Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

John Barnes Refuses To Codemn Suarez!

worthy10

Did that alcy tramp Dalglish not realise LFC's standing amongst the black and Asian communities?

I find it quite amazing, that i have not spoke to an Asian Liverpool that DOESNT back him and Suarez!!!!

Would appear they are selective in what offends them.

LFC is like a Cult !

Zico, a +1 from me.

Nailed it.

by saying nothing ? zico has not posted on this thread.

or he had nt when you agreed with him :blum:

nt sure how many can judge what he has said without hearing the interview, if he said 'stuff like this happens all the time , i should know' that would be one thing.

if he said 'us lot have to accept that white folk call us names' that is another.

go on read this and say is he saying it is ok ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8898054/Former-Liverpool-star-John-Barnes-says-society-is-to-blame-for-racism-problem-that-football-just-cant-shift.html

funny how pious pablo is about the peoples club but they were the ones chucking bannanas

Edited by Ani

by saying nothing ? zico has not posted on this thread.

or he had nt when you agreed with him :blum:

nt sure how many can judge what he has said without hearing the interview, if he said 'stuff like this happens all the time , i should know' that would be one thing.

if he said 'us lot have to accept that white folk call us names' that is another.

go on read this and say is he saying it is ok ?

http://www.telegraph...cant-shift.html

funny how pious pablo is about the peoples club but they were the ones chucking bannanas

Mark of a Club, is how it reacts to incidents like these !

John Barnes' view expressed recently is no different than I have heard him saying for 20 odd years - nothing to do with him being a former Liverpool player.

He is consistent in saying that using racist language is no worse than having racist thinking that is not expressed verbally but in a more subtle way - cue the debate about lack of black football managers.

It's about 15 years ago when somebody was called a 'Black Bastard' by another player (I think Ian Wright was the target) and Barnes' view was that the player should be more offended by the use of the word 'Bastard' and proud of the use of the word 'Black'.

It is complicated in that he was brought up as a middle class boy in Jamaica with plenty of priveledges so when he arrived in England and was the vistim of racist abuse he was more saddened than angry. His education and upbringing meant that he never felt inferior and he could take the view that those throwing the bananas where the ones who 'we' should feel sorry for due to their ignorance. However, he accepts that other players who are black (brought under different circumstances) will react differently because they still feel the word black conjures up an image of inferior, due to 400 years or so of oppression.

On both sides, the black players subject to abuse and the the players who are throwing the insults he feels education is the key and in any case what is happening in football is just an extension of society as a whole.

There are going to be many who disagree with him and some who may feel he has let down 'the cause' but on this issue I personally can't find any fault in his arguments whatsover and I think he is better placed than most to have a fair view on this.

John Barnes' view expressed recently is no different than I have heard him saying for 20 odd years - nothing to do with him being a former Liverpool player.

He is consistent in saying that using racist language is no worse than having racist thinking that is not expressed verbally but in a more subtle way - cue the debate about lack of black football managers.

It's about 15 years ago when somebody was called a 'Black Bastard' by another player (I think Ian Wright was the target) and Barnes' view was that the player should be more offended by the use of the word 'Bastard' and proud of the use of the word 'Black'.

It is complicated in that he was brought up as a middle class boy in Jamaica with plenty of priveledges so when he arrived in England and was the vistim of racist abuse he was more saddened than angry. His education and upbringing meant that he never felt inferior and he could take the view that those throwing the bananas where the ones who 'we' should feel sorry for due to their ignorance. However, he accepts that other players who are black (brought under different circumstances) will react differently because they still feel the word black conjures up an image of inferior, due to 400 years or so of oppression.

On both sides, the black players subject to abuse and the the players who are throwing the insults he feels education is the key and in any case what is happening in football is just an extension of society as a whole.

There are going to be many who disagree with him and some who may feel he has let down 'the cause' but on this issue I personally can't find any fault in his arguments whatsover and I think he is better placed than most to have a fair view on this.

Agreed with that. The rest of you can carry on apologising for being white englishmen

• Site Supporter

I think many people are missing something rather significant here, and I don't want to downplay the gravity of this fascinating issue, but...

No Balls stated earlier in this thread that John Barnes did something extremely pleasant to her involving his baggage, and I appear to be the only person requesting further details.

I'd just be happier if this was clarified please.

Was his baggage large?

• Moderators

Apparently some black people won't vote Labour either. Race traitors.

EDIT - before someone gets over-excited, I'm mocking how things have now gone so far full circle that the anti-racism warrior who started this thread thinks that someone's race is a relevant guide to what they will think and should think.

that's where this is for me now

aye, Suarez did wrong, aye he was punished, aye he could've acted better on Satdee

but now, because of how sensationlised the whole thing has become, there seems to be a mindset for folk to point out that they are not as racist as anyone else by trying to point out how worse everyone else is

• Site Supporter

that's where this is for me now

aye, Suarez did wrong, aye he was punished, aye he could've acted better on Satdee

but now, because of how sensationlised the whole thing has become, there seems to be a mindset for folk to point out that they are not as racist as anyone else by trying to point out how worse everyone else is

I'm going to Dubai on Thursday

This makes me less racist than anyone who isn't I reckon.