Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

How Young Is Too Young?

Smiley

6 year old lad in my business partner's Saturday morning kids team is already training at Everton 1 night a week. And Liverpool 1 night a week.

City have now offered him to come train with them and are making "offers" as incentives.

AND we have been sniffing around quite a bit but not put any meat on the bones to entice him to the Reebok.

Madness really. 4 large clubs fighting over a lad so young.

• Members

Sounds like he's obviously very talented if standing out at such a young age.  I agree with Danny though, as long as he's enjoying it then that's the important thing.  He certainly shouldn't be felt like he has to play well.

Edited by DazBob

United had my lad at 7 years old. Bury & City also asked about him, he had a trial at Everton this summer, at Finch farm.

No problems at all.

Really was just like another training session for his Saturday morning team, loads of fun, no pressure at all.

They are bloody good at what they do.

Its the parents imo of some of these, that dont help.

Sounds like he's obviously very talented if standing out at such a young age.  I agree with Danny though, as long as he's enjoying it then that's the important thing.  He certainly shouldn't be felt like he has to play well.

This, though your first answer was better

Different clubs do it differently.

Some do it on a 6 week basis, so they may be in & out quite alot.

It's very important for the parents to manage these situations.

I know of 1 7 year old who is training with United, Bolton, Bury, and his own team.....and his dad is already saying things to his son about bieng a star, and has a go at him, when he "plays bad". Shocking really.

When that lad doesnt make it, and turns away from football, he will resent his dad.

I know of 1 7 year old who is training with United, Bolton, Bury, and his own team.....and his dad is already saying things to his son about bieng a star, and has a go at him, when he "plays bad". Shocking really.

When that lad doesnt make it, and turns away from football, he will resent his dad.

This.

Parents living through their children because "they didn't quite make the cut" is the danger.

I agree with Pablo about parents as I've seen it so many times.

That said, to offer incentives to a family of a 6 year old is also wrong. Unfortunately that is the way of football these days, the big clubs try and get the best players earlier and earlier to the extent of bringing 12 year olds over from abroad.

I help with my sons u11 football team and seen many players who were bobbins when they were 7 or 8 but have developed and are very good players. They have no chance of making it because the academy's are full of players who were hand picked when aged 7.

The kid sounds talented and probably is but in my experience, (and i have quite a bit because I have two young sons), clubs pick up the more physically mature kids at these ages. They select kids for a particular year group and because there is such a broad range of birth dates in that year group often its the older kids who are 'spotted'. It is possible that he will be 10 or 11 months older than some of the other kids in his year group. When he is 6 years old this makes a huge difference. I know some scouts who are completely racked off with the policy of looking at kids so young. 

I watched my youngest lad make his footballing debut last week - He's 6. When I was at Bolton Arena watching I saw a guy who I know is Man U's chief kids scout - He was there with his clipboard making notes of the "better" players - I'll bet he wasn't the only scout there either. Off to watch my eldest tomorrow who's playing for Bolton U13s town team vs Wirral schoolboys - he's just been picked for the first time & I've told him to just go & enjoy it, & he should be proud of himself just being picked - if he gets picked again great, if not it doesn't matter one bit. It's parental expectations & pressure that's messing kids football up, not academies.

The when word when says it all.

Clubs know theat they can select and claim exclusivity over a player at 9 yrs so the chase is on at a very young age.

I dont think parents of academy kids actually know what their children are missing out on.  Playing with your mates, winning tropies and finishing x position in the league doesnt happen, academy players usually just do round robin friendlies.If a player is good enough and is coached correctly he will get spotted at some stage, as said by others some are late developers.  Clubs are trying to breed 30 Ronaldos / Messi's in each age group, most of them doomed to failure even if they have the appetite for the academy environment for 10 years.

Lad I know called Ryan state was at Bolton from aged 7 till 17 then they fucked him off.

He's a football coach in USA now.

Jsl

Stayte, yeah I remember him.

What sort of incentives can the club offer the families of these kids? Match tickets? Replica shirts?

I watched my youngest lad make his footballing debut last week - He's 6. When I was at Bolton Arena watching I saw a guy who I know is Man U's chief kids scout - He was there with his clipboard making notes of the "better" players - I'll bet he wasn't the only scout there either. Off to watch my eldest tomorrow who's playing for Bolton U13s town team vs Wirral schoolboys - he's just been picked for the first time & I've told him to just go & enjoy it, & he should be proud of himself just being picked - if he gets picked again great, if not it doesn't matter one bit. It's parental expectations & pressure that's messing kids football up, not academies.

Good attitude, and imo is the right attitude.

I they dont enjoy it, then what is the point, as they will NO WAY make it then.

Man City offer parents "Expenses" which can be as much as £600 a month!!

I'm not sure how legal that is, but I know parents of 8 year olds that have been offered it.

I DO like the idea of coaching kids at a very young age, 7, 8 etc, as I have seen how good it can be.

But I really dont like the 'Must be signed up by 9 years old' way of doing it. It just takes so much away from what it should be for a kid.

I think they have it wrong at that point, but who am I to say what is right / wrong !!

My mates son who is now about 8/9 has been playing for United since he could kick a ball.

My mate says he is only just starting to realise what level he is playing at but he knows no different because thats the level he has always played.

To him its just a game of football I suppose.

Stayte, yeah I remember him.

What sort of incentives can the club offer the families of these kids? Match tickets? Replica shirts?

Officially you can't give anything.

And young kids must live within a hours drive of the club's training facility.

It's a disgrace the clubs are scared of missing out on a diamond so they basically take kids who are showing any promise, parents have a duty to put a stop to this but a large amount of parents see pound signs and greed takes over, the kids 99% of times end up discarded and disillusioned the PFA should step In and a tighter and more stringent code of conduct should be imposed on clubs. And when they are old enough there is only 1 club to sign for and that's BWFC. :)

Edited by Mounts Kipper

My girlfriend was tutoring some teenager who plays for city. He's Dutch but I think his family are from North Africa. Anyway city basically offered the family the full package. Said that they'll give the kid a great education on top of the football, apparently this lads little brother is even better then him and at City getting the same treatment.. I'm guessing city offering the family a massive house out in Bramhall may have helped the deal, maybe.