Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

New Combi Boiler

Help needed please people.

The hot water pressure dropped to a mere dribble on Monday night and is not running hot at all. Had an engineer look at it, and he says the fan is knackered. He's estimating a cost of about £300 to get it fixed, but due to the age of the boiler he reckons I might as well get rid and buy a new one. It's a Potterton Puma 100, and I think they finished making them about 2001. I only moved in last July, so have no idea of it's actual age, but it must be at least 14 years old. First question is, do I have this fixed or scrap it and buy a fancy new one? I'll be honest, I know nowt about boilers. The risk is I cough up for the repair, but something else knackers up six months later.

Paying for a new boiler plus the cost of fitting outright is pretty much out of the question. I had a look at Helplink last night. They let you pay off a new boiler over ten years, with a ten year warranty and annual service, all in for £17 per month. However, a few message boards I read say their boilers are cheap and they're a bunch of cowboys. Has anyone any experience with these lot? I'm gonna have a look at the British Gas website this morning to see what they're offering.

Has anyone recently bought a new combi boiler and have any recommendations of who to go with?

I recently got a new boiler fitted, our old one was 25 years old.....so we needed some new pipework as well

British Gas pricing was over double what I actually ended up paying. In all we got a new combination fitted for just under £2500 I think.

I recently got a new boiler fitted, our old one was 25 years old.....so we needed some new pipework as well

British Gas pricing was over double what I actually ended up paying. In all we got a new combination fitted for just under £2500 I think.

That will be half that at Northern prices

I have a Potterton Puma and have been paying 15 a month for boiler care, which is worth it for peace of mind. Be wary of these boiler schemes, usually the cheap boilers cost more to maintain in the future. I'll probably have to buy a new boiler in next few years, but plan to run this as long as possible. Its had a few repairs and so far they haven't struggled to get parts.

• Moderators

i've got a standard boiler for the central hating and hot water

its in the garage

when it fires up the house rocks

it must be well over 30 years old

ive spent about 50 quid on it in 10 years

its staying til it dies

ps id have a combi but i think its fresh pipework and ive got solid floors

Wouldn't spend hundreds on an old boiler like that. Could be hundreds more in a few months. Plus, in my experience, they fix one thing and realise another part is bust too.

(p.s. can't speak highly enough of British Gas cover, £15 a month and they've virtually ripped out and replaced the entirety of my shitheap of a boiler over last couple of years and always come round the very next day)

For an install though find a local plumber

Worcester Bosch are best boilers I'm told 

• Moderators

I've got a Worcester, it's pretty shit, takes ages to heat water and hot water plus heating is too much to ask.

The last house had a Pottertons, must be cheap shit as Barratts fit them. It was wobbling after 5 years.

One before had a Baxi, now that was shit. The fan at the top used to catch, looked like something from the pound shop. The nice people who serviced it fixed a dripping outlet pipe by plugging it up with bread. Mentioning no names but they are in Bradshaw...

Try signing up to British Gas when your boiler is fucked - they wanted £70 a month for a minimum fixed period, two years iirc. The actual fault, minor, cost £150 to remedy in the end. I wasn't paying British Gas almost the cost of a new one to tinker with it over two years...Btw, anyone who doesn't like paying owt for nowt - Ebico, the no standing charge energy provider, they're working out tip-top for me so far...

Got a quote from British Gas when they were offering £400 off. Their reduced quote was still twice as much as I ended up paying like for like.

They did tell me that my water pressure was too low for a combination boiler so. good idea to check

I had a new combi boiler fitted last month for a tenant @ £1550 fitted..can recommend the guy too if interested

slum landlord :)

I had a new combi last year, think it was about £3k. It's a Baxi platinum which I pulled my face at with the Preston connection but it's a belter which has halved my gas bill.

slum landlord :)

I had a new combi last year, think it was about £3k. It's a Baxi platinum which I pulled my face at with the Preston connection but it's a belter which has halved my gas bill.

Fair play to your mum. That's a lot for a doll house :D