Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Here We Go - Itk Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

• Site Supporter

Has anyone got any news of Everton's transfer activity to bring the thread back towards track?

I've not, but if you put your thumb over the windscreen of the car in tyldsley white's avatar, it looks like a whale

Edited by Alf Hartigan

Compared to what went before Garside & Davies have been relatively successful & have been at the helm during the clubs must

successful period since the fifties .All things pass & we are in a bit of a hole just now , I along with probably everyone on this site

haven't got a clue how we will escape our current predicament & its no good slagging off the 'management' because its too late for

that in fact some really do believe that we should have backed Allardyce more & piled up more debt than we already have!

Lennon has inherited the shortest of the short straws so lets just hope he can work a miracle (as SA once did with zero funds) & get

us on the road upwards . I'll be happy when I start looking up the league & not down it.

But when we were at burnden everything was rosey and we got 80k a week even midweek

Would people have preferred us not to have thrown money at trying to stop and then go back up?

Or should we have cut costs as soon as Sam left and dropped down the league to end up in the same position now but with less debt?

• Moderators

I don't know how much of that is or isn't true.....I would be surprised if Gartside was Davies accountant though. Irrespective though, there really is nothing we can do about the situation, other than hope that somebody comes and buys the clubs, or a miracle happens and we get promoted this season.

It's turned into a sad state of affairs now that it seems that Davies is being painted as a villain in some quarters

wait til the fracking story breaks

In an ideal world Cheese, we wouldn't be where we are ie we wouldn't have allowed the debt to rise to the levels it has - levels which no other club apart from the likes of Chelsea and City has managed (and them by spending £30m on every player they buy - something we never did, despite what a rewriting of history by some often implies we did). Like an alcoholic, recognising you have a problem needs to be the first step. Not blithely carrying on - handing out more matches to the arsonist who just burnt your house down, to mix metaphors.

There are lots of qualified chief executives out there with experience of not running businesses into the ground, or of rescuing those which have been. How about we appoint one? And how about ED spells out what his intentions really are? If he loves the club so much, why does he never speak to the fans, to put them in the picture? And why did he, until very recently, charge a rate of interest on his investment that no bank would have given him?

• Site Supporter

In an ideal world Cheese, we wouldn't be where we are ie we wouldn't have allowed the debt to rise to the levels it has - levels which no other club apart from the likes of Chelsea and City has managed (and them by spending £30m on every player they buy - something we never did, despite what a rewriting of history by some often implies we did). Like an alcoholic, recognising you have a problem needs to be the first step. Not blithely carrying on - handing out more matches to the arsonist who just burnt your house down, to mix metaphors.

There are lots of qualified chief executives out there with experience of not running businesses into the ground, or of rescuing those which have been. How about we appoint one? And how about ED spells out what his intentions really are? If he loves the club so much, why does he never speak to the fans, to put them in the picture? And why did he, until very recently, charge a rate of interest on his investment that no bank would have given him?

Can you name one of these many qualified Chief Executives who have saved football clubs? And it's common knowledge that Davies wants to sell.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/bolton-wanderers/11151710/Bolton-Wanderers-for-sale-reveals-chairman-Phil-Gartside.html

What other information do we need on top of that?

I'm not sure where I stand on this. I think ED has probably done alright out of Bolton (no issue with that) and now wants rid.

Problem is it appears no one wants to buy us currently so we are where we are till someone does.

Fwiw I think it's as an attractive time as any to buy BWFC due to the premier league riches and our infrastructure etc. A punt could be quite rewarding in years to come.

One thing I don't get is this 'I bet folk weren't moaning when we were good' nonsense? Of course no one was, would you keep supporting a government that was good 10 years ago and now shit blindly?

I'm now at the point where I'd want any fucker to take over as some investment would be better than the none of the last 2 years, but untill then Coywm!

• Moderators

I'm not sure where I stand on this. I think ED has probably done alright out of Bolton (no issue with that) and now wants rid.

Problem is it appears no one wants to buy us currently so we are where we are till someone does.

Fwiw I think it's as an attractive time as any to buy BWFC due to the premier league riches and our infrastructure etc. A punt could be quite rewarding in years to come.

