Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burnley 2 Wanderers 0

burnden

Spot on that mounts.

Some of the most loyal fans I know are clinging on by the skin of their teeth. Every home game is like going to the dentist. None of use actually want to go but feel we have to.

Folk are dropping like flies in disillusion more than anything else.

It's just a really shit situation. I still don't think we will go down and certainly don't blame Neil Lennon. But our support is dwindling,people have simply had enough.

It is spot on. Even if the answer from someone on here was well just stop going if you don't like it! The feel of the club is different now there is absolutely no interest from the owners we are just drifting downwards. You only get abuse on here for asking what it is that Gartside is actually doing to justify his huge salary. I've followed them since late seventies so my head hasn't been turned by the Premiership years, that was always going to end sometime. 

Maybe it is time to listen to the 'clever folk' and 'toodle pip' no fun just being punch bag every week. No problem at all with Lennon he just hasn't got good enough players/support from above to do anything other than battle relegation and next year even less money. A really shit situation indeed.

It is spot on. Even if the answer from someone on here was well just stop going if you don't like it! The feel of the club is different now there is absolutely no interest from the owners we are just drifting downwards. You only get abuse on here for asking what it is that Gartside is actually doing to justify his huge salary. I've followed them since late seventies so my head hasn't been turned by the Premiership years, that was always going to end sometime.

Maybe it is time to listen to the 'clever folk' and 'toodle pip' no fun just being punch bag every week. No problem at all with Lennon he just hasn't got good enough players/support from above to do anything other than battle relegation and next year even less money. A really shit situation indeed.

I'm not sure how you know exactly what salary PG is currently on or what he does day to day?

Granted the owner seems to have lost interest, he certainly wants rid which is why the club is so publicly up for sale. However unless someone wants to step forward and put their hard earned money at risk then we are a little stuck, we can't force someone to buy us and give us £8m for a striker!!

The fans tried to crowd funding one and we got to £1,000 so we aren't really in a position to tell anyone else to put millions in when our own effort was so pathetic!!

When do the we shoulder our responsibility for the shit circumstances? Attendances have collapsed & the atmosphere is non existent - apathy set in long before we got relegated out of the Prem

• Moderators

I'm not sure how you know exactly what salary PG is currently on or what he does day to day?

Granted the owner seems to have lost interest, he certainly wants rid which is why the club is so publicly up for sale. However unless someone wants to step forward and put their hard earned money at risk then we are a little stuck, we can't force someone to buy us and give us £8m for a striker!!

The fans tried to crowd funding one and we got to £1,000 so we aren't really in a position to tell anyone else to put millions in when our own effort was so pathetic!!

When do the we shoulder our responsibility for the shit circumstances? Attendances have collapsed & the atmosphere is non existent - apathy set in long before we got relegated out of the Prem

you won't be popular

i fear you'll be herded into the PG lover circle

what snowball and his ilk don't get is that nobody is happy with where we are at

what some of us realise is that you can't make folk come and buy a loss making business

and history of why we are where are is utterly fcuking irrelevant in the scheme of things

this is where we are at and its what we have to deal with

Maybe it is, but I couldn't care about that I'm a Bolton fan and in my eyes he's destroying the club.

I can't agree that's he's destroying the club. A man that has bankrolled us for so long that has now decided to cut back simply cannot be accused of that. Maybe he should have held back whilst we were in the prem, but that would be lacking ambition. We are were we are. It's shite I'll agree, but unless we get massive investment it's going to be a slog. Even more reason to get behind them and try and get us out of this position.

• Site Supporter

you won't be popular

what snowball and his ilk don't get is that nobody is happy with where we are at

what some of us realise is that you can't make folk come and buy a loss making business

and history of why we are where are is utterly fcuking irrelevant in the scheme of things

And what, dear sir, is everyone going to moan like fuck about if we follow this particular way of thinking?

Laying blame and saying I Told You So is a key aspect of many personalities hereabouts.

We need someone to hang for the crimes that have been committed.

Tsk.

Another one that agrees with mounts on this. More and more I know people dropping off and its sad. They aren't JCL's and I think people hard to take atm unless they are smashed and that's not an option for everyone.

Can't help but feel we are delaying the inevitable even if we do survive this year without investment.

It's a big ask to get someone to come out and watch us get worse year on year. Don't blame anyone for dropping off and find it quite sad reading some of the stories on here.

you won't be popular

Exactly. Nobody is happy about this situation.

Folk just need to realise that whilst ED owns BWFC,Gartisde is going nowhere. No point crying about it,it's just how it is.

It doesn't make you a Gartside cheerleader because you don't want him hounded out. There's a much bigger picture than Phil Gartsides employment.

Most rational fans I know are completely at a loss. Nobody knows who is to blame and how to get out of this mess.

Manager after manager comes in and fails,all whilst the tools they have are diminished on a yearly basis.

I've no idea if Lennon is safe or not,but history says the manager at the bottom of the league generally loses his job. The chairman as far as I can see is safe as houses.

We need results pronto. It's a simple as that. Investment is a pipedream.

It's not really anything to do with being shit either - it's about a lack of direction.

Football fans more than anything need a dream to buy into. It doesn't have to be winning the Champions League - it just needs to be something to get behind.

At the moment - I just see a club which is stagnating and until it's either sold and a new owner gives a new vision or we go into administration and develop a backs to the wall, them vs us mentality then this purgatory is going to continue.

My fear is it will drag on so long as to do irreparable damage.

I love Bolton Wanderers but going gets harder and harder to justify.

My son whose had a season ticket since he was 5 finds it boring as fuck.

He's now 11 and the pull of his mates going out has seen him miss a few games this season for the first time.

It's hard to argue with him.He has a very valid point.Season on season it's just disappointment all the time.

It's not really anything to do with being shit either - it's about a lack of direction.

Football fans more than anything need a dream to buy into. It doesn't have to be winning the Champions League - it just needs to be something to get behind.

At the moment - I just see a club which is stagnating and until it's either sold and a new owner gives a new vision or we go into administration and develop a backs to the wall, them vs us mentality then this purgatory is going to continue.

My fear is it will drag on so long as to do irreparable damage.

Great post, could not put it better myself.

Malc for Chairman!

Funnily enough the only organisation I've ever been chairman of was the Amalgamated Sports Club at college. The golden rule was that funded Easter tours went in rotation, Football, Rugby, Hockey.

Every year someone pleaded special circumstances, such as being on a 4-year languages course where their sport got a tour in their third year while they were abroad. The answer was that for every one that was unlucky, another got 2 tours in 4 years, so tough luck.

Afterwards the Chemistry tutor, who had been present, said that if ever ICI asked him to nominate a chairman he knew who to say. I thought nothing of it at the time, but later found that he had taught at least two ICI directors.

When the job did come up John Harvey Jones got the gig. And look what has happened to ICI since then. (Oblivion)

Can see why folk are pissed off but it has never entered my head to stop going .We have been here before the eighties were a complete write off & much worse than current times granted I don't go to many away games (shitfan) & I know from past experience that's were the rot sets in morale wise & I agree that there is zero input from the leaders in the boardroom & that needs to change soon.

This is exactly why the club has to show some direction some ambition, proper loyal fans who are losing the will to live, loads have already jacked it, the number of times I am going has drastically reduced away from home (even though I am a season ticket holder) were not talking johhny come latelys and part timers we are talking about the hardcore fans the fabric and fibre of BWFC, the club needs to act, there is lack of everything that drives a club forward and connects the fans to the club, pride, passion, a modicum of ambition some dialogue with fans from the top not some bod whos employed by the club but has no connection, we need direction a plan from our supposed leaders, the current status quo is not sustainable. When back in the dark days the club were on its arse we all got behind Nat Lofthouse, pledged to help the club as best we could but now the club seems lost, we have no roots, no figure head with a rallying call to get behind, the club is in grave danger of losing everything wonderful that the club was built on and the powers that be seem to be fiddling while Rome burns.

I think we're in the shit but I also don't think it's as bad as that

When they do that in the cup I don't go. If they start that in the league they can fuck right off. That'll be me done with this shite.

Upper tiers are shite anyway. Infact fuck it, let's be done with a ground and get everyone stood 5 feet from the touchline behind some blue rope.

you won't be popular

Me and my 'ilk'? Yeah because you know everything about my views .Want to hear them about Deadly Doug?

Don't agree with Birch slamming the fans yet again (the attempt to raise ALF money may have been futile but at least they cared) yet defending the chairman to the hilt. Pretty sure Gartside's salary has been published before now and that people in the club have commented on the distance he keeps these days but I know it's pointless keep arguing this, we are bottom of the league. How we get out of it is what matters.

I know nobody is happy and I also know getting rid of Gartside is not going to change anything unless new owners/investers come in and that is just looking like pie in the sky/ wishful thinking.

Agree totally with Kent's last post (never thought I'd say that) Just give us something to get behind

• Site Supporter

Upper tiers are shite anyway. Infact fuck it, let's be done with a ground and get everyone stood 5 feet from the touchline behind some blue rope.

Upper tiers are shite?

Very strange comment. If you mean that you get a great view of the pitch so can actually see what is happening, so it's shite, ok. - strange.

If you mean it's just shit. It's a bit like saying your hallway is shite, or that car-park is shite.

Anyway i sit in the upper tier, I'm not a snob, it's more of an it chose me situation. I don't suck werthers either (since she moved away), I do shout, a lot, and annoy my mates with my "passion" , but I done find the area/section - shite.

Yours Faithfully

Mr R White

(Werthers sucking Snob WSU BTID COYWM)

Me and my 'ilk'? Yeah because you know everything about my views .Want to hear them about Deadly Doug?

Don't agree with Birch slamming the fans yet again (the attempt to raise ALF money may have been futile but at least they cared) yet defending the chairman to the hilt. Pretty sure Gartside's salary has been published before now and that people in the club have commented on the distance he keeps these days but I know it's pointless keep arguing this, we are bottom of the league. How we get out of it is what matters.

I know nobody is happy and I also know getting rid of Gartside is not going to change anything unless new owners/investers come in and that is just looking like pie in the sky/ wishful thinking.

Agree totally with Kent's last post (never thought I'd say that) Just give us something to get behind

My point was that we only know what PG's wages were some time a go as the accounts are historic, for all we know he may currently be on a lot less. I would expect so based on the reduction in overall turnover but we won't know until the accounts for this season are published.

His main aim At the moment is to find new investment, that's a very difficult task that will likely take time. It's not something you can measure looking at a league table either so again I do t see how we can call him with no knowledge of the facts. For all we know he may have got close to 1 or 2 really good deals - we don't know for sure do we. ED hasn't sacked him yet so he must be doing something right behind the scenes.

My dig at the ALF crowd funding is in defence of ED.,many people want 1 fan (ED) to risk millions when the other 20,000-30,000 of us are only willing to put £1,000 in - it's hypocritical at best

My point was that we only know what PG's wages were some time a go as the accounts are historic, for all we know he may currently be on a lot less. I would expect so based on the reduction in overall turnover but we won't know until the accounts for this season are published.

His main aim At the moment is to find new investment, that's a very difficult task that will likely take time. It's not something you can measure looking at a league table either so again I do t see how we can call him with no knowledge of the facts. For all we know he may have got close to 1 or 2 really good deals - we don't know for sure do we. ED hasn't sacked him yet so he must be doing something right behind the scenes.

My dig at the ALF crowd funding is in defence of ED.,many people want 1 fan (ED) to risk millions when the other 20,000-30,000 of us are only willing to put £1,000 in - it's hypocritical at best

The fans put money in week in week out by spending money with the club. You do so willingly and to support the club.

The Chairman and owner are the custodians of the club it is their job to make sure the finances are in place to keep the club running. Because at the moment there is not enough money not surle why it is hypocritical of the fans to expect the custodians to do something.

I get we are in a mess but it is the chairman/ owner who have made decisions that have seen us end up here. I do not think every decision was wrong but in any business if you run the ship and get paid accordingly it is the overall outcome that matters. I understand not giving Sam money , I partially agree with giving little Sam the job, I did not get the meg son appointment, was not 100% convinced by coyle, thought Friedman was a terrible choice and think Lennon is better than I expected.

All based on what I thought at the time not with hindsight.

I do not know have great insight into the clubs finances or salarary structure so can not comment on how much we have paid players, but I do know I renew three season tickets every year and buy shit in the shop. That is my side of the deal.

The chairman/owner made the appointments and sanctioned the signings and should have great insight into the finances of the club. For the fans to expect there to enough in the coffers to buy a striker rather than having to chuck extra money in themselves is not hypocritical it is common sense.

Edited by Ani