Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

23 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Said at the time I wasn't in favour of it purely from watching the NFL/College ball.

My immediate resistance was because I foresaw how it would be overused, but also because it took even further away from the ordinary fan the game we know & were brought up watching. It's not feasible to replicate (even below the Premiership) and so makes it, for me, "not football".

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, tomski said:

Dapo record in games since we gave him to St Pauli. P30 W22 D6 L2. 

Don’t read this as saying I don’t rate him. 

But to be fair our record without him since he left hasn’t been too bad, just had a quick look think we’ve won something like 23 games

1 minute ago, desperado said:

Don’t read this as saying I don’t rate him. 

But to be fair our record without him since he left hasn’t been too bad, just had a quick look think we’ve won something like 23 games

We’ll of played a lot more games and I suspect our ratio is far less in percentage. I don’t have the appetite to count it as im still annoyed about yesterday.

Selling him for less than we paid for Victor is mental and I can’t dress it up any other way.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, tomski said:

We’ll of played a lot more games and I suspect our ratio is far less in percentage. I don’t have the appetite to count it as im still annoyed about yesterday.

Selling him for less than we paid for Victor is mental and I can’t dress it up any other way.

You’re right mate. And at the moment that individual ability for someone to do something a bit different would be great to call upon!

We debated to death the rights/wrongs, the whys/why nots of his sale 10 months ago, so not going into that. 

But when you go back to some of those wins we’ve had without him, let’s take the pinnacle - the 4-0 Plymouth, at no point that afternoon was anybody missing Dapo!

The issues we have at the minute should be in relation to how we consistently get to those same levels we did on that sunny afternoon, getting the most out of the squad we currently have. 

1 minute ago, desperado said:

You’re right mate. And at the moment that individual ability for someone to do something a bit different would be great to call upon!

We debated to death the rights/wrongs, the whys/why nots of his sale 10 months ago, so not going into that. 

But when you go back to some of those wins we’ve had without him, let’s take the pinnacle - the 4-0 Plymouth, at no point that afternoon was anybody missing Dapo!

The issues we have at the minute should be in relation to how we consistently get to those same levels we did on that sunny afternoon, getting the most out of the squad we currently have. 

Aye no point harping back I suppose I but it’s a big part of my issues with Evatt.

We clearly play a system our players aren’t good enough to play yet we never change.

Carlisle fans couldn’t believe they’d won yesterday, they’ll not pick an easier away game (I know this is something fans say but I genuinely believe it.)

Losing the 3 games we have this season has been piss poor. 1 maybe 2 is isolation but 3/11 with the easiest run in we’ve had tells me what I knew a year ago. We aren’t going up.

we’ll lose Oxford and Portsmouth and then the narrative will be in and around till Jan. No idea on what will happen then but going off last Jan I’m not that excited.

• Members
2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Personally I'm happy to accept that referees are human and mistakes will happen. Too many, by any one person, & they get binned.

The fckg smug bastards in TV studios are responsible for this. Many years ago they began abusing the technology uniquely available to them & castigating refs who they proved, via that, had made a hairline decision. Now those fckrs have the gall to criticise the outcome.

As for POGMOL they should just fckg fck off & keep fckg off till they return all the way back to where they started ... & then should restart fckg off.

(Here are a few 'u's for those missing them. uuuuu).

Aye started with the likes of Andy Gray using numerous camera angles unavailable to the ref to prove it was the wrong decision 

Pundits would still disagree whether it was a foul, penalty etc despite all the camera angles 

Then Gray would make up his own version of the rules such as winning the ball means it couldn't be a foul and people lap it up as gospel 

Footballers and pundits must work in one of the very few industries where not knowing the rules is allowed 

• Members
30 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Aye started with the likes of Andy Gray using numerous camera angles unavailable to the ref to prove it was the wrong decision 

Pundits would still disagree whether it was a foul, penalty etc despite all the camera angles 

Then Gray would make up his own version of the rules such as winning the ball means it couldn't be a foul and people lap it up as gospel 

Footballers and pundits must work in one of the very few industries where not knowing the rules is allowed 

Yeah, it's why the suggestion some make about interviewing the referees after the full-time whistle to explain their decision is a non-starter

It'd just be used by the pundits as an opportunity to berate them

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I'd pay very good money to hear a ref say "Yeah ? Well, it's alright for you sitting on your fat arses and checking your replays & slow motion. I'm doing this in real time".

Thing is, he no longer needs to because it seems VAR is there to correct his decisions. We used to play as kids without a ref and we all knew when a free kick should be awarded or who touched it last for throws or corners/goal kicks. 
Just let 22 play and have VAR as ‘big brother’.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

We used to play as kids without a ref and we all knew when a free kick should be awarded or who touched it last for throws or corners/goal kicks. 

Absolutely. It was the big fckr & the kid with a lunatic dad, or the one who owns the ball on Hilton Estate in my day.

• Members
12 hours ago, tomski said:

Aye no point harping back I suppose I but it’s a big part of my issues with Evatt.

We clearly play a system our players aren’t good enough to play yet we never change.

Carlisle fans couldn’t believe they’d won yesterday, they’ll not pick an easier away game (I know this is something fans say but I genuinely believe it.)

Losing the 3 games we have this season has been piss poor. 1 maybe 2 is isolation but 3/11 with the easiest run in we’ve had tells me what I knew a year ago. We aren’t going up.

we’ll lose Oxford and Portsmouth and then the narrative will be in and around till Jan. No idea on what will happen then but going off last Jan I’m not that excited.

Fucking hell. Wouldn't want you at my shoulder in the trenches FFS.

I would not be surprised at all if we get something from our visits to Oxford and Pompey. It's a BWFC tradition to perform well against the 'better' teams.

Shoulders back, chest out, stiffen that spine son.

• Members
12 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Didn’t realise Plymouth lost 7 last season

Aye and can you imagine the reaction to a 4-0 pasting at Wembley by our lot if it had been the other way round?

We are just around two months into a 9 month marathon and there seems to be plenty already thinking of throwing in the towel. It will be reet. Get behind them.

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Aye and can you imagine the reaction to a 4-0 pasting at Wembley by our lot if it had been the other way round?

We are just around two months into a 9 month marathon and there seems to be plenty already thinking of throwing in the towel. It will be reet. Get behind them.

Nothing wrong with a positive outlook & I will be certainly behind them

however it’s not right this season combination of things not sure how this will pan out tbh 

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I would not be surprised at all if we get something from our visits to Oxford and Pompey. It's a BWFC tradition to perform well against the 'better' teams.

Hope you’re right. Suspect you’re not. I’ll second the trenches thing too 😂 I wouldn’t fancy it either.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

It is perfectly possible to get positive results there, especially if we have players back and fit.

At the moment though, with the form we're showing, I'm not confident.

• Members
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It is perfectly possible to get positive results there, especially if we have players back and fit.

At the moment though, with the form we're showing, I'm not confident.

Understandable. There were those at pre season stage who doubted we could be where we are now.

Only some of us have a crystal ball ;)

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Understandable. There were those at pre season stage who doubted we could be where we are now.

Only some of us have a crystal ball ;)

What are the winning numbers for this week's Euro millions!

If I get enough, I'll slip Sharon 10m for squad building.