Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Credit Crunch

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This credit crunch excuse is bollox. The media spout on about this and as usual creates panic. How many people can honestly say they have been hit that seriously in the pocket?

I'm better off out of it as petrol and food etc has dropped in price.

although i don't have a mortgage so no doubt when i try and get one it'll be a lot harder than it was 3 years ago

This credit crunch excuse is bollox. The media spout on about this and as usual creates panic. How many people can honestly say they have been hit that seriously in the pocket?

Me.

People who idly put their heads in the sand and say there isn't a problem are the ones spouting boll?cks.

Have you not seen the estate agents closing down in Bolton,are you not aware of conveyancing depts in law firms closing in the North West?

Just a media fairy tale because you have a safe job is it?

I'm sure the ex-employees of Woolworths and MFI also believe that the credit crunch is boll?cks.

Also the staff at Whittards will have a shit New Year: they're the next to go.

Never mind though, because most on here are doing OK, so it doesn't really matter.

I'm sure the ex-employees of Woolworths and MFI also believe that the credit crunch is boll?cks.

Never mind though, because most on here are doing OK, so it doesn't really matter.

They were fcuked before the credit crunch, but I'm sure it didn't help. However I would add most employees in the car manufacturing industry to the list as most of their jobs are extremely unsecure if not already gone.

Have you not seen the estate agents closing down in Bolton,are you not aware of conveyancing depts in law firms closing in the North West?

Just a media fairy tale because you have a safe job is it?

No job is ever safe so don't pull that one. I actually work for a bank so I could hardly say my job is safe. The average man in the street has hardly been affected due to the so called credit crisis. Yes people have lost jobs but that is always happening. I recently worked in debt collection and recovery so I do see the figures.

I'm better off out of it as petrol and food etc has dropped in price.

although i don't have a mortgage so no doubt when i try and get one it'll be a lot harder than it was 3 years ago

I was talking to my cousin, Head Teacher, he knows that there is a credit crunch, but it doesn't touch him.

There seems to be 2 sectors; public and private, only one is affected negatively.

Edited by boltondiver

I was talking to my cousin, Head Teacher, he knows that there is a credit crunch, but it doesn't touch him.

There seems to be 2 sectors; public and private, only one is affected negatively.

not really at our place t there plenty who's mortgages savings etc are fecked

OK jobs and pay etc might not be at risk but pay and grading has pretty much fecked everyone over already on that score

No job is ever safe so don't pull that one. I actually work for a bank so I could hardly say my job is safe. The average man in the street has hardly been affected due to the so called credit crisis. Yes people have lost jobs but that is always happening. I recently worked in debt collection and recovery so I do see the figures.

I very much doubt that but I'll take your word for it. Please take my word that the man in the street will be affected very soon if not already. Many many companies have got to Christmas year end holding on with their fingernails with a virtually zero orderbook for the new year. When VAT returns and corporation tax are due early next year it will be a blood bath I tell thee. This will be a credit crisis worse than many can get their head round, I mean FFS the banks are skint and Woolworths who do 50% of their business in December cant hold on from October !! I just wonder why the Car and Banking industries have priority over other sectors when it comes to bail out?? I'm sure theres many Woolworths employee wouldnt mind a bit of public money with their bonus' ringfenced.

Happy Christmas btw :drinks:

not really at our place t there plenty who's mortgages savings etc are fecked

OK jobs and pay etc might not be at risk but pay and grading has pretty much fecked everyone over already on that score

Well, that's the point!

Public Sector numbers have risen by 12,000 in the last quarter, private sector having allen by 144,000.

Public Sector Fact

At least half of public sector workers are inefficient leftist workshy spongers.

So, sack half of them and offer the others an overnight 30% pay rise.

Anyone with more than a months 'bad back/stress' related sick pay over the last 3 years are first on the list. Unionmen soon after, followed by communists, folk with beards, cardigans, etc etc etc.

The same work will get done, the deadwood will be weeded out, and the State saves 35% on the wage bill.

I should be the f?cking Prime Minister me.

people are being affeceted by the credit crunch, losing jobs etc etc

in every recession there are also winners, my mortgage has gone down by about ?500 per month since november.

i was in a group of 2 for one job which i got the other guy is 62 and fucked now, his wife was at bradford & binlgey and went three months ago.

it creates uncertainty and when that happens people who are worried stop spending on luxuries which includes football.

