the club during under both Lee and Megson.

Also I don't believe for one moment that Megson / the club deliberately did not try to get a replacement in for Anelka - there were reports from at least a couple of continental clubs after the transfer deadline that we indeed made bids that were turned down*. A bid for Elmander being just one example.

I think your personal dislike of Megson may be clouding your judgement of what he as achieved to date.

http://www.wanderersways.com/forum/index.p...c=50596&hl=

* Edit - Just found one example -

Bolton are to make another bid for St Etienne striker Bafetimbi Gomis.

Gary Megson, who had a ?7million offer turned down in January, will not pay the quoted ?17m....

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/footba...ne-striker.html

Edited by Sluffy

I don't dislike him.My dislike is for the way his team plays.The display in Madrid for example was the most negative performance that i have ever seen from a Bolton side.Allardyce's weakened team defending the 5-2 at Villa Park were more adventurous.It worked on the night,but we've been fielding sides almost as negative as that this season in our home games!The game plan at home to teams as weak as Blackburn and WBA seems to be to get to half time 0-0 and then try and win the game in the second half.With the ?27 million or so Meggo has spent,i don't expect to be bored at home games watching a negative Bolton side scared to get men forward against WBA or Blackburn!

But as stated elsewhere 17 points from 14 games is acceptable.

Fair enough George - but is it not the way the game as evolved into these days?

The fear of losing Premiership status (and much more importantly the money that goes with it) as driven the vast majority of teams into more and more negative tactics.

Arsenal and perhaps West Brom being possibly the most notable exceptions (and I don't think either of those teams supporters are too happy with their results at the moment).

I don't think Megson is alone in sending out negative teams - results are much more important than entertainment these days.

Even mega rich Man City will be spending the sheikhs money on beefing up their defence in the next transfer window!

Fair enough George - but is it not the way the game as evolved into these days?

The fear of losing Premiership status (and much more importantly the money that goes with it) as driven the vast majority of teams into more and more negative tactics.

Arsenal and perhaps West Brom being possibly the most notable exceptions (and I don't think either of those teams supporters are too happy with their results at the moment).

I don't think Megson is alone in sending out negative teams - results are much more important than entertainment these days.

Even mega rich Man City will be spending the sheikhs money on beefing up their defence in the next transfer window!

Hull. Man City play attacking football. West Ham will under Zola. Villa do. Stoke have a go. I would say that we line up as negative as anyone, or at least we did for those home games George mentioned. He lost a lot of support in those games.

This idea that every team plays dour, negative football is rubbish in my opinion, it had some weight about 3 seasons ago but that has been and gone.

Hull. Man City play attacking football. West Ham will under Zola. Villa do. Stoke have a go. I would say that we line up as negative as anyone, or at least we did for those home games George mentioned. He lost a lot of support in those games.

This idea that every team plays dour, negative football is rubbish in my opinion, it had some weight about 3 seasons ago but that has been and gone.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion - but do the Premiership facts back you up?

Hull have not won in their last 5 games - yes they scored 7 goals but they also conceded 12.

Man City - (with the Arab trillions) did win on Saturday but before that they did not win in the previous four - scoring 3 goals and conceding 8.

West Ham (with Zola in charge) won on Sunday - but before that had not won in the last eight matches - scoring only 3 whilst conceding 12

Villa are doing very well but over their last five matches they have scored six and conceded 6

Stoke in their last six matches have scored 4 and conceded 10 - but the big story here is the almost total reliance on Rory Delaps throw-ins for the attacking threat. Stoke have scored only 14 Premiership goals this season at least seven of which came from Delaps long throw in!)

Compare these teams with Megson's so called negative tactics -

In the last five games we have won three - scoring 6 and conceding 4.

The table below comperes these teams over the last five games -

won - drawn - lost - for against - goal difference - points

Stoke 3 - 1 - 1 - 4 - 6 - -2 - 10pts

Bolton 3 - 0 - 2 - 6 - 4 - +2 - 9pts

Villa 2 - 1 - 2 - 6 - 6 - 0 - 5pts

West Ham - 1 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 6 - -3 - 5pts

City 1 - 1 - 3 - 6 - 8 - -2 - 4pts

Hull 0 - 2 - 3 - 7 - 12 - -5 - 2pts

So in this mini table the best team is one-dimensional Rory Delap based throw in attacking Stoke followed by our Megson led negative tactical Bolton - who by the way is the only team with a positive goal difference!

Yes Megson sides might be dour and Hull sides swashbuckling - but like it or not its the end result that matters - not how you get there.

Whilst dour, boring, dull as ditch water football is successful for clubs with unlimited transfer funds - teams (such as Bolton) will play it.

As I've said that is the way the game as developed in recent seasons - I don't like it either - but don't blame Megson for it, he's just better at succesful negative football than most other of his peers.

Edited by Sluffy

You are obviously entitled to your opinion - but do the Premiership facts back you up?

Hull have not won in their last 5 games - yes they scored 7 goals but they also conceded 12.

Man City - (with the Arab trillions) did win on Saturday but before that they did not win in the previous four - scoring 3 goals and conceding 8.

West Ham (with Zola in charge) won on Sunday - but before that had not won in the last eight matches - scoring only 3 whilst conceding 12

Villa are doing very well but over their last five matches they have scored six and conceded 6

Stoke in their last six matches have scored 4 and conceded 10 - but the big story here is the almost total reliance on Rory Delaps throw-ins for the attacking threat. Stoke have scored only 14 Premiership goals this season at least seven of which came from Delaps long throw in!)

Compare these teams with Megson's so called negative tactics -

In the last five games we have won three - scoring 6 and conceding 4.

The table below comperes these teams over the last five games -

won - drawn - lost - for against - goal difference - points

Stoke 3 - 1 - 1 - 4 - 6 - -2 - 10pts

Bolton 3 - 0 - 2 - 6 - 4 - +2 - 9pts

Villa 2 - 1 - 2 - 6 - 6 - 0 - 5pts

West Ham - 1 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 6 - -3 - 5pts

City 1 - 1 - 3 - 6 - 8 - -2 - 4pts

Hull 0 - 2 - 3 - 7 - 12 - -5 - 2pts

So in this mini table the best team is one-dimensional Rory Delap based throw in attacking Stoke followed by our Megson led negative tactical Bolton - who by the way is the only team with a positive goal difference!

Yes Megson sides might be dour and Hull sides swashbuckling - but like it or not its the end result that matters - not how you get there.

Whilst dour, boring, dull as ditch water football is successful for clubs with unlimited transfer funds - teams (such as Bolton) will play it.

As I've said that is the way the game as developed in recent seasons - I don't like it either - but don't blame Megson for it, he's just better at succesful negative football than most other of his peers.

I don't think we are as negative as people make out, and we are playing more football.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.