Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

So Then

To be fair, I very much doubt I'll ever bump into you as I live over 7,000 miles away. I'm hardly gobby, I just called you out on the absolute drivel you've been serving up - it's worse than Bolton's fare over the past couple of months. All we get from you is negativity - I'm all for differences of opinions but good God you're getting dull. All I'm saying is that if you take a step back once the emotion has worn off, you can see that our season was, in the most part, very good - albeit with a squad that is paper-thin and in drastic need of a major makeover.

A top 8 position all season with a final droop in form is not bad for a team of our size. We're a small club. We always will be a small club. I very much doubt we'll ever see our beloved Bolton play in Europe again, and that's not down to the manager or the players, it's down to the fact that there are a lot of bigger, better and stronger teams in the league than us. We are not dissimilar to West Brom, Birmingham, Blackburn and Fulham in size. All of which (excepting Birmingham of course) are within 3 points either way of us at the end of the season - that sounds about right to me. What OC has done is to raise the profile of Bolton Wanderers and show the world that we CAN be more than just the kick-and-rush team of recent times. By getting loan signings of Jack Wilshere and Daniel Sturridge over the past two seasons he has proven this is the case.

We're in a transition phase, and fans that DEMAND success beyond means do not help push the club forwards. A good cup run is the best hope of silverware we have at a club like ours, and that can come with a cost - ask Birmingham fans. We need to get behind the team in ALL circumstances. I bet you left the Wembley game early. I stayed until the final whistle, turned to the Stoke fans and applauded them - they backed their team for the full 90 minutes, and would have if they had been beaten as well. I wanted to do the same.

Also, how can you hold Jussi responsible for conceding a goal off the BACK of an opposition player's head? If the attacker doesn't know where it's going, how the hell is Jussi supposed to figure it out?

See, no name calling in this one, just pointing out a few home truths - and sometimes the truth hurts.

So you're making all your assumptions by watching television 7000 miles away. Sorry my mistake, watching it in real life must be different seeing Everything especially what happens off the ball too is really clouding my judgement. Maybe I should stop goin home and away then I will think we are better than barcelona

• Moderators

To all the OC detractors, we can always try to get Gary Megson back?

now you're a bright bloke, granted you must be approaching the onset of senility, but why oh why does it always have to be llike this

folk look at what coyle has done and in some cases criticise so it's always 'well you can have megson if you want'

megson has gone

saying coyle has fcuked up and aint god doesn't mean megson would've done better or that anybody wants him back

• Site Supporter

when megson fucked up, it was because he was ginger

coyle fucks up, its because megsons was ginger

brilliant

now i certainly do not want to see us go through the manager v the fans debacle again, but some people need to realise, everything is not rosy under coyle.

the difference between megson haters and coyle haters is that coyle hater actually are prepared to support the manager still.

but the jury is definately out now imo.

im still hoping the complete shite served up at the end of last season, was down to the players having 'nothing' to play for, and lack of quality numbers.

up until then, it was a cracking season, but coyle must take responsiblity for the demise also.

big, big close season for cheery jock.

• Site Supporter

So you're making all your assumptions by watching television 7000 miles away. Sorry my mistake, watching it in real life must be different seeing Everything especially what happens off the ball too is really clouding my judgement. Maybe I should stop goin home and away then I will think we are better than barcelona

to be fair he only moved there 3 weeks ago..

• Members

now you're a bright bloke, granted you must be approaching the onset of senility, but why oh why does it always have to be llike this

folk look at what coyle has done and in some cases criticise so it's always 'well you can have megson if you want'

megson has gone

saying coyle has fcuked up and aint god doesn't mean megson would've done better or that anybody wants him back

Oh, do give it a rest, Bury boy. I am the last bloke to want Megson back. Even a bright bloke approaching puberty like you should be able to decipher that the Megson comment was merely a stark comparison of how much worse things could have been.

Be fcuking honest. Had we not got smacked 5-0 at Wembley - let's say we went out against Brum with a 3-2 away loss rather than the win and then we had an even time of it on the run in taking 7-8 points from a possible 15 - I am sure we'd be getting very little of this negative shiyte we are reading now.

Give OC a chance. FFS, we are an established Premier League club who have just finished mid table and reached an FA Cup semi final. What the fook do you want or expect?

I shall content myself with the fact that the majority are happy that Coyle is at the helm.