Add Zavvi to the list. They've gone too.

2008 has been a bleak year for many retailers.

And it now looks like Allied Carpets next closing down sale really will be a closing down sale.

They're on the verge of going under too. (Zozzy will be pleased!)

And it now looks like Allied Carpets next closing down sale really will be a closing down sale.

They're on the verge of going under too. (Zozzy will be pleased!)

:yahoo:

I am pleased about that for more than one reason. I used to do some sub-contract work Allied them years ago. They are not a nice company to work for. They had your bank details to pay into by BACS which was often more than 6 weeks after the job was done. The fitting rate was low per sq. yard to the fitters but high to the customers. They demanded payment in full from the customer before we even turned up, including fitting charge and a ?25 delivery charge, and that was more than 10 years ago.

I could have left my business card at every house for future jobs to be done directly with me if I was that way inclined, but contrary to popular belief I am a man of high moral standards.

I have carpet customers of my own going back over 20 years that won't go anywhere else, including many cyber customers that have found me on Wanderersways.com (happy wanderer will be after his cut now). I supply all types of carpet direct from the wholesalers and my cash discounts and discount for being a BWFC supporter make me an ideal choice to beat the credit crunch. Also I believe that customer satisfaction is very important (just ask Smiley's missus )

• Moderators

What a great business though, lets sell CDs on the high street when the market is saturated, people are buying online, purchasing digitally or as the industry would have you believe - downloading everything for free.

Selling computer games for ?45 2 years after their release when you can get them for ?9.99 at Play, doing BOGOF offers on the same games - WHAT A BARGAIN!

The surprise isn't that Zavvi went under but that it lasted that long.

:yahoo:

I am pleased about that for more than one reason. I used to do some sub-contract work Allied them years ago. They are not a nice company to work for. They had your bank details to pay into by BACS which was often more than 6 weeks after the job was done. The fitting rate was low per sq. yard to the fitters but high to the customers. They demanded payment in full from the customer before we even turned up, including fitting charge and a ?25 delivery charge, and that was more than 10 years ago.

I could have left my business card at every house for future jobs to be done directly with me if I was that way inclined, but contrary to popular belief I am a man of high moral standards.

I have carpet customers of my own going back over 20 years that won't go anywhere else, including many cyber customers that have found me on Wanderersways.com (happy wanderer will be after his cut now). I supply all types of carpet direct from the wholesalers and my cash discounts and discount for being a BWFC supporter make me an ideal choice to beat the credit crunch. Also I believe that customer satisfaction is very important (just ask Smiley's missus )

Nice ad! :good:

The ramifications of this recession will be felt for a few years yet, so people saying it hasn't affected them are naive

It will

Crime and unemployment will shoot up in the next year and for my money we're still suffering the fallout from the eighties, so it'll have long term consequences too

It's not good, and the truth is it's simply about people living beyond their means, it was obvious that most folk were doing so too

Company I work for.

Cancelled the xmas bonus ( a gift usually wine & chocolates )

Cancelled the xmas party ( which was already paid for at over ?50.00 a head )

laid of 50% of the office temps

No pay rise next year.

Yet we made target in the first 9 months and did'nt finish the last quarter to far down.

It'll be interesting to see how next year pans out but I think we have gone overtly cautious

Company I work for.

Cancelled the xmas bonus ( a gift usually wine & chocolates ) same here

Cancelled the xmas party ( which was already paid for at over ?50.00 a head ) same here

laid of 50% of the office temps folk on short term contracts have not had them renewed

No pay rise next year. I don't expect we'll be getting one

It'll be interesting to see how next year pans out but I think we have gone overtly cautious

U hope we have!

The company I work for is currently being bought up for about ?3.20 due to the collapse of the once great British Pound. My bonus was only 3 figures, that doesn't even pay for Xmas FFS.

Merry Xmas.

? 9.99 ?

Edited by Gonk

im hopin i still get me ?2k bonus in may/june. Successful year and the company i work at are wethering the storm well if we are to be believed.

Personally not feeling the pinch too much as yet, i rent, have no savings/pension and skint as fook all the time anyway! Forward planning is not my forte.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.