Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Beckham Out Of World Cup

HR

I'm devastated for the guy. I used to hate him, but over the last few years I have grown to admire him. I think he is a genuinely nice lad and would do anything for his country. Personally if the world cup was tomorrow (and he hadn't got injured) then I would have started him on the right as I believe that none of the other options are good enough to step up, and he is still a top quality player.

I'm devastated for the guy. I used to hate him, but over the last few years I have grown to admire him. I think he is a genuinely nice lad and would do anything for his country. Personally if the world cup was tomorrow (and he hadn't got injured) then I would have started him on the right as I believe that none of the other options are good enough to step up, and he is still a top quality player.

Agreed, his attitude should be an example to the rest of the prima donna's in the squad, and the likes of Jamie fuckin Carragher!!

he is an ex england captain who is happy to swallow his pride and become a squad memeber to pick up 10-15mins here and there for his country!, I too used to despise him but he has definately won me over

Agreed, his attitude should be an example to the rest of the prima donna's in the squad, and the likes of Jamie fuckin Carragher!!

he is an ex england captain who is happy to swallow his pride and become a squad memeber to pick up 10-15mins here and there for his country!, I too used to despise him but he has definately won me over

He is only happy to pick up 10-15 minutes here and there because he has Shiltons appearance record in sight.

He is only happy to pick up 10-15 minutes here and there because he has Shiltons appearance record in sight.

Amuses me when Shilton points out Beckham's current "cheap" caps.

If anybody got cheap caps for England, he did. 4 years of em.

Should have been fucked off when he got outjumped by someone 5'5"

Guest Frandsen08

im gutted and im gutted for beckham. model professional and always gives his all. he's the kinda player we need to take to the world cup, not just for playing ability but his experience off the pitch especially to be their for some of the younger players to look up too.

• Moderators

Beckhams a genuine nice bloke in a game littered with tossers imo.

indeed

and made the most of his talent

remember first time i saw him..it was a reserve game at burnden

this cocky kid in a united shirt ran the length of the manny rd stand, taunting the bolton fans, when united scored

always been confident and if he didn't work so hard, i'd hate him

He could still go, if he will be that important to the younger players. Obviously not as part of the squad.

Rooney could get a hat trick in world cup final and he would still be on the back pages in the morning. Managed it last week by simply putting a scarf on.

This is good news for England. Beckham is not good enough to play for England. His last appearances from 100 caps onwards have all been down to sentiment. And don't tell me Capello would not pick him if he wasn't good enough. Capello is just like the bonking Swede and has bought in to the Beckham myth. Capello's reputation as a hard manager went out of the window over the Terry affair. Terry should have been suspended until after the World Cup but no the shoddy Eyetie puts winning a cup (which they won't do) above doing the decent thing. If Beckham had been playing in the 50s and 60s he would never had made it in football. Tommy Banks would have seen him off.

Guest Frandsen08

adam johnson to replace him?

very good shout that, i've been impressed every time i've watched johnson.

This is good news for England. Beckham is not good enough to play for England. His last appearances from 100 caps onwards have all been down to sentiment. And don't tell me Capello would not pick him if he wasn't good enough. Capello is just like the bonking Swede and has bought in to the Beckham myth. Capello's reputation as a hard manager went out of the window over the Terry affair. Terry should have been suspended until after the World Cup but no the shoddy Eyetie puts winning a cup (which they won't do) above doing the decent thing. If Beckham had been playing in the 50s and 60s he would never had made it in football. Tommy Banks would have seen him off.

What puzzles me about Capello (apart from Becks) is the way he says things like 'you must be playing regular Prem football to get into the England squad' then picks several players who are hardly playing Prem football at all, or just back from long-time injuries.

Still, he's got England looking more like an international team at last.

Agree with your views on Beckham. He certainly wouldn't have been considered a starter, so from the playing side of things, he's not going to be a huge loss. His presence in and around the camp may be missed, but as has been pointed out, he may still be able to be in south africa with the squad.

As for JT, surely winning the world cup is more important than some personal issue between JT and WB. JT is still one of our two best centre backs and therefore has to go the world cup imo.

