Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Recent Filums I've Watched

Smiley

• Members
7 minutes ago, Underpants said:

The Deer Hunter. Its on BBC2 now. I heard Mark Kermode slate this film on R5 yesterday.  All over the place he said 🤔. OK, not one of my personal favourites but it is a good film. Far from all over the place in my book.

It’s class

10 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Kermode is what you call a pretentious twat, what did Bazza Norman say, he's ya man 👍🏻

I like Kermode. And being pretentious is a prerequisite of being a critic, no matter what field they are in. It just suprised me that he hated The Deer Hunter.

Its a gritty blue collar melancholy/War drama. How pretentious was that 😊

Edited by Underpants

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Kermode is what you call a pretentious twat, what did Bazza Norman say, he's ya man 👍🏻

I'm currently writing a book on the video nasties scandal and trying to review all 156 titles on the list, but try as I might, it's sometimes nigh on Impossible to leave behind the pretentious twattery of critiquing films. 

Edited by DavidLeesMullet

9 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

I'm currently writing a book on the video nasties scandal and trying to review all 156 titles on the list, but try as I might, it's sometimes nigh on Impossible to leave behind the pretentious twattery of critiquing films. 

Like wine tasting you can't just say its good or bad. You have to dig the thesaurus out. There's room in this word for twatentious comments.

7 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Like wine tasting you can't just say its good or bad. You have to dig the thesaurus out. There's room in this word for twatentious comments.

Mind if I nick that word, will use it next time I see Mark Kermode on T. V. (Amongst many other words of mainly Anglo Saxon origin).

What I hate about film critics is comparing films to other films or books the average Joe Schmo will never have watched/read or want to watch/read. 

For example The Driller Killer was likened to Roman Polanski's 60s film Repulsion, how many people would have seen that?

The BBFC aren't helping my cause at the mo as they've just banned two Nazi-sploitation films from the list, making my task that much more difficult. 

Edited by DavidLeesMullet

5 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Mind if I nick that word, will use it next time I see Mark Kermode on T. V. (Amongst many other words of mainly Anglo Saxon origin).

What I hate about film critics is comparing films to other films or books the average Joe Schmo will never have watched/read or want to watch/read. 

For example The Driller Killer was likened to Roman Polanski's 60s film Repulsion, how many people would have seen that?

The BBFC aren't helping my cause at the mo as they've just banned two Nazi-sploitation films from the list, making my task that much more difficult. 

Film critics are basically predicting what the masses will think of a film when they review. Sort of a one man opinion poll. And like OP they sometimes get it massively wrong. And when that happens they sound like colossal penetrating phallus.

Linking from the Roses Tracey Mccloud and Grace Dent from Masterchef both look like they need a good feed too much to be taken seriously as food critics.  Surprised to find the latter is from Blackrod when she was affable guest on RadMac. 

The one who looked like Family Guy was brown bread just before Xmas. 

10 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

The Deer Hunter was one of the better Vietnam films, better than Platoon which was revered... imo. 

Kermode is a pretentious twat imo, yeah he is a film critic, but it's all about opinion and what type of film you like at the end of the day, unfortunately Kermode made it more about him than the film, didn't like him as a critic, doesn't make me wrong or right.

That's critics for you. I remember the first review of the Stone Rose's debut album by the NME, they gave it 6 and called every song average, years later they reviewed it, gave it 10 and no.2 in it's all time best albums list, but again it's all about opinions.

Kermode remains a twat, as does whoever reviewed the Rose's album the first time around at the NME  🤓🎬

The good Dr is excellent and the podcast is superb. Constantly spot on for me. As for the deer hunter, seen it a few times. The music is good, not up there as a true great personally. 

Rocks is a great film if anyone is up for a gritty story about a young girl in East London. 

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Underpants said:

I like Kermode. And being pretentious is a prerequisite of being a critic, no matter what field they are in. It just suprised me that he hated The Deer Hunter.

