Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I said earlier in the season that Everton had too much to get relegated- they were on a run of form at the time.

Now I'm not so sure; lose om Saturday, and they're really in the mire.

Gravel voice just been on saying a number of new injuries too. 

Going down is 1 thing, and most fans deep down get that its been coming, and is part on the game.

But its the mess we are in off the field, and how bad the club has been run, that could send the club further down.

Thats where the panic and fume and sometime OTT reaction is coming from.

• Members
7 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Will they pot Dyche 

They have to sooner or later. A big club like that (they are whether we like it or not) can't be eternal relegation struggle combatants.

There's slew of relatively successful scouse managers floating around in the EFL. Maybe this is what's needed?

New broom sweeping clean and all that?

After Ancelotti, going up the tree seems futile?

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Pablo said:

Going down is 1 thing, and most fans deep down get that its been coming, and is part on the game.

But its the mess we are in off the field, and how bad the club has been run, that could send the club further down.

Thats where the panic and fume and sometime OTT reaction is coming from.

Been seeing a few articles, including some from an Everton fan site thing.

Some serious concerns about stuff that has happened and still maybe happening, and the potential for yet more points deductions.

If they were to go down, and get a hit next season, that would be grim.

Mind you, there could be others getting hit too.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Pablo said:

Yep, shoe-horning all the best names in regardless of best position has worked for us in the past....

I think that's more my ignorance of who plays where exactly 

I always knew lampard and Gerrard wouldn't work but my PL knowledge these days is so superficial 

I guess Bellingham can't play so deep

14 minutes ago, Zico said:

I always knew lampard and Gerrard wouldn't work but my PL knowledge these days is so superficial 

He can. But he's currently the best no 10 in the world and top goal scorer for Real Madrid. Moving him deep would be criminal. 

If we are playing with one no'10 it can only be him really. 

We are totally hamstrung by the back line and the need for two holders protecting it.

...we've had all this time to try and blood some new defenders :(

59 minutes ago, Zico said:

Foden, Palmer and Bellingham ALL occupy the middle...and even when Palmer and Foden have played "right" they drift in to become central and all their productivity comes centrally.

Bellingham probably the bext 10 on the planet right now, so we just cant play all 3. Maybe 2...but than means no Saka, who is probabnly the only "winger" type we have that will run at the full back out wide.....maybe Antony Gordon too now...thats why I think he still looks at Rashford.

Its too easy to stick the names together, but all this attacking threat is pointless if the midfield can't support it....and thats where Philips was so bloody good with Rice at the euros...but we don't have anyone to do that roll now in the big games....and its exactly why Henderson / Philips still get picked...maybe its Manoo's time now.

Edited by Pablo

35 minutes ago, gonzo said:

He can. But he's currently the best no 10 in the world and top goal scorer for Real Madrid. Moving him deep would be criminal. 

If we are playing with one no'10 it can only be him really. 

We are totally hamstrung by the back line and the need for two holders protecting it.

...we've had all this time to try and blood some new defenders :(

Bingo, all these friendlies and the qualifiers that we steam-roll every single year, would have been the time to integrate young players, Branthwaite, Guehi and colwill, Mitchell should have all had loads of mins in the last 18 months.....but Southgate has stuck with Maguire & wasted mins on a 33 year old Lewis Dunk!!!

I think we lack really good central midfielders, we need to address that issue.

13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think Bellingham has developed recently and added more physicality to his game, and now provides the attacking threat, and a ball winning ability that gives us options to partner him with Rice.

He has not played central midfield once all season for Real Madrid.

He has 2 or 3 players behind him in every singe game, Modric / Camavinga / Kroos / Tchouameni / Valverde.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Pablo said:

He has not played central midfield once all season for Real Madrid.

He has 2 or 3 players behind him in every singe game, Modric / Camavinga / Kroos / Tchouameni / Valverde.

That maybe the case, but watching his England performances, for me his work off the ball has improved tremendously. 

A more mature player now.

If Southgate gets that out of him, and it allows us a slightly different approach (even as an alternative) then that's a good option. 

He won't have an issue playing centre mid if needs be he's played there his entire career up to this season. 

Going off the last game we might be going for a more fluid system. Attackers/mid seemed to be interchanging and popping up everywhere.

Horses for courses with him and mainoo there I suspect

Edited by deeane Koontz

14 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That maybe the case, but watching his England performances, for me his work off the ball has improved tremendously. 

If Southgate gets that out of him, and it allows us a slightly different approach (even as an alternative) then that's a good option. 

For me thats counter productive, he is out best player, use him where he is at his best.

• Members

Simeone's histrionics as amusing as usual. Enjoyed seeing them and the rebels go out.

I think that everyone knows that this years CL winner comes from the one game tonight.

15 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That's like playing Kane in Centre Midfield. 

Bellingham could play anywhere on the pitch he's that good. He plays no 10 for the biggest club on the planet and has been exceptional. 

If Southgate had bothered to let some other CBs have a go we could afford to use Stones like he's often used for City.

But no. We have pack our CDM with pivots to protect our weak as piss back line.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

That's like playing Kane in Centre Midfield. 

Bellingham could play anywhere on the pitch he's that good. He plays no 10 for the biggest club on the planet and has been exceptional. 

If Southgate had bothered to let some other CBs have a go we could afford to use Stones like he's often used for City.

But no. We have pack our CDM with pivots to protect our weak as piss back line.

No, it isn't. Not remotely. 

8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

No, it isn't. Not remotely. 

You said you wanted to partner him with Rice. That means as a pivot in CDM role.

Ie moving him deeper. By half the pitch.

I'd say it is.

• Members
7 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If we don’t sort our centre half issues then we’re gonna waste another “Golden Generation”

How do we sort that?  We just don't have many that are very good.

4 hours ago, DazBob said:

‘Golden generation’ I hated that national team. Knobbers to a man. Hate the term as well. They were rubbish.

6 hours ago, DazBob said:

Never know unless you play them. 

There's plenty in better form than Maguire and Dunk anyway.