Anyway if JT is should be suspended, should Ashley Cole not be either as he has played away?

If Beckham had been playing in the 50s and 60s he would never had made it in football. Tommy Banks would have seen him off.

Likewise if Tommy Banks at his peak was playing now - he'd get ripped apart by virtually every player he came up against.

The fitness levels,athleticism and pace are far superior now than they were back then imo.

Woodbine anyone?

adam johnson to replace him?

Theres always 1 player that gets in the squad who nobody expected to, and this year I think it could be Johnson. He's got a very good shout considering the ther options for that position.

Lennon - Would be my 1st choice now Beckhams out, but will be injured for a while longer.

Walcott - I do think on his day he can be very effective, but he hasn't played much for Arsenal and is often very predictable.

Wright-Phillips - I rate him in the Premiership, but I don't think he has ever stepped up and performed for England.

Milner - I rate him very very highly, but is playing regularly centre mid for Villa and probably will do for the rest of the season.

Young - Rate him as well, but hasn't performed anywhere near as well as last season, although he is starting to hit form again.

Downing - Never really rated him as highly as others, he has been playing well for Villa, but again I don't think he is international quality.

Johnson has impressed me every time I have seen him (which admittedly isn't a huge amount), but with the move to a big club and playing with top quality players week in week out, I wouldn't be suprised to see his name in the squad.

Theres always 1 player that gets in the squad who nobody expected to, and this year I think it could be Johnson. He's got a very good shout considering the ther options for that position.

Lennon - Would be my 1st choice now Beckhams out, but will be injured for a while longer.

Walcott - I do think on his day he can be very effective, but he hasn't played much for Arsenal and is often very predictable.

Wright-Phillips - I rate him in the Premiership, but I don't think he has ever stepped up and performed for England.

Milner - I rate him very very highly, but is playing regularly centre mid for Villa and probably will do for the rest of the season.

Young - Rate him as well, but hasn't performed anywhere near as well as last season, although he is starting to hit form again.

Downing - Never really rated him as highly as others, he has been playing well for Villa, but again I don't think he is international quality.

Johnson has impressed me every time I have seen him (which admittedly isn't a huge amount), but with the move to a big club and playing with top quality players week in week out, I wouldn't be suprised to see his name in the squad.

Well we have done well under Capello without Beckham starting many games, i'd have Walcott and Lennon ahead of SWP,but i don't agree SWP has never stepped up for England

Our best winger is Joe Cole, he made the left side is own, but injury got in the way and doesn't always start for Chelsea at present, we need someone like him on the right, i don't like seeing Gerrard on either wing, he should be in the middle, Walcott is capable but can be unpredictable, he destroyed Croatia but has been hit by injury and his currently trying to get back some form, which has happened in the last few games.

Lennon is very talented, he should be back before the World Cup, if he doesn't start he's a fantastic player to bring on against tired players late in a game.

Beckham is a legend, i just hope our better players don't follow suit and get injured also.

As has been said before I hated him after France but totally changed my view after the Greece game at OT, that performance

that day was one of the best I've seen in an England shirt. Proud to say that I was there.

Taking Beckham to South Africa would have attracted criticism from some quarters (not from me), similarly not taking him would have attracted an equal amount of flack. Is this a sign of a lucky manager, i.e. a decision that has been taken out of his hands? If so, I hope it continues until well into the summer.

100 per cent agree there.

I cannot stand this cunt and that media circus of a life he leads.

He is everything I hate about celebrity millionaire footballers.

Beckham, 'YOU'RE COUNTRY DOES NOT NEED YOU' so fuck off!

100 per cent agree there.

I cannot stand this cunt and that media circus of a life he leads.

He is everything I hate about celebrity millionaire footballers.

Beckham, 'YOU'RE COUNTRY DOES NOT NEED YOU' so fuck off!

could'nt have put it better myself , & the bonus is that a younger & hungrier

player will replace him ........ his media cavalry will try & install him in

some capacity he could become the pundit we all love to hate.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.