Its a gritty blue collar melancholy/War drama. How pretentious was that 😊

Have heard him talking about it before 

It's basically something like 3 films in one and they aren't linked together so well 

Like that first wedding scene that goes on for ages, well shot and put together in its own way, but irrelevant to the rest of the film 

It won an Oscar but technically, from a purists point of view it's a mish mash of a film where the director went up his own arse 

Thought it was alright myself

I'm with Commode, it's a mish-mash of vignettes, some good, some excellent and some meh - but linked like some afternoon TV Movie like 'My Child Has Nits'...

I think Kermode probably publicly says his favourite film is 'Umbrellas of Cherbourg' or 'White Heat' but I know for a fact it's really 'Candyman 2: Farewell to the Flesh'.

Blockbuster had their rental records hacked, Kermode has rented the horror film ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTEEN times.

5 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

The Good Dr is on my watch list, it's just getting the missus to watch it with me, if I start to watch it on my own she pipes up to why I haven't waited for her..... 2 months later 🤷‍♂️

Really enjoyed that

started ray donavon on the colonels recommendation last night 

7 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

The Good Dr is on my watch list, it's just getting the missus to watch it with me, if I start to watch it on my own she pipes up to why I haven't waited for her..... 2 months later 🤷‍♂️

Sorry I meant Kermode, he's referred to as the good Dr on the wikitainment podcast.

The mix of him.and Mayo is good as Mayo does take the piss when he gets a little too niche.

11 hours ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

The BBFC aren't helping my cause at the mo as they've just banned two Nazi-sploitation films from the list, making my task that much more 

The BFI and cinema apps on Amazon are your friend. Its never been easier to access films through Curzon at home.

Also that's why I want to hear from experts. So if I like a film/book or album and a criticism says they've taken this from this sources or references this then I can go and seek it out. Like getting to The Byrds by listening to the Roses.

17 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I hope them Rose's passed their test this morning, he is defo expecting a blowie after forking out a fortune from his model reserve fund 😍

Bet he was wounded opening his wallet 

13 hours ago, Underpants said:

The Deer Hunter. Its on BBC2 now. I heard Mark Kermode slate this film on R5 yesterday.  All over the place he said 🤔. OK, not one of my personal favourites but it is a good film. Far from all over the place in my book.

Don't think it's aged well at all

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Have heard him talking about it before 

It's basically something like 3 films in one and they aren't linked together so well 

Like that first wedding scene that goes on for ages, well shot and put together in its own way, but irrelevant to the rest of the film 

It won an Oscar but technically, from a purists point of view it's a mish mash of a film where the director went up his own arse 

Thought it was alright myself

His next film Heaven's Gate bankrupted United Artists and basically resulted in the end of director-led film production in America, so yeah you're right

31 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

The BFI and cinema apps on Amazon are your friend. Its never been easier to access films through Curzon at home.

Also that's why I want to hear from experts. So if I like a film/book or album and a criticism says they've taken this from this sources or references this then I can go and seek it out. Like getting to The Byrds by listening to the Roses.

Doubt I'll find a lot of the films I'm after on there, a lot of them were low or no budget  jobs that aren't that important film wise and have rarely been re-released on commercial DVD or Blu-Ray. 

Doubt many people have heard of such 'classics' as The Black Room, The Headless Eyes or Mad Foxes

2 hours ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Doubt I'll find a lot of the films I'm after on there, a lot of them were low or no budget  jobs that aren't that important film wise and have rarely been re-released on commercial DVD or Blu-Ray. 

Doubt many people have heard of such 'classics' as The Black Room, The Headless Eyes or Mad Foxes

That's like says Love's album isn't influential because it's not sold as many as Shania Twain (nothing against Shania Twain by the way)

Just because it's not popular or mainstream doesn't mean it's not important. Many of the so called classics were small budget independent films to start with, same with music, same with books.