Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Changes Watching Bolton.

leigh white

Suppose with a lot of the other things also mentioned, it's got to be moving to the Reebok and playing in the top league for so long.

Talking about the Reebok i think it's a fantastic stadium,but like somebody's already said wish it was in Central Bolton.

Just remembered Segregation, in the mid 60's there wasn't any, as far as i can remember. Embankment or Lever End.

Good old Days.

Edited by white -50

Deciding at last orders on a friday night to all pile in the back of a van and set off to Torquay for the game.

Deciding at last orders on a Friday night to get the last bus to Leigh and hitch hike to the game; about 20 of us set off for Watford away on Friday and only 7 made it

Even in the last few years I don't remember that happening. Certainly under the manny Rd N it was tea, coffee or boveril but served by a couple of stunning young girls.

i don't even remember that... they weren't stunning

Piss rivers in the bogs, openly racist chanting in the crowd, being able to turn up on burnden car park a few hours before an away game & paying a few quid to jump in a van with a load of notrights smoking funny fags & periodically stopping to rob the services, the Manx cup, notifying substitutions with hand held numbers, blue spaz chariots parked inside the ground, 1970s posters about hooliganism that were still there in the 80s, away fans climbing the floodlights, the buzz of a crowd walking down manny rd towards a night game, pubs near the ground & car park demonstrations. I could go on.

I miss being able to sup a pint whilst watching the game at Burnden.

Even in the last few years I don't remember that happening. Certainly under the manny Rd N it was tea, coffee or boveril but served by a couple of stunning young girls.

In the 70's you could sup a pint whilst watching the match.

Deciding at last orders on a Friday night to get the last bus to Leigh and hitch hike to the game; about 20 of us set off for Watford away on Friday and only 7 made it

Done that, set off once for Charlton, with a few mates, got to somewhere in Cheshire and the Ale started wearing off, frost on't bottom of mi Jeans, about turn, spent all Saturday in bed.

I miss the "dug out" at burnden which consisted of 6 plastic chairs out in the open, non of these sportin heated bucket seats!!

Shouting "sit down you fat bastard" at Joe Royle when he was opposing manager on the dug-out seats in front of Manny Road North

Anglo Italian Cup, brilliant nonsense of a tournament - werent we unbeaten or something yet still got knocked out?

Georgie Hagi one of the first superstar foreign players I watched play against the whites. Also the most bizarre Ref turnaround after he took what seemed like guidance from the opposition manager... probably not looking forward to getting on the return flight back to Italy with them all

Didn't Collina ref the Brescia game?

I cant see many details about it online, Im sure theres a section on the Anglo Italian Cup in a Wanderers book Ive got somewhere. I think I remember reading that the attendance at our game in Pisa was 500, I wonder how many were Bolton

I cant see many details about it online, Im sure theres a section on the Anglo Italian Cup in a Wanderers book Ive got somewhere. I think I remember reading that the attendance at our game in Pisa was 500, I wonder how many were Bolton

From memory I'd say it was more like 300 or so, but I was leathered beyond belief. I've still got some crowd pics from the game - I'll see if I can dig them out for the gallery. Went to that & then England v San Marino the day after. Good days.