Be fcuking honest. Had we not got smacked 5-0 at Wembley - let's say we went out against Brum with a 3-2 away loss rather than the win and then we had an even time of it on the run in taking 7-8 points from a possible 15 - I am sure we'd be getting very little of this negative shiyte we are reading now.

You're probably right.

Is fucking off the Cup and finishing further up the league a good idea after all?

Not for me, but I bet there's one or two who have started to think it mightn't have been such a bad idea.

• Moderators

Oh, do give it a rest, Bury boy. I am the last bloke to want Megson back. Even a bright bloke approaching puberty like you should be able to decipher that the Megson comment was merely a stark comparison of how much worse things could have been.

you're missing my point, but taht could be my fault

so, nice and short

do i think coyles great, no

does it mean i want megson back...no

• Moderators

You're probably right.

Is fucking off the Cup and finishing further up the league a good idea after all?

Not for me, but I bet there's one or two who have started to think it mightn't have been such a bad idea.

nah, without the cup run there wasn't tbe brum match which was the highlight of the last few seasons

we managed to beat arsenal post wembley!

that's when our season ended, not before

now i certainly do not want to see us go through the manager v the fans debacle again, but some people need to realise, everything is not rosy under coyle.

the difference between megson haters and coyle haters is that coyle hater actually are prepared to support the manager still.

but the jury is definately out now imo.

im still hoping the complete shite served up at the end of last season, was down to the players having 'nothing' to play for, and lack of quality numbers.

up until then, it was a cracking season, but coyle must take responsiblity for the demise also.

big, big close season for cheery jock.

absoloutely Homo...couldn't of put it better myself

nah, without the cup run there wasn't tbe brum match which was the highlight of the last few seasons

we managed to beat arsenal post wembley!

that's when our season ended, not before

The Brum game was the highlight and we all thought Wembley would surpass it but our season ended at Old Trafford when the player who was MOTM every game he played was cut open by that dirty NI get. We didn't have any replacement especially with Mavies also being not available so we were punished at Wembley and every game apart for Arsenal (who were shit).

We need quality recruits and we have to trust OC to get them or next season will be an embarressment

• Moderators

The Brum game was the highlight and we all thought Wembley would surpass it but our season ended at Old Trafford when the player who was MOTM every game he played was cut open by that dirty NI get. We didn't have any replacement especially with Mavies also being not available so we were punished at Wembley and every game apart for Arsenal (who were shit).

We need quality recruits and we have to trust OC to get them or next season will be an embarressment

by their standards maybe

but they were far better than Sunderland, Blackburn and all that who beat us

we played well that day, seems to me that the mindset may have been "we've made up for Wembley, now let's go on holiday"

I agree most of our problems toward the end of the season came from not having a replacement for him - certinaly playing Elmander and Gardner in there made no sense to me - sad thing is, Davies was fit for Wembley!

• Site Supporter

The difference between the Arsenal game and the games against Blackburn, Sunderland and Blackpool, was that Arsenal had better players.

Arsenal had top drawer players who came to show off their silky skills in front of goal . . . and failed miserably by having an off day!

The other three took their chances at the first opportunity; probably having seen that tactic work for Stoke against us.

I never cease to be amazed by some of the negative posts on here.

Bolton fans seem to come in three camps, glass half empty, glass half full and never bloody happy whatever's in their glass!

For me it has been a progressive season, we have steadied the ship and produced some much improved performances but ran out of steam at the end.

I'm sure OC is under no illusions about how hard it will be next season for a variety of reasons.

There is now a lot of work required to improve squad strength and replace the outgoing 7/8 players with one of the smallest budgets in the league.

Not easy but I think OC is upto the task.

COYWM.

by their standards maybe

but they were far better than Sunderland, Blackburn and all that who beat us

we played well that day, seems to me that the mindset may have been "we've made up for Wembley, now let's go on holiday"

I agree most of our problems toward the end of the season came from not having a replacement for him - certinaly playing Elmander and Gardner in there made no sense to me - sad thing is, Davies was fit for Wembley!

It only needed a slight better performance and a switched on full back rather than Steinson and we could easily have beaten Sunderland, Blackburn and Blackpool (The margins in those 3 games were definately tight) - but we didn't and the squad is very limited.

Like some of said in other threads its a boring time after the season ends. This year I just hope we see a lot of new quality players putting on the white shirt in readiness for next season.

• Moderators

Is it just on here people are being negative? I don't read other sites, are they all overjoyed on there? I left at full-time on Sunday so must have missed the 20,000+ people OC love in. Maybe it's just WW that is unrepresentative.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.