Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Lofthouse Memorabilia For Good Homes

globaldiver

I think the items should belong to the people of Bolton and given free of charge to Bolton Museum or put on display at the Reebok.

Where I'm at. Ultimately it's free choice and the kids rightly or wrongly are going through the private auction route.

What worries me is no doubt these items will fade In to obscurity and never be seen by the majority (working folk / passionate fans) which Nat epitomised. It's a shame the items will be snapped up by collectors/ investors who don't care about the man himself but who just want 'another item' in their collection.

Nats one major part of our recent club history, and he means a hell of a lot to the Bolton folk more than anyone else still.

Edited by DIPS

I think the items should belong to the people of Bolton and given free of charge to Bolton Museum or put on display at the Reebok.

Whilst I agree to a point, maybe his family need the money, and if so, why shouldn't they profit from the stuff?

Hopefully either the club or the local council (or both combined) will buy the stuff, sadly though if it's going to auction it could end up absolutely anywhere in the world

Jeff said: “Apart from having stuff on display in my office, with nobody who comes round having any idea of who Nat Lofthouse is, there’s not a lot else I can do with it.

Hmmmm.

That was my initial response. Why not just donate it to the National Football Museum, or better still, BWFC? 

That was my initial response. Why not just donate it to the National Football Museum, or better still, BWFC? 

What would most people do?

Give it away for nothing so future folk can enjoy it........or flog it and get yourself upwards of £100K   -   sadly, I reckon the "profit" option is what most people would go for

What would most people do?

Give it away for nothing so future folk can enjoy it........or flog it and get yourself upwards of £100K   -   sadly, I reckon the "profit" option is what most people would go for

I know what you mean but it just seems wrong to split up the whole collection. It's going to end up all over the place if each piece is auctioned off individually.

I know what you mean but it just seems wrong to split up the whole collection. It's going to end up all over the place if each piece is auctioned off individually.

Then perhaps several people can own a piece of footballing history rather it all being sat in just one person's house?

Logic on a Friday

Trafford what are you playing at?

There's not much difference between several people owning it and one person owning it, if they're the only people who get to see it. If an institution owned it, everyone who wants to view it can see it, including future generations who aren't around to bid for it now.

There's not much difference between several people owning it and one person owning it, if they're the only people who get to see it. If an institution owned it, everyone who wants to view it can see it, including future generations who aren't around to bid for it now.

That's fine, but you said it was wrong to split up the whole collection.

Splitting it up is better than one bloke owning it all surely

The football museum for example having it on display, would be better still IMO. And I'm sure they're aware of the auction, so if they or a similar institution wants it, they can pay for it

Fair enough really

Anyway, what a daft thing to be arguing about

• Moderators

It was more for the no one knows he was comment...really??

Is it Spain he lives in, it was France maybe years ago. Why would they know who he was?

I'd imagine the football museum will hoover up the England stuff, that's arguably a better place for it than the Reebok.

It was more for the no one knows he was comment...really??

Nat’s son Jeff Lofthouse, aged 65, who now lives in France.

Jeff said: “Apart from having stuff on display in my office, with nobody who comes round having any idea of who Nat Lofthouse is, there’s not a lot else I can do with it.

“We both live overseas and will be retiring soon, so it makes sense for the items to stay in Bolton and be properly treasured.