Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton 0 Cardiff 1 Fa Cup

stevieb

Agreed, only 1000 less than Blackburn had on for what ought to have been a pretty attractive league game

Saying it was only a tenner for adults and a fiver for 23 year olds and under i would say it was a piss poor turn out, apart from the club giving all the tickets out for free i don't know what more they can do to attracted lazy bastards back to the ground and before you all go off on 1 i mean the commercial dept not the playing staff

I'm really not sure why you'd be expecting us to rolling up in our droves when we're 18th in the league, got beat 7-1 last week, the opposition weren't a big draw and people's money's tight first month after Christmas. Saturday's crowd stood up against any of our home crowds for an early round FA cup tie in recent years. Last season, v Sunderland, round 3 at home, 12,204. Season before, v Swansea, 4th round at home, 11,597.  Anyway, we'll beg to differ  

I'm really not sure why you'd be expecting us to rolling up in our droves when we're 18th in the league, got beat 7-1 last week, the opposition weren't a big draw and people's money's tight first month after Christmas. Saturday's crowd stood up against any of our home crowds for an early round FA cup tie in recent years. Last season, v Sunderland, round 3 at home, 12,204. Season before, v Swansea, 4th round at home, 11,597.  Anyway, we'll beg to differ  

It's been far far worse than 18th in the table in the championship and yes i do expect more than 11,000 to turn up for a home 4th round FA cup tie no matter who the opposition is and no matter what year you want to go back too, thus backing up my argument that our support is fucking dog shit, not just this year.......most years

I agree, lets beg to differ  

I agree with Mannyroader - it may have been better than wigan and brum got but its still shit - people moaned that the reebok was only built for 25k capacity - can you imagine if they had built a 30/40k capacity ground

What's your point? We didn't because that would've been stupid as we'd never have filled it.

We're capable of filling this stadium, as we've shown.

When the going gets tough though, the fans stop going. This isn't a new thing.

The FA Cup isn't what it was - the advent of the Premier League saw to that. Allardyce never took it seriously. The majority of our support these days is made up of season ticket holders - who were being asked to cough up for this. 15 quid is a lot to many folk in the worst recession in a century. And why the fuck should anyone have to justify going or not going right now to watch that bunch of overpaid, underperforming sorry excuse for professional footballers, led by a guy who demonstrates on a weekly basis he doesn't know his arse from his elbow?!

The question should be why did 11 thousand people not have something better to do with their lives on a cold, rainy Saturday afternoon? And I speak as one who didn't... and went.

Surely you're not suggesting that those hit so hard by the recession can afford a season ticket but not £15? I'd say it's not being able to afford but rather not wanting to. Not judging anyone here, just saying that £15 isn't a prohibitive fee as I read your post to be

The FA Cup isn't what it was - the advent of the Premier League saw to that. Allardyce never took it seriously. The majority of our support these days is made up of season ticket holders - who were being asked to cough up for this. 15 quid is a lot to many folk in the worst recession in a century. And why the fuck should anyone have to justify going or not going right now to watch that bunch of overpaid, underperforming sorry excuse for professional footballers, led by a guy who demonstrates on a weekly basis he doesn't know his arse from his elbow?!

The question should be why did 11 thousand people not have something better to do with their lives on a cold, rainy Saturday afternoon? And I speak as one who didn't... and went.

Hear, hear.

But calling our own fans 'dogshit' is a really good way of getting them back into the Reebok, I'm sure.

I'm saying people who've put 3 or 400 quid into the club already (plus whatever other match day costs they incur, plus aways in many cases) can be forgiven for not wanting to splash out yet more, whether 15 quid or a fiver or whatever. Especially if they've been to other Cup games over the past decade or so and seen that more often than not the club isn't arsed compared with staying in the Prem.

Never understood why we can't offer a handful of Cup games as part of season ticket - as other clubs do - as a small thank you to those who've stumped up the previous summer.

And as I say, the floating fan pool isn't like it was and isn't going to be tempted by 15 quid tickets to watch Cardiff...just cos they're cheaper than league prices. It just serves to highlight how crazy on the day league prices are.

For what it's worth, I think our crowds have held up well - 18k last season and just under 16 so far this (and that's before we've played any derbies). Hopefully it shows that our Premier League years have boosted our core support.

I'm saying people who've put 3 or 400 quid into the club already (plus whatever other match day costs they incur, plus aways in many cases) can be forgiven for not wanting to splash out yet more, whether 15 quid or a fiver or whatever. Especially if they've been to other Cup games over the past decade or so and seen that more often than not the club isn't arsed compared with staying in the Prem.

Never understood why we can't offer a handful of Cup games as part of season ticket - as other clubs do - as a small thank you to those who've stumped up the previous summer.

And as I say, the floating fan pool isn't like it was and isn't going to be tempted by 15 quid tickets to watch Cardiff...just cos they're cheaper than league prices. It just serves to highlight how crazy on the day league prices are.

For what it's worth, I think our crowds have held up well - 18k last season and just under 16 so far this (and that's before we've played any derbies). Hopefully it shows that our Premier League years have boosted our core support.

Agreed, as DazBob said, when things go downhill so do crowds, especially if promotion back to the big time isn't immediate. Look at Middlesbrough, all but filling a 35,000 stadium in their Prem heyday, down to 13-14k after a couple of mediocre seasons in the Championship. I did see what looked to be quite a few dads with young lads having either a first or occasional visit on Saturday so good for them, pity they had to witness such dreary fare.

Think you've already answered that in your previous post, where you said that most who go to the cup games are the season ticket holders...

11,000 @ 15 quid = 165,000 which they'd be throwing away.

Besides, 15 quid is nothing.