Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stopping Smoking

DazBob

I stopped but sort of without stopping.

Swapped to an electronic one (skycig) been using it since november and have never touched a cig since. yes i am still addicted to nicotine but at least i am not taking in all that tar and crap like that. Worth a look for people who just want to be a bit healthier way of getting your fix

• Members

I just want to be able to have a smoke with a drink at weekends ... but I want to be able to do it without the other 100 cigs inbetween.

Unfortunately I now know I can NEVER do that.

Patches for about 3 weeks should do the trick like they did last time. I hope.

• Members

So, you've stopped smoking and are sharing an office with someone who really annoys you?

haha, yep, and my first full day involved a trip to the Reebok.

With God's help, I'll conquer this terrible affliction.

I stopped but sort of without stopping.

Swapped to an electronic one (skycig) been using it since november and have never touched a cig since. yes i am still addicted to nicotine but at least i am not taking in all that tar and crap like that. Worth a look for people who just want to be a bit healthier way of getting your fix

Aye ditto,i last had a cigarette 31st Oct 2011, been on the electronic cigs ever since, but i think i'll knock them on the head this year.

• Site Supporter

12 weeks 3 days and 2 hours since my last smoke.

At the moment I need to think of something else as I am gagging this last couple of days more than the first few but not giving in now after this amount of time, just keep checking the bank and saying "that wouldnt be there if i was still smoking"

• Members

Never starting is best and I am lucky in that regard. One thing I have noticed though is that al the ones who have successfully quit I know have all done it cold turkey.

All the patch users and other nicotine delivery method attempts I have seen have resulted in them returning to the oily rags.

Never starting is best and I am lucky in that regard. One thing I have noticed though is that al the ones who have successfully quit I know have all done it cold turkey.

All the patch users and other nicotine delivery method attempts I have seen have resulted in them returning to the oily rags.

Hmm, i haven't got a link but i'm sure i read somewhere that less than 10% of smokers manage to quit cold turkey, whereas 50-70% manage to quit successfully with some type of nicotine replacemnet therapy - but as we all know,stats are a load of sheite.

About 12 weeks now, Mrs Cure and I stopped when we found out that we have yet another little Wanderer on the way!

It didn't bother me that much at first as I've only smoked Cubans for the past 8 or 9 years but in the last couple of weeks even just a sniff of rolling baccy is enough to get me climbing the walls in the pub.

One way I've found beats the craving is to keep drinking and talking so I don't stick a roll up in my gob.

Problem is that now everyone's complaining about the loud pisshead in the beer garden who won't shut the fuck up!

I've packed in a few times and cold turkey is the easiest way, either that or get a boss like mine who don't like smokers or smoking in works time. I've cut right down at work, I had 3 in a 9hr shift today.

I've packed in a few times and cold turkey is the easiest way, either that or get a boss like mine who don't like smokers or smoking in works time. I've cut right down at work, I had 3 in a 9hr shift today.

So the "cold turkey" method wasn't exactly successful for you then?

- and how can you say it's the easiest way, when your attempts to stop have failed?

• Members

I'll have to take your word J as you have been through it and I have not. Merely an observation on my part that of those I know who have quit, the vast majority have done it via the cold turkey route.

My mother has successfully jacked it in after smioking 50 a day for over 40 years. As is often the case, the converts are more violently anti smoking than some of us who have always hated the foul stench.

She can't believe how good food tastes again.

I'll have to take your word J as you have been through it and I have not. Merely an observation on my part that of those I know who have quit, the vast majority have done it via the cold turkey route.

My mother has successfully jacked it in after smioking 50 a day for over 40 years. As is often the case, the converts are more violently anti smoking than some of us who have always hated the foul stench.

She can't believe how good food tastes again.

Maybe that's the reason ex smokers usually stack on some extra poundage, rather than the usual "i need summat to do with my hands" before eating 4 Carrs pasties :D

In an attempt to get my sister to quit, I coached her two children to ask:

"Mummy, why do you love cigarettes more than us two?"

Even this failed, she refuses to try electronic cigs (despite all the positive testimonies from folk) because I really think, deep down, she still thinks, at 46 years old, that smoking looks 'cool' and you'd look a twat with an electronic one. Whereas being on a respirator in the ICU at the Royal Bolton, one looks cool as a motherf*cker 8)

In an attempt to get my sister to quit, I coached her two children to ask:

"Mummy, why do you love cigarettes more than us two?"

Even this failed, she refuses to try electronic cigs (despite all the positive testimonies from folk) because I really think, deep down, she still thinks, at 46 years old, that smoking looks 'cool' and you'd look a twat with an electronic one. Whereas being on a respirator in the ICU at the Royal Bolton, one looks cool as a motherf*cker 8)

Women just don't have the willpower!