Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Great Big Debt Thread

gonzo

There is supposed to be an article in the Sun (Nixon),which says the club is for sale at £30 million. Eddie has reduced the asking price apparently.

£30M is a steal really, especially as we have around £500M worth of assets

There is supposed to be an article in the Sun (Nixon),which says the club is for sale at £30 million. Eddie has reduced the asking price apparently.

The asking price is neither here nor there. It's all about what he will do about the debt. That's the issue with any potential sale.

I just had a quick look at the 2013 balance sheet which was the last set of accounts produced as a PLC before switching to a private limited company. The total assets on that balance sheet is £50 million and that includes the land, hotel and academy. The liabilities on that balance sheet are £148 million and there are carefully worded comments made in the chairman statement in relation to the business being a "going concern" with the support of Eddie.

I think that we have seen a further deterioration of the financials since 2013 which is highlighted by the £181 million of debt in the press this week.

I don't think Eddie has any more money to put in. His net worth is shown as £40 million and he has been dropped in the wealth list due to the money he has put into BWFC so even HIS league position has dropped!! He started off with a reported wealth of £150 million several years ago but clearly has sunk much of that into the club.

Any new investor or owner will want their money to go towards the recovery of the business and to benefit the club on the pitch so in real terms Eddie will be lucky to get 10p in the £1 for the existing debt.

Ok, so I just looked at the latest accounts filed at Companies House which run to 30th June 2014 for Burnden Leisure Ltd . Total assets on the balance sheet including fixed/non current assets total £50.3 million. Current assets total £7.6 million giving total assets of £57.9 million. Current liabilities are £38.4 million and long term liabilities are £179.2 million. I cant see any other assets and the net worth of the club is detailed as negative at £162.9 million (in the red)

I am not sure why a few folks think the club has more assets to be honest. The last PLC accounts stated it included the hotel, land and academy.

What assets? Bit of land and weigh in the steel at Metro Salvage?

Bit of land. :)

Dead cheap is land!....

Bit scurrilous, but I went onto Company houses a few week back & looked at our Phil.

Long story short, CH currently have him involved with 13 companies, total assets £110M. Majority of the 13 had zero assets, then I got bored, remembered I had a life & went to the pub

Edited by BOWTUN BAKED

• Moderators

Why can't somebody do something with it? More shops or houses maybe.

You won't get planning permission for the Lostock academy land. The Middlebrook land has more chance, I'd say that's our largest asset.

Without planning permission land is pretty worthless.