One thing I don't get is this 'I bet folk weren't moaning when we were good' nonsense? Of course no one was, would you keep supporting a government that was good 10 years ago and now shit blindly?

I'm now at the point where I'd want any fucker to take over as some investment would be better than the none of the last 2 years, but untill then Coywm!

you clearly know the asking price

fancy sharing it?

maybe mr jack n snowball fancy the gig

• Site Supporter

No, but governments are elected democratically and can be ousted. BWFC is a football club, owned by Eddie Davies...

And a football club I WILL always support blindly, regardless of the situation.

Edited by Cheese

• Moderators

anyway, i think the point is we were spending beyond our means under allardyce

we were spending beyond our means under megson

we were spending beyond our means under that cnut coyle - 12th highest wage bill in the league

all was ok and possibly even sustainable, til the tit got us relegated

i didnt read anybody suggesting we should cut the wage bill, until we were relegated and even then there were plenty heads in the sand

Oh that's alright then.

Eh? Eddie Davies owns Burnden Leisure and wants Phil Gartside to run it. How is that anybody's business but Eddie Davies and the BL board? He can employ whom he chooses. As can you in your own business. And yes that is alright. In fact it is more than alright, it is the only way it can be.

Name one of the chief execs you have in mind.

ED has always stayed behind the scenes why should he change now ?

He charged us a rate of interest that was lower than the banks would have charged us or lent more money than the banks.

PGs job is to do what ED tells him, given he ain't got sacked safe to assume ED is happy with him, but when you send on your list of potential chief execs who knows he may realise what a fool he has been.

No, but governments are elected democratically and can be ousted. BWFC is a football club, owned by Eddie Davies...

And a football club I WILL always support blindly, regardless of the situation.

Yes I realise that and why I tread carefully on the word support rather than use the word vote. It's a shit analogy tbf as supporting our football team is different to anything else

anyway, i think the point is we were spending beyond our means under allardyce

we were spending beyond our means under megson

we were spending beyond our means under that cnut coyle - 12th highest wage bill in the league

all was ok and possibly even sustainable, til the tit got us relegated

i didnt read anybody suggesting we should cut the wage bill, until we were relegated and even then there were plenty heads in the sand

Exactly.

And we carried on throwing money about once we were relegated.

Now we are paying for it. Just like a host of other clubs have that didnt go straight back up.

It's really not that hard to understand and I don't get why the bedsheets have to come out because the wheels came off. We can't keep throwing money at it because the compute says no. Now we have to just join in with the rest of the championship that aren't loaded and crack on with it.

Shit happens.

Yeah, the running of the club which represents our town, which thousands and thousands of people (and their forebears) have given their lives to supporting, is nothing to do with those people at all. Just as long as ED and PG are happy. If you'd been around at the time of the Chartists you'd have been one of those going 'eh, the vote? What do we need that for? Let's just let the mill owner decide. It's not fert likes of us'. Kinell.

Yeah, the running of the club which represents our town, which thousands and thousands of people (and their forebears) have given their lives to supporting, is nothing to do with those people at all. Just as long as ED and PG are happy. If you'd been around at the time of the Chartists you'd have been one of those going 'eh, the vote? What do we need that for? Let's just let the mill owner decide. It's not fert likes of us'. Kinell.

This is beginning to sound like a scene from Brass with ED paying Mr Hardacre.

• Site Supporter

What are you suggesting everyone should do then? Stop supporting Bolton? I don't think there's much else you can do to affect the situation.

But gonzo, the debt was rising fast when the good times were rolling (when TV revenues were going through the roof, we were finishing way above where we'd budgeted for and when our wage to turnover ratio was never over 70 per cent). That's my main beef. Yes we pissed some money away on bad signings in the last year in the Prem and first year or so down here, but name a club who hasn't wasted money - but has run up a debt anything like ours. And who oversaw these purchases? The likes of Mears and Andrews? Since getting his one big decision right - appointing Sam - he seems to have been asleep on the job. And you couldn't turn the radio on at one time without hearing him giving his view on the state of football. And now? With BWFC in the shit? Not a fucking dickie bird.