Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Most Gutted You've Been Watching England...

gonzo

Portugal 2006 for me.

I was actually inconsolable after that. I was at my mum and dads renewal of their vows bollocks at the savoy. We all watched it on the big screen and to be honest that the last time i properly went through the mill watching England.

We had them on the fucking rack. Wankers.

I stormed out of the do kicked a bin all over the road in my suit and went and sat on prom till I'd calmed down.

You little winker

Guest bwfcdan

Seeing as I was only 8 at the time, losing to Argetina in 98 left me devastated. Never liked David Batty since.

South Africa 4 year back was depressing, I think it was more a case of getting worked up though over the fact we played so poor throughout the tournament. That and we should have been level at 2-2, ridiculous decision.

Edit - Agree, Ronaldo in 2006 also left me raging.

Edited by bwfcdan

98 for me, only 29 so too young to realise it was a common occurrence in 96 and had listened to the wise old heads that had said England will win fuck all in my lifetime for 2000 onwards but that game against Argentina was summat else.

Fuckin simeone, getting lauded as a genius in another thread the cunt. Batistuta, simeone and ortega. Just look at them three my blood boils.

Someone post the handbags photo.

never take any of them very well.

takes me days to get over it

hard to say which one I took the worst but they don't get any easier

im just hoping we get past the second round as I don't want it ruining my holiday

come on England

My first memories of watching England are from euro 96 (the best competition of all time IMO)

Since then I've believed every year we could win the euros or world cup

I love everything about the world cups and euros, the shit songs, flags hanging out of house windows and cars, shit shirts from the george section in asda the lot

The time of year the nation comes together to cheer on the lads playing the beautiful game

Worst memory though was 2006 getting knocked out by the Portuguese, the reason being if we got through we was driving over the day after for the next game I was fucking gutted

So fuck all you negative cunts who believe we will go out in the groups, COME ON ENGLAND

And that 1970 defeat by Germany.

Sir Alf subbed R Charlton when England were leading 2-1 to save him for the next match.

I was just getting on a train home from Birmingham New Street, and had a terrible foreboding.

Sure enough, Germany equalised, and then won in extra time.

Of course, that was the only time England were defending champions, so there was a real belief that they might do it again.

Anewman would have called for the manager's head. So would the majority of followers.

Euro 2004 in Portugal for me. I spent three weeks over there watching loads of matches but couldn't get tickets for the quarter final against Portugal.

I watched it with about 50 England fans and several thousand Portugese in the town square in Guimares on a large screen. When Sol Campbell I think scored what we thought was the winner only for it be disallowed we all went crazy only for it to be disallowed.

As we all know we ended up losing on penalties and I was extemley pissed off but stayed on, got a ticket to the final and watched Greece pull off an unexpected victory.

Euro 2004 in Portugal for me. I spent three weeks over there watching loads of matches but couldn't get tickets for the quarter final against Portugal.

I watched it with about 50 England fans and several thousand Portugese in the town square in Guimares on a large screen. When Sol Campbell I think scored what we thought was the winner only for it be disallowed we all went crazy only for it to be disallowed.

As we all know we ended up losing on penalties and I was extemley pissed off but stayed on, got a ticket to the final and watched Greece pull off an unexpected victory.

This is what life is all about.

I'm in a reet good mood tonight after reading these threads

Euro 96 was my first tournament watching with interest and that loss on penalties was so hard to take, felt like the end of the world for a very long time. France 98 wasn't much better either.

Watched the loss to Romania in 2000 on a 6th form trip in France and for some reason it wasn't as bad as the others - but then following that, Brazil 2002, Portugal 2004/2006 Croatia qualifiers 2008 were terrible.

And then in 2010 and 2012 it just didn't feel the same. Partly through getting more and more into going to Wanderers home and away I think, but also can now view things a bit more rationally than I used to. Maybe if I was 31 back in 1996, Id have just said oh well we should have lost to Spain in the last round so were just lucky to be here!

Or maybe not haha

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.