Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Parkrun.org.uk

Smiley

My source tells me that Nonsuch Park is good fun,

My only visit there was for the 1989 English Cross-Country Championships as Stretford team manager. I told the team That I would be behind the starting pens for 10 minutes before each race (Youth, Junior, Senior). One senior collected his number before the Youth race, and no more before the Junior, leaving me standing in heavier and heavier rain with the bulk of the numbers. Eventually they appeared a few minutes before the start, having decided to warm up inside the College providing changing facilities to avoid the rain. At least they won a trophy for first Northern club to finish.

Edited by MalcolmW

• Moderators

Parkrun has just growed, like Topsy.

On a far bigger scale than the organisers ever envisaged. So when a course was set up at Platt Fields it didn't sound to be a very appealing name (even ignoring the link with MCFC), so South Manchester was chosen.

86 weeks later a separate course began operating at Wythenshawe Park.

And then another 41 days later another at Burnage.

Fair dos

Might try the Alexander park one then as probably got the best chance of winning

Fair dos

Might try the Alexander park one then as probably got the best chance of winning

you might win? Good effort

I'm expecting to walk my first one, then see how I can progress. As long as I don't make an ass of myself

I'm stopping in Wimbledon this weekend EG and was contemplating the one on the Common. Would my mate be able to park at this other one you mention?

Yes, there's a car park by the entrance though it does get busy. You can park in Sparrow Farm Rd which is close to the entrance if the car park is full. I drove there the Sat before last & there were parking spaces in the park about 10 mins before the start. Send M a mail if you want more info though.

Never mind Ron Hill, does Bruce Tulloch turn out? I am signed up for Barnstaple but never been. There isn't one in Kabul.

Tulloh was 80 in September.

His Parkrun history is:

Barnstaple 4/4/15

Killerton 26/7/14

Fulham Palace 12/4/14

Swindon 29/3/14, 31/3/13, 2/4/11, 16/10/10 and 1/5/10, and

Bushy Park 20/9/08

Commonwealth medalist Liz Yelling often does Poole parkrun. I think I beat her when we were there on our jollies. She *may* have been pushing her kids round in a pushchair at the time though.

I think Poole is the flattest one I've done. It's a bloody long way to go, however.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...