Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Academy

PGA

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

they still developed in our academy though and he was willing to take players from it and put them in the squad/first team

so it's not really neglecting it

I meant neglecting as in we made no effort to develop kids, fine sticking players in who were in the reserves when he arrived. In the time he was here he could have built an academy that was churning out players, but he didn't bother, neither did Megson.

Maybe Malcolm can provided the stats, I'd bet that in the last 10 years we've got somewhere near the lowest amount of players we've developed ourselves in the whole football league. For me, part of Fat Sam's legacy.

I meant neglecting as in we made no effort to develop kids, fine sticking players in who were in the reserves when he arrived. In the time he was here he could have built an academy that was churning out players, but he didn't bother, neither did Megson.

Maybe Malcolm can provided the stats, I'd bet that in the last 10 years we've got somewhere near the lowest amount of players we've developed ourselves in the whole football league. For me, part of Fat Sam's legacy.

and the improvement that you'll see over the next decade will be in part thanks to Coyle's work improving the academy infrastructure.

Gareth Bale came within one match of being dumped by Southampton at 16.

If he had been he might now be in Cardiff's squad. Or not.

Phil Jones wasn't even offered a youth team deal at Blackburn at 15 and was released (despite captaining England school boys, I think), a long term injury to a right winger and they offered him a youth team deal for one year, FACT.

Pot luck at a young age and we have never been lucky.

• Moderators

while we've not been guilty of letting much go that has gone on to achieve much

i suppose we have to accept the kids coming in might think twice about joininga club where lads don't generally make the first team

there has to be a chance that it's down to coaching so maybe you think twice

or maybe it is just that united/city get first dibs

• Moderators

i suppose we have to accept the kids coming in might think twice about joininga club where lads don't generally make the first team

that's pretty much it from what I understand/know about it

gartside has been looking at ways to uncover youth talent but not via the normal channels as they constantly lose out to other clubs

We should be in a position to give kids a chance that they wouldn't get if they go to big spending city and United. My dad was a teacher for years and I got dragged to watch loads of lads from his school play for United, Liverpool, Everton reserves etc but not one of them made it. The only one who ever did was mark winstanley who's dad told him not to bother with the big clubs but make a lower league career where he'd get a chance to play. There must be something left in this angle.

Very much so and I think they have a look at more players than ever (at younger ages too) nowadays.

You're missing the point. We had a reputation for giving young players who had come through our youth system a chance. It didn't help us to attract the likes of Paul Moulden, who played for Bolton Lads Club and went on to play for City. So how is it that Crewe were able to attract the likes of David Platt, Rob Jones, Geoff Thomas, etc. at that time? 

So how is it that Crewe were able to attract the likes of David Platt, Rob Jones, Geoff Thomas, etc. at that time? 

Catchment area.

no "big" clubs nearby (Stoke & Port Vale weren't big)

Best youth set up in the area, hence a growing reputation.

